Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Sep 2014, 22:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

M and N are both nonzero integers. Is M/N a prime number?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 20 Mar 2007
Posts: 62
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

M and N are both nonzero integers. Is M/N a prime number? [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2007, 17:58
3
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  55% (hard)

Question Stats:

41% (01:39) correct 59% (00:48) wrong based on 61 sessions
M and N are both nonzero integers. Is M/N a prime number?

(1) |M|=–M
(2) |N|=N

[Reveal] Spoiler:
I dont have the OA on this.Can someone please verify my approach .I am weak in modulus and have only recently started to look at this topic :

from 1 : since |M| has to be +ve ,and |M| = - M ,we know M is -ve. Insuff,no info on N

from 2 : |N| = N => N can be =+ve or -ve.Insuff .No info on M


1 and 2 together : M/N can be +ve or -ve (assuming prime no.s are positive) therefore E.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Bunuel on 24 Jul 2014, 03:32, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the question and added the OA.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 12 Jul 2007
Posts: 867
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 199 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: M and N are both nonzero integers. Is M/N a prime number? [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2007, 18:15
1. Tells you that M is a negative integer.
2. Tells you that N is a positive integer. (try plugging in a negative number, it doesn't work. N must be positive)

Now it gets interesting.

Taken together these statements tell us that M/N is a negative number. Since we have no info about what the integers actually are, we can't do much.

UNLESS... let's say M/N = -7

Can you say that -7 is NOT prime because you can use (-7, 1) AND (7, -1) to get there? I don't know all the rules dealing with negative primes, but since we have no specifics this is the only thing I can come up with.

The answer is either E since we have no specifics or C because all negative numbers have at least 4 divisors. so you cannot have a negative prime.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 06 Aug 2007
Posts: 46
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: M and N are both nonzero integers. Is M/N a prime number? [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2007, 19:09
eschn3am wrote:
1. Tells you that M is a negative integer.
2. Tells you that N is a positive integer. (try plugging in a negative number, it doesn't work. N must be positive)

Now it gets interesting.

Taken together these statements tell us that M/N is a negative number. Since we have no info about what the integers actually are, we can't do much.

UNLESS... let's say M/N = -7

Can you say that -7 is NOT prime because you can use (-7, 1) AND (7, -1) to get there? I don't know all the rules dealing with negative primes, but since we have no specifics this is the only thing I can come up with.

The answer is either E since we have no specifics or C because all negative numbers have at least 4 divisors. so you cannot have a negative prime.

this is an interesting question. Although there is no unity of opinion on whether negative numbers can be prime, I think the answer is still E. But it would be interesting to know what GMAT test makers actually think about this. Any thoughts?
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 10 Jun 2007
Posts: 1467
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: M and N are both nonzero integers. Is M/N a prime number? [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2007, 19:24
Kiski wrote:
M and N are both nonzero integers. Is M/N a prime number?

(1) |M|=–M
(2) |N|=N


I dont have the OA on this.Can someone please verify my approach .I am weak in modulus and have only recently started to look at this topic :

from 1 : since |M| has to be +ve ,and |M| = - M ,we know M is -ve. Insuff,no info on N

from 2 : |N| = N => N can be =+ve or -ve.Insuff .No info on M


1 and 2 together : M/N can be +ve or -ve (assuming prime no.s are positive) therefore E.


First, I am quite sure that negative number can't be prime.
For this question, I get E.
For M/N to be a prime, M must equal a prime and N equals 1

(1) |M| = -M
if M>0, M = -M
If M<0, -M = -M => M=M
So M can be either negative or positive, but we still don't know N.
INSUFFICIENT

(2) |N|=N
if N>0, N=N
if N<0, N=-N
Don't know M.
INSUFFICIENT

Together, I still can't draw any conclusion.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 12 Jul 2007
Posts: 867
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 199 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: M and N are both nonzero integers. Is M/N a prime number? [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2007, 19:40
bkk145 wrote:
Kiski wrote:
M and N are both nonzero integers. Is M/N a prime number?

