Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:23 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619001 [84]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619001 [16]
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Healthcare, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31929 [3]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Re: M03-26 [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
atl12688 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

A store had 10 loaves of bread, out of which 7 were baguettes. If the store sold 6 loaves of bread, what is the probability that the store sold exactly 4 baguettes out of these 6 loaves? (Assume that every loaf has an equal chance of selling)

A. \(\frac{2}{5}\)
B. \(\frac{3}{5}\)
C. \(\frac{2}{3}\)
D. \(\frac{1}{2}\)
E. \(\frac{4}{7}\)

The store had 7 baguettes and 3 non-baguettes, total of 10 loaves.

6 loaves were sold, we want to calculate the probability that exactly 4 out of theses 6 loaves were baguettes, so probability that the store sold 4 baguettes and 2 non-baguettes,

\(P(b=4)=\frac{C^4_7*C^2_3}{C^6_{10}}=\frac{1}{2}\).

Where:

\(C^4_7\) - # of ways to choose 4 baguettes out of 7;

\(C^2_3\) - # of ways to choose 2 non-baguettes out of 3;

\(C^6_{10}\) - total # of ways to choose 6 loaves out of 10.

Answer: D

I obtained the same answer with a different numerator. I am curious if and why 6C4 is incorrect for numerator. If anyone has info, please kindly reply and thanks in advance!

Hi,
you have two points...
a) why numerator cannot be taken 6C4..
6C4 can be used in a very simple scenario where we have 6 baguettes and we have to take 4 out of them..
here it is not simple. we have to choose 4 baguettes out of 7baguettes and 2 non-baguettes out of 3 non-baguettes .
so we have to find in how many way can we choose 4 baguettes out of 7baguettes and 2 non-baguettes out of 3 non-baguettes= 7C4*3C2..
b) i do not think you can get the same correct answer by taking 6C4 in numerator..
Reason; without even calculating you can see that numerator has only prime numbers upto 5 , whereas denominator has a seven , which will not cancel out and you ans will x/7y...and not 1/2..
hope it helped
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 375 [23]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Bunuel wrote:
A store had 10 loaves of bread, out of which 7 were baguettes. If the store sold 6 loaves of bread, what is the probability that the store sold exactly 4 baguettes out of these 6 loaves? (Assume that every loaf has an equal chance of selling)

A. \(\frac{2}{5}\)
B. \(\frac{3}{5}\)
C. \(\frac{2}{3}\)
D. \(\frac{1}{2}\)
E. \(\frac{4}{7}\)

I have different approach - to use probability theory.
Let's get a product of all possible descreate probabilities.
What is probability to get 1 baguette? It's 7/10. If we get 1 baguette and want to get one more baguette, then probability to get two baguettes is product of 7/10 * 6/9.
Move on and on, eventually we will get the following:
\(7/10 * 6/9 * 5/8 * 4/7 * 3/6 * 2/5 = 1/30\)
It's a probability to get 4 baguettes and 2 loaves of other kind. But probability that we got works only if we get loaves in exactly following order: baguette + baguette + baguette + baguette + nonbaguette + nonbaguette
But there can be another order. In order to count a number of all possible orders we have to find \(6!/4!*2! = 15\)
So, we have to summ gotten probability 15 times. It means \(1/30 * 15 = 1/2\)
So the sought probability is \(1/2\)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 195 [0]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.8
WE:Operations (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
I think this is a high-quality question and I agree with explanation.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 613 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
GMAT 1: 630 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36 (Online)
Send PM
I think this is a high-quality question and I agree with explanation. I solve this problem in another way.

6C4 * 7/10 * 6/9 * 5/8 * 4/7 * 3/6 * 2/8 =1/2
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V37
GMAT 3: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 4: 770 Q48 V47
GPA: 3
Send PM
naumyuk wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

A. \(\frac{2}{5}\)
B. \(\frac{3}{5}\)
C. \(\frac{2}{3}\)
D. \(\frac{1}{2}\)
E. \(\frac{4}{7}\)

What is probability to get 1 baguette? It's 7/10. If we get 1 baguette and want to get one more baguette, then probability to get two baguettes is product of 7/10 * 6/9.
It's a probability to get 4 baguettes and 2 loaves of other kind. But probability that we got works only if we get loaves in exactly following order: baguette + baguette + baguette + baguette + nonbaguette + nonbaguette
But there can be another order. In order to count a number of all possible orders we have to find \(6!/4!*2! = 15\)

