Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Sep 2014, 04:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

M.D. and bad at math trying to get into GSB??!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

M.D. and bad at math trying to get into GSB??! [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2014, 15:15
Hi guys,

I have a question to you pros out there how you consider my chances of getting into a top school like HBS or GSB or Insead. the problem is that I am not really good at math. I am stuying hard but surely won't come into the range of the "typical" range of the McK consultants I am reading here sine I am simply not the most analytical guy.

Profile:

30, male
Austria, Europe
Medical Doctor (UCLA, Mount Sinai, University of Vienna, gratudated in 2008)
1yr medical researcher, 1yr investment manager for startup incubator, 5 years of entrepreneur in tech industry
Founded 4 tech/med companies with cummulative employees of 40+, sold 2 of them
Raised total of 4mio€ in startup funding and some minor Angel investing
Writer for prestigous tech journal for 3 years

I believe that is really not the typical persona reading through this forum, but I'd be happy to hear your thoughts on this combination - especially considering the fact that i am bad at quant (verbal, reasoing, etc. is really easy for me without studying at all).

Thanks
Luke
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 9

Re: M.D. and bad at math trying to get into GSB??! [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2014, 17:52
This post received
KUDOS
Hey zinnaglism,

I think you have a very interesting story and the answer to your question lies with how well you can articulate your story and reason for pursuing an MBA. Your GMAT, work experience, and GPA will come into play - especially at top programs. Just because you're poor at quant does not necessarily mean you'll not get into a top program. Focus on the verbal side -- if you can score in the mid 40s on quant and also on the verbal then you have a great shot. Also, remember the quant on the gmat is stuff you can master over time. Use GMAT Club Tests and MGMAT tests to see hard quant questions and break them down.

Personally, I think your work experience is going to be a huge help for top programs, but only if you can articulate it (since you have strong verbal skills this shouldn't be a problem). Good luck!

Kudos if I've helped you!
Re: M.D. and bad at math trying to get into GSB??!   [#permalink] 17 Jun 2014, 17:52