Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 19:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

M03 Q27

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Apr 2010
Posts: 48
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 10

Re: M03 Q27 [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2012, 23:26
Bunuel wrote:
Wayxi wrote:
Can someone explain to me why we don't use WEIGHTED AVERAGE ? It makes sense since the shares have been priced at 7.20 for the first 9 months and 1.25 for the next 3. Shouldn't it be weighted more to the first 9 months for the annual price per share??


7.2 is not a price per share it's earnings of per share for the first 9 months of operation.

So, earnings for 9 months - 5*7.2=36;

During the final quarter, the number of publicly listed shares was increased to 10, so earnings for 4th quarter - 10*1.25=12.5;

Total earning for a year - 36+12.5=48.5;

The average annual earnings per share - \frac{48.5}{10}=4.85.

Hope it's clear.


Bunuel,
I understand that the total of shares of the whole year is 10m, because of the "increased to 10m" term.

However, I don't know why "increased to 10m in the 4th quarter" means that the # of shares in the 4th quarter totaled 10m. I interpreted that the # of shares was increased to 10m FROM 5m (the existing 5m shares of the first 9 months), therefore in the 4th quarter the # of shares traded was only 10 - 5 = 5m, not 10m. I think "increased TO x", means there exists a y < x such that the delta (x - y) is the amount noted as "increased to x".

Please help me clarify.

Thanks!
Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 26582
Followers: 3487

Kudos [?]: 26167 [0], given: 2705

Re: M03 Q27 [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2012, 04:24
Expert's post
catennacio wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Wayxi wrote:
Can someone explain to me why we don't use WEIGHTED AVERAGE ? It makes sense since the shares have been priced at 7.20 for the first 9 months and 1.25 for the next 3. Shouldn't it be weighted more to the first 9 months for the annual price per share??


7.2 is not a price per share it's earnings of per share for the first 9 months of operation.

So, earnings for 9 months - 5*7.2=36;

During the final quarter, the number of publicly listed shares was increased to 10, so earnings for 4th quarter - 10*1.25=12.5;

Total earning for a year - 36+12.5=48.5;

The average annual earnings per share - \frac{48.5}{10}=4.85.

Hope it's clear.


Bunuel,
I understand that the total of shares of the whole year is 10m, because of the "increased to 10m" term.

However, I don't know why "increased to 10m in the 4th quarter" means that the # of shares in the 4th quarter totaled 10m. I interpreted that the # of shares was increased to 10m FROM 5m (the existing 5m shares of the first 9 months), therefore in the 4th quarter the # of shares traded was only 10 - 5 = 5m, not 10m. I think "increased TO x", means there exists a y < x such that the delta (x - y) is the amount noted as "increased to x".

Please help me clarify.

Thanks!


Not sure I understand your question.

Yes, the number of shares increased from 5,000,000 to 10,000,000 in 4th quarter. We are also told that in the 4th quarter earnings were at $1.25 per share, so in the 4th quarter total earning were 1.25*10,000,000.
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Apr 2010
Posts: 48
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 10

Re: M03 Q27 [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2012, 23:37
Bunuel wrote:
catennacio wrote:

Bunuel,
I understand that the total of shares of the whole year is 10m, because of the "increased to 10m" term.

However, I don't know why "increased to 10m in the 4th quarter" means that the # of shares in the 4th quarter totaled 10m. I interpreted that the # of shares was increased to 10m FROM 5m (the existing 5m shares of the first 9 months), therefore in the 4th quarter the # of shares traded was only 10 - 5 = 5m, not 10m. I think "increased TO x", means there exists a y < x such that the delta (x - y) is the amount noted as "increased to x".

Please help me clarify.

Thanks!


Not sure I understand your question.

Yes, the number of shares increased from 5,000,000 to 10,000,000 in 4th quarter. We are also told that in the 4th quarter earnings were at $1.25 per share, so in the 4th quarter total earning were 1.25*10,000,000.


I meant "increased from 5 to 10 in Q4" means that there are only 5mil shares traded in Q4 (as the first 5mil are traded in first 3 Q already). So in Q4 it should be 5 * 1.25 = 7.25, not 10 * 1.25. It's just the wording issue: "target number X" (10mil) = something already there (5mil in first 3Qs) + the "increased to" part (5mil in Q4). So in this case the "increased to" part is 5mil only.
Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 26582
Followers: 3487

Kudos [?]: 26167 [0], given: 2705

Re: M03 Q27 [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2012, 02:04
Expert's post
catennacio wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
catennacio wrote:

Bunuel,
I understand that the total of shares of the whole year is 10m, because of the "increased to 10m" term.

However, I don't know why "increased to 10m in the 4th quarter" means that the # of shares in the 4th quarter totaled 10m. I interpreted that the # of shares was increased to 10m FROM 5m (the existing 5m shares of the first 9 months), therefore in the 4th quarter the # of shares traded was only 10 - 5 = 5m, not 10m. I think "increased TO x", means there exists a y < x such that the delta (x - y) is the amount noted as "increased to x".

Please help me clarify.

Thanks!


Not sure I understand your question.

Yes, the number of shares increased from 5,000,000 to 10,000,000 in 4th quarter. We are also told that in the 4th quarter earnings were at $1.25 per share, so in the 4th quarter total earning were 1.25*10,000,000.


I meant "increased from 5 to 10 in Q4" means that there are only 5mil shares traded in Q4 (as the first 5mil are traded in first 3 Q already). So in Q4 it should be 5 * 1.25 = 7.25, not 10 * 1.25. It's just the wording issue: "target number X" (10mil) = something already there (5mil in first 3Qs) + the "increased to" part (5mil in Q4). So in this case the "increased to" part is 5mil only.