This is the approach I initially used before guessing around the 2 min mark. Can you explain why you are multiplying 6!/4! by 2!?
Tutor
Affiliations: GMAT Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 198
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GMAT 2: 770 Q51 V44
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V44
GMAT 4: 770 Q50 V45 (Online)
GMAT 5: 780 Q51 V48
Send PM
Expert Reply
adamfunk wrote:
naumyuk wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

A. \(\frac{2}{5}\)
B. \(\frac{3}{5}\)
C. \(\frac{2}{3}\)
D. \(\frac{1}{2}\)
E. \(\frac{4}{7}\)

This is the approach I initially used before guessing around the 2 min mark. Can you explain why you are multiplying 6!/4! by 2!?

Thanks naumyuk for a great alternative solution.

There needs to be parentheses around the (4!*2!), but in this fraction notation that we normally use, the parentheses are implied: \(\frac{6!}{4!2!}\) = \(\frac{6*5}{2}=15\)

This is the standard "6 pick 4" (equivalent to "6 pick 2") combinations formula, which Bunuel generally notates in this form: \(C^4_{6}\), where \(C^r_{n}=\frac{n!}{r!(n-r)!}\)

Conceptually, suppose we are picking 2 out of 6: \(C^2_{6}\). There are 6 options for the first slot, and then only 5 options for the 2nd slot. However, since the order doesn't matter, we must divide by 2! ---> picking A then B is the same as picking B then A, so we've double counted the number of combinations. So, instead of the full formula, potentially a quicker way to do these is to just write \(\frac{6*5}{2}\). As another example, \(C^3_{7}\) becomes \(\frac{7*6*5}{3!}\)

adamfunk, any further questions on this?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 829
Send PM
I think this is a high-quality question and I agree with explanation. Great problem.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 201
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 590 Q42 V29
GMAT 2: 650 Q47 V33
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

A. \(\frac{2}{5}\)
B. \(\frac{3}{5}\)
C. \(\frac{2}{3}\)
D. \(\frac{1}{2}\)
E. \(\frac{4}{7}\)

6 loaves were sold, we want to calculate the probability that exactly 4 out of theses 6 loaves were baguettes, so probability that the store sold 4 baguettes and 2 non-baguettes,

Where:

VeritasKarishma Bunuel chetan2u

I went through all the replies on this post and still did not find it convincing so I thought I'd reach out for an explanation

According to the link below and also from other posts that I scoured on the internet, whenever you have to choose from identical objects, there is only way of selecting them. In the link below you would see the same example of selecting of 2 identical balls from 5. There is only one way to do this (according to the article)

https://doubleroot.in/lessons/permutati ... l-objects/

So why shouldn't the same apply to this problem ? I am really confused.

Really appreciate the help on this !

Thanks
Siddharth
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64918 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
SiddharthR wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

A. \(\frac{2}{5}\)
B. \(\frac{3}{5}\)
C. \(\frac{2}{3}\)
D. \(\frac{1}{2}\)
E. \(\frac{4}{7}\)

Where:

I went through all the replies on this post and still did not find it convincing so I thought I'd reach out for an explanation

According to the link below and also from other posts that I scoured on the internet, whenever you have to choose from identical objects, there is only way of selecting them. In the link below you would see the same example of selecting of 2 identical balls from 5. There is only one way to do this (according to the article)

Thanks
Siddharth

SiddharthR - Here is the problem with Combinatorics - a principle applicable to a certain scenario may become non-applicable if you even slightly change the data.
What is applicable to probability in case of "n identical objects" and also in case of "n identical objects of one kind and n identical objects of another kind" may not be applicable to "n identical objects of one kind and m identical objects of another kind".

The link you posted talks about lot 1 and lot 2 both having 3 objects each. The probability of picking an object from either lot is the same.
What happens when lot 1 has 7 objects and lot 2 has 3 objects? Will the probability of picking an object from lot 1 be the same as the probability of picking an object from lot 2? No. Lot 2 has far fewer objects.

Similarly, think about it: If you have 7 Gs and 3 Rs, will the probability of picking 3 Gs and 3 Rs be the same as the probability of picking 4 Gs and 2 Rs? No. The probability of picking 4 Gs and 2 Rs will be higher because of more number of Gs available.

