Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:20 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 960 [68]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618924 [26]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1173 [3]
Given Kudos: 43
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [2]
Given Kudos: 43
Schools: Cambridge'16
Re: Kate and David each have $10. Together they flip a coin 5 [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Two options for Kate to get >10 and <15 dollars

Lose (times): 1, 2

Win (times): 4, 3

First option: 1/2 (win)*1/2 (lose)*1/2 (lose)*1/2 (lose)*1/2 (lose)=1/32.

we have 5!/4!*1!=5 such cases. So, (1/32)*5=5/32

Second option : 1/2 (lose)*1/2 (lose)*1/2 (win)*1/2 (win)*1/2 (win)=1/32.

we have 5!/3!*2!=10 such cases. So, (1/32)*10=10/32

5/32+10/32=15/32

B
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi All,

This is a layered probability question that requires some additional math (the combination formula, or the equivalent "mapping" of all possibilities).

We're told that the coin will be flipped 5 times; with every "win", Kate gets $1 and with every "loss", Kate loses $1. Kate starts with $10. We're asked for the probability that Kate ends up with MORE than $10 but less than $15 after 5 tosses.

Let's start with the total number of possible outcomes. Since each coin has 2 options (heads or tails), there are 2^5 = 32 possible outcomes for the 5 flips (which will include a certain number of similar outcomes in different orders - for example HHTTT and THTHT).

To end up with MORE than $10, Kate has to win MORE tosses than she loses. However, if she were to win all 5 tosses, she'd have $15 and we want her to end up with LESS than $15. This means that Kate has to win EITHER 3 times or 4 times.

Since it does not matter which of the 5 tosses is won, as long as it's either 3 or 4 of them, we can use the combination formula:

Combinations = N!/[K!(N-K)!]

For 3 wins, we have 5!/3!2! = 10 possible combinations of 3 wins

For 4 wins, we have 5!/4!1! = 5 possible combinations of 4 wins

So, there are a total of 10+5 = 15 combinations of 5 tosses that "fit" what we're looking for and 32 possible outcomes total.

Final Answer:

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [0]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi All,

This is a layered probability question that requires some additional math (the combination formula, or the equivalent "mapping" of all possibilities).

We're told that the coin will be flipped 5 times; with every "win", Kate gets $1 and with every "loss", Kate loses $1. Kate starts with $10. We're asked for the probability that Kate ends up with MORE than $10 but less than $15 after 5 tosses.

Let's start with the total number of possible outcomes. Since each coin has 2 options (heads or tails), there are 2^5 = 32 possible outcomes for the 5 flips (which will include a certain number of similar outcomes in different orders - for example HHTTT and THTHT).

To end up with MORE than $10, Kate has to win MORE tosses than she loses. However, if she were to win all 5 tosses, she'd have $15 and we want her to end up with LESS than $15. This means that Kate has to win EITHER 3 times or 4 times.

Since it does not matter which of the 5 tosses is won, as long as it's either 3 or 4 of them, we can use the combination formula:

Combinations = N!/[K!(N-K)!]

For 3 wins, we have 5!/3!2! = 10 possible combinations of 3 wins

For 4 wins, we have 5!/4!1! = 5 possible combinations of 4 wins

So, there are a total of 10+5 = 15 combinations of 5 tosses that "fit" what we're looking for and 32 possible outcomes total.

Final Answer:

Rich

Hi Rich,

I'm confused about something.

there are 2^5 = 32 possible......this means the order is important (matter) so we deal with permutation in nature.

But you used combinations for 5C3 & 5C4.

How we can divide combinations over permutation? as As far as I know, we must either deal with all combinations (in numerator and denominator) or all permutations (in numerator and denominator).

My questions to you stems from a reply to me from another tutor/expert in another question as below:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/joe-is-among ... 95834.html

I hope I clarified my point and where the confusion happened.

Thanks
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Mo2men,

With 32 total outcomes, we need an efficient way to 'count up' all of the options that fit what we're looking for (re: 3 wins or 4 wins). I used the Combination Formula to quickly get those totals (instead of trying to 'map out' every individual win).