(1) |M|=–M
(2) |N|=N


I dont have the OA on this.Can someone please verify my approach .I am weak in modulus and have only recently started to look at this topic :

from 1 : since |M| has to be +ve ,and |M| = - M ,we know M is -ve. Insuff,no info on N

from 2 : |N| = N => N can be =+ve or -ve.Insuff .No info on M


1 and 2 together : M/N can be +ve or -ve (assuming prime no.s are positive) therefore E.


First, I am quite sure that negative number can't be prime.
For this question, I get E.
For M/N to be a prime, M must equal a prime and N equals 1

(1) |M| = -M
if M>0, M = -M
If M<0> M=M
So M can be either negative or positive, but we still don't know N.
INSUFFICIENT

(2) |N|=N
if N>0, N=N
if N<0, N=-N
Don't know M.
INSUFFICIENT

Together, I still can't draw any conclusion.


1. M must be negative. Since |M| must be a positive then - M must be positive as well. The only way for - M to be positive is if M is negative itself.

2. If a negative number cannot be prime than the answer would be C. M/N is 100% for certain a negative number in this problem. If negatives cannot be primes and it's asking if M/N is prime we can answer this 100% no. So if the GMAT takes the stance that there cannot be negative primes the answer would be C.

3. "for M/N to be a prime, M must equal a prime and N must equal 1" this isn't true at all. 14/2 = 7 which is a prime. 33/3 = 11 which is a prime. There are tons of ways to divide two numbers and come up with a prime. The only way you can get a prime number through multiplication is if one number is prime and the other is one (this is the very definition of a prime number).
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 10 Jun 2007
Posts: 1467
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: M and N are both nonzero integers. Is M/N a prime number? [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2007, 20:25
eschn3am wrote:
yeah, sometimes you have to take a day off and let your brain cool down. the GMAT is starting to show up in my dreams after a month of light study.

I'm still curious as to what the GMAT people say about negative primes. I hope someone chimes in with some insight.




Yea, I think I need to. When I do the math problems too fast or at work or both, I make really stupid mistakes. Then I look back and I am like, what? I did this? Happened to me twice today. :(

Regarding negative prime, my understanding is that any negative number (except -1) has at least 3 factors. Say -3 = 1*3*-1, which violates the definition of prime number. For -1, we can have multiple factors:
-1 = -1*-1*-1*1 and so on; hence, not a prime either.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 03 May 2007
Posts: 899
Schools: University of Chicago, Wharton School
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: M and N are both nonzero integers. Is M/N a prime number? [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2007, 21:37
racha24 wrote:
eschn3am wrote:
1. Tells you that M is a negative integer.
2. Tells you that N is a positive integer. (try plugging in a negative number, it doesn't work. N must be positive)

Now it gets interesting.

Taken together these statements tell us that M/N is a negative number. Since we have no info about what the integers actually are, we can't do much.

UNLESS... let's say M/N = -7

Can you say that -7 is NOT prime because you can use (-7, 1) AND (7, -1) to get there? I don't know all the rules dealing with negative primes, but since we have no specifics this is the only thing I can come up with.

The answer is either E since we have no specifics or C because all negative numbers have at least 4 divisors. so you cannot have a negative prime.

this is an interesting question. Although there is no unity of opinion on whether negative numbers can be prime, I think the answer is still E. But it would be interesting to know what GMAT test makers actually think about this. Any thoughts?


but in gmat, -ve is not considered prime.
can any one confirm?
thanx.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jul 2004
Posts: 5097
Location: Singapore
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: M and N are both nonzero integers. Is M/N a prime number? [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2007, 21:40
St1:
Modula of any number is always positive, so M must be negative. We have no idea about N, so st1 is insufficient.

St2:
N must be a positive integer, but nothing M is known, so st2 is insufficient.

Using both,
M/N will always be negative, so M/N is not a prime number since the smallest prime number is a positive number. Sufficient.