5,000,000 shares were not sold (traded), they earned some amount for the first 9 months as a dividend, the same with 10,000,000 shares.
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Apr 2010
Posts: 48
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 10

Re: M03 Q27 [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2012, 02:12
OK, so can "the number of publicly listed shares was increased to 10,000,000 shares" be understood as there were 5mil listed already. And then that number (5mil) was increased to 10 mil. Therefore there were 5mil additional shares. Sorry but I'm a bit confused with the wording...
Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 26582
Followers: 3487

Kudos [?]: 26167 [0], given: 2705

Re: M03 Q27 [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2012, 02:21
Expert's post
catennacio wrote:
OK, so can "the number of publicly listed shares was increased to 10,000,000 shares" be understood as there were 5mil listed already. And then that number (5mil) was increased to 10 mil. Therefore there were 5mil additional shares. Sorry but I'm a bit confused with the wording...


Again, we had 5,000,000 shares and each earned $7.20 per share for the first 9 months. Then we bought additional 5,000,000 shares, so we had 10,000,000 shares and each earned 1.25 per share in the 4th quarter.
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Apr 2010
Posts: 48
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 10

Re: M03 Q27 [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2012, 02:25
Understand now, thanks. I wish the question were as clear as your explanation :)
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 30 Aug 2012
Posts: 8
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 12

Re: M03 Q27 [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2012, 10:32
as per the question "the 9 months earning is 7.2 per share had it been 7.2/share/month then you were justified in multiplying it by 9 and same principle for the last quarter. the question states:
A corporation with 5,000,000 shares of publicly listed stock reported total earnings of $7.20 per share for the first 9 months of operation.
so the 9 months earning is 5*7.2 you do not need to multiply this by 9 again and likewise for the next 3 months
I hope this helps
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Jul 2013
Posts: 5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 255

Re: M03 Q27 [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2013, 06:28
Bunuel wrote:
saskman wrote:
Total earnings for the first three quarters (E1) = 5*10^6*7.2*9/12
Total earnings for the last quarter (E2) = 10*10^6*1.25*3/12
Total earnings = E1+E2
Total earnings per share = (E1+E2)/10*10^6 = 3.0125

Can someone please point out the mistake in my solution?


Check the solution below:

A corporation with 5,000,000 shares of publicly traded stock reported total earnings of $7.20 per share for the first 9 months of operation. If during the final quarter, the number of publicly listed shares was increased to 10,000,000, and fourth quarter earnings were reported at $1.25 per share, what are the average annual earnings per share based on the number of shares at the end of the year?
A. 1.75
B. 2.40
C. 3.15
D. 3.60
E. 4.85

Earnings for 9 months - 5*7.2=36;
Earnings for 4th quarter - 10*1.25=12.5;

Total earning for a year - 36+12.5=48.5;

The average annual earnings per share - \frac{48.5}{10}=4.85.

Answer: E.

Hope it helps.


Where does 10 come from?
Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 26582
Followers: 3487

Kudos [?]: 26167 [0], given: 2705

Re: M03 Q27 [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2013, 06:38
Expert's post
gilda wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
saskman wrote:
Total earnings for the first three quarters (E1) = 5*10^6*7.2*9/12
Total earnings for the last quarter (E2) = 10*10^6*1.25*3/12
Total earnings = E1+E2
Total earnings per share = (E1+E2)/10*10^6 = 3.0125

Can someone please point out the mistake in my solution?


Check the solution below:

A corporation with 5,000,000 shares of publicly traded stock reported total earnings of $7.20 per share for the first 9 months of operation. If during the final quarter, the number of publicly listed shares was increased to 10,000,000, and fourth quarter earnings were reported at $1.25 per share, what are the average annual earnings per share based on the number of shares at the end of the year?
A. 1.75
B. 2.40
C. 3.15
D. 3.60
E. 4.85

Earnings for 9 months - 5*7.2=36;
Earnings for 4th quarter - 10*1.25=12.5;

Total earning for a year - 36+12.5=48.5;

The average annual earnings per share - \frac{48.5}{10}=4.85.

Answer: E.

Hope it helps.


Where does 10 come from?


10 is the number of shares after the increase: "the number of publicly listed shares was increased to 10,000,000".

For more check here:
m03-q27-74196-20.html#p1144368
m03-q27-74196-20.html#p1145248
m03-q27-74196-20.html#p1145253
m03-q27-74196.html#p830981
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Oct 2013
Posts: 1
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Nonprofit
GPA: 3.05
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: M03 Q27 [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2013, 03:43
During final quarter number of shares were 10 million and EPS for final quarer was $1.25. it would have been $2.50 had the number of shares been 5 million and so EPS for whole year would be $9.70 ($7.20+$2.50). but number of shares doubled at the end of the year and hence EPS for whole year would be halved and thus is the answer E i.e. $4.85.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Apr 2013
Posts: 1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: M03 Q27 [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2013, 04:57
The avg would be calculated by=

5*7.2 + 10*1.25 / 10 = 4.85

As, at the end of the year, total shares was 10 million.

Hence, E is the right choice.
Re: M03 Q27   [#permalink] 11 Dec 2013, 04:57
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
34 Experts publish their posts in the topic M03 #23 redbeanaddict 18 04 Oct 2008, 02:55
1 M03 #6 dczuchta 9 20 Sep 2008, 16:08
21 M03 #01 dczuchta 43 19 Sep 2008, 16:06
3 Experts publish their posts in the topic M03 #19 jjhko 18 15 Sep 2008, 11:36
1 m03 - #7 Liquid 13 28 Feb 2008, 21:12
Display posts from previous: Sort by

M03 Q27

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 32 posts ] 

Moderators: Bunuel, WoundedTiger



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.