Hence, the best way to deal with these questions is to use combinations assuming the objects are distinct (as done by Bunuel ). Since we are talking about a probability, it will not matter whether the objects are identical or distinct.
Or you can use the concepts of probability directly as done by naumyuk above.
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31929 [0]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Expert Reply
SiddharthR wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

A. \(\frac{2}{5}\)
B. \(\frac{3}{5}\)
C. \(\frac{2}{3}\)
D. \(\frac{1}{2}\)
E. \(\frac{4}{7}\)

Where:

Thanks
Siddharth

SiddharthR

If I read this question, I cannot say for sure that they are identical as it is not clearly mentioned anywhere.

But say this question says they are basically two groups of identical things. 7 of identical As and 3 of identical Bs.
and I want exact 4 As, I could surely do it as following:-

Total possible combinations for these 6 are
AAABBB
AAAABB
AAAAAB
AAAAAA

We are looking for AAAABB

So P =1/4

But rest assured, GMAT will never put you in that tight spot or as we call a Dharam sankat.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
GMAT 1: 600 Q42 V30
GMAT 2: 720 Q48 V41
Send PM
naumyuk wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

A. \(\frac{2}{5}\)
B. \(\frac{3}{5}\)
C. \(\frac{2}{3}\)
D. \(\frac{1}{2}\)
E. \(\frac{4}{7}\)

I also tried solving this way but I couldn't move beyond 1/30 -- Could you please help me get a better sense of clarity on when the order matters and when it doesn't. Or an easy way of recognizing the difference between - simultaneous and non-simultaneous events. Does the order matter here because they are sold? I considered them 6 as a whole; even if I moved baguettes up and down in this calculation (7/10 * 6/9 * 5/8 * 4/7 * 3/6 * 2/5 = 1/30), they should get adjusted, say if I was considering non-baguettes first: (3/10 * 2/9 * 7/8 * 6/7 * 5/6 * 4/5 = 1/30). How do I look out for these (non)-adjustments?

Please help, Bunuel naumyuk VeritasKarishma. Thank you.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64918 [3]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Aeyvei wrote:
naumyuk wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

A. \(\frac{2}{5}\)
B. \(\frac{3}{5}\)
C. \(\frac{2}{3}\)
D. \(\frac{1}{2}\)
E. \(\frac{4}{7}\)

I also tried solving this way but I couldn't move beyond 1/30 -- Could you please help me get a better sense of clarity on when the order matters and when it doesn't. Or an easy way of recognizing the difference between - simultaneous and non-simultaneous events. Does the order matter here because they are sold? I considered them 6 as a whole; even if I moved baguettes up and down in this calculation (7/10 * 6/9 * 5/8 * 4/7 * 3/6 * 2/5 = 1/30), they should get adjusted, say if I was considering non-baguettes first: (3/10 * 2/9 * 7/8 * 6/7 * 5/6 * 4/5 = 1/30). How do I look out for these (non)-adjustments?

Please help, Bunuel naumyuk VeritasKarishma. Thank you.

7/10 * 6/9 * 5/8 * 4/7 * 3/6 * 2/5
What is 7/10? The probability of successfully picking a baguette out of the 10 loaves. This is your first pick.
Next, you pick another baguette with the probability 6/9. and so on...

So 1/30 is the probability of picking BBBBOO. This is not the probability of picking, say OOBBBB.

Look at a simpler case. Say you have 3 balls, Red, Blue and Yellow.

You can pick 2 balls in 3C2 = 3 ways (RB, BY, RY)
So Probability of picking Red & Blue is 1/3.

Probability of picking Red on your first pick is 1/3. Probability of then picking Blue is 1/2.
So RB probability is (1/3)*(1/2) = 1/6
BR probability is also 1/6.

Total probability of Red and Blue is 1/6 + 1/6 = 1/3
DI Forum Moderator
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 638 [0]
Given Kudos: 1003
GMAT Focus 1:
645 Q82 V81 DI82
GMAT 1: 430 Q31 V19
GMAT 2: 570 Q44 V25
GMAT 3: 660 Q48 V33
GPA: 3.26
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re M03-26 [#permalink]
I think this is a high-quality question and I agree with explanation.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619001 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
I have edited the question and the solution by adding more details to enhance its clarity. I hope it is now easier to understand.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92914 posts