Ans C
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Jul 2007
Posts: 2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: M and N are both nonzero integers. Is M/N a prime number? [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2007, 21:52
If |M| = -M doesn't it mean that we still are not sure whether -M is negative or positive?
if M=-2 then -M=2
if M=2 then -M=-2

Correct me if I'm wrong
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Jun 2007
Posts: 350
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: M and N are both nonzero integers. Is M/N a prime number? [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2007, 23:23
I had never heard about negative primes. And in fact they do not exist by definition:
A prime number (or prime integer, often simply called a "prime" for short) is a positive integer p>1 that has no positive integer divisors other than 1 and p itself.

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/PrimeNumber.html
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 12 Jul 2007
Posts: 867
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 199 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: M and N are both nonzero integers. Is M/N a prime number? [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2007, 07:53
ragz wrote:
If |M| = -M doesn't it mean that we still are not sure whether -M is negative or positive?
if M=-2 then -M=2
if M=2 then -M=-2

Correct me if I'm wrong


|M| by definition must be a positive number since all absolute values are positive. So the left side of the equation is positive here. That means the right side of the equation must be positive as well. Plug in numbers into -M and see what you get. -(10) = -10 but -(-10) = 10

Example 1: (negative number)

|-10| = - (-10)
10 = 10
CORRECT

Example 2: (positive number)

|10| = -(10)
10 = -10
INCORRECT

M has no choice but to be negative here.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2004
Posts: 3404
Location: New York City
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 160 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: M and N are both nonzero integers. Is M/N a prime number? [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2007, 17:38
I am with C on this...

there is no such thing as a negative prime number...
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Aug 2012
Posts: 4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

CAT Tests
Re: M and N are both nonzero integers. Is M/N a prime number? [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2014, 01:52
yes negative numbers cant be prime numbers, Manhatten GMAT books confirm that
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 03 Jul 2013
Posts: 28
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: M and N are both nonzero integers. Is M/N a prime number? [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2014, 02:12
I will go with C .


1) it just tells us "M " is a negative or 0 . because |M| is a positive so -M must be positive . in order to do so , M must be negative .

here we are told that M is not zero so M is negative .

we do not know anything about N so it is not sufficient




2) it tells us N is postive . but no info about M . hence not sufficient




1 + 2 together


M/N is a negative number . A negative number can not be a prime so M/N is not a prime . hence sufficient .



correct answer = C

Posted from my mobile device Image
Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 23504
Followers: 3511

Kudos [?]: 26639 [0], given: 2714

Re: M and N are both nonzero integers. Is M/N a prime number? [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2014, 03:35
Expert's post
Kiski wrote:
M and N are both nonzero integers. Is M/N a prime number?

(1) |M|=–M
(2) |N|=N

[Reveal] Spoiler:
I dont have the OA on this.Can someone please verify my approach .I am weak in modulus and have only recently started to look at this topic :

from 1 : since |M| has to be +ve ,and |M| = - M ,we know M is -ve. Insuff,no info on N

from 2 : |N| = N => N can be =+ve or -ve.Insuff .No info on M


1 and 2 together : M/N can be +ve or -ve (assuming prime no.s are positive) therefore E.


Just to close discussion about negative primes. There is NO such thing. Primes are positive integers by definition.

Check more tips on Number Properties here: tips-and-hints-for-specific-quant-topics-with-examples-172096.html#p1371030
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: M and N are both nonzero integers. Is M/N a prime number?   [#permalink] 24 Jul 2014, 03:35
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
5 Experts publish their posts in the topic If m and n are nonzero integers, is m^n an integer? Bunuel 5 06 Feb 2014, 00:37
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic If m and n are nonzero integers, is m^n an integer? Baten80 5 21 Feb 2011, 10:26
If m, n, and m^n are nonzero integers, which of the banksy 2 18 Feb 2011, 10:33
4 If m and n are nonzero integers, is m/n an integer? divanshuj 6 02 May 2010, 11:32
1 m and n are positive integers. If m/n and m+n both are even, nirimblf 15 05 Jul 2008, 23:32
Display posts from previous: Sort by

M and N are both nonzero integers. Is M/N a prime number?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.