From your question, I think you're focusing too much on the individual formulas instead of what the formulas represent in the context of this question. Since this is a PROBABILITY question, we need the total number of ways that are POSSIBLE and the total number of ways that we WANT to occur. I used a Permutation to find the total possibilities and the Combination Formula (twice) to find the number of ways that match what we want to occur.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Mo2men,

With 32 total outcomes, we need an efficient way to 'count up' all of the options that fit what we're looking for (re: 3 wins or 4 wins). I used the Combination Formula to quickly get those totals (instead of trying to 'map out' every individual win).

From your question, I think you're focusing too much on the individual formulas instead of what the formulas represent in the context of this question. Since this is a PROBABILITY question, we need the total number of ways that are POSSIBLE and the total number of ways that we WANT to occur. I used a Permutation to find the total possibilities and the Combination Formula (twice) to find the number of ways that match what we want to occur.

Rich

I got favourable number of outcomes that is 15 but why aren't we doing 10C5, for total number of outcomes. I applied 5C3 +5C4/ 10C5. Can you please explain?

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi kinshuk97gupta,

It might help to think in terms of some simpler examples:

If we flip a coin 1 time, then there are two possible outcomes: H or T --> that's 2^1
If we flip a coin 2 times, then there are four possible outcomes: HH, HT, TH or TT --> that's 2^2

If we flip a coin 3 times, then there are eight possible outcomes:
HHH
HHT
HTH
THH
TTT
TTH
THT
HTT --> that's 2^3

Based on this pattern, you can probably determine that since we're flipping a coin 5 times, then that's 2^5 = 32 possible outcomes. Since this is a probability question, 32 has to be in the denominator.

Rich
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 143 [0]
Given Kudos: 467
Send PM
Bunuel, can you pls explain me why are we using combination here, the order in which the tail or head falls matters right, say for example.,
THHHH
HTHHH
HHTHH
HHHTH
HHHHT
the oder matters here right, so we should use permutation right, pls anyone explain me where im going wrong...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
monikakumar wrote:
Bunuel, can you pls explain me why are we using combination here, the order in which the tail or head falls matters right, say for example.,
THHHH
HTHHH
HHTHH
HHHTH
HHHHT
the oder matters here right, so we should use permutation right, pls anyone explain me where im going wrong...

Hi monikakumar,

Most GMAT questions can be approached in more than one way - and you'll find that many questions that can be treated as Combination or Permutation questions can also be solved with the other approach.

In this question, since there are 32 ways to flip the 5 coins - and we're looking for all of the possible outcomes that involve 3 OR 4 tails, mapping out all of the outcomes that fit that situation could take some time (there are actually 15 of them). The "order" of the tosses doesn't ultimately matter though - as long as we end up with either 3 or 4 tails - so doing two separate Combination Formula calculations would likely be faster.

Rich
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 3964 [1]
Given Kudos: 160
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Kudos
bibha wrote:
Kate and David each have $10. Together they flip a coin 5 times. Every time the coin lands on heads, Kate gives David $1. Every time the coin lands on tails, David gives Kate $1. After the coin is flipped 5 times, what is the probability that Kate has more than $10 but less than $15?

A. \(\frac{5}{16}\)
B. \(\frac{15}{32}\)
C. \(\frac{1}{2}\)
D. \(\frac{21}{32}\)
E. \(\frac{11}{16}\)

Given:
1. Kate and David each have $10. Together they flip a coin 5 times.
2. Every time the coin lands on heads, Kate gives David $1. Every time the coin lands on tails, David gives Kate $1.

Asked: After the coin is flipped 5 times, what is the probability that Kate has more than $10 but less than $15?

Kate has more than $10 but less than $15 means Kate wins more than David
Number of times Kate wins = 3 or 4 = 5C3 + 5C4 = 10 + 5 = 15

Total number of ways = 2^5 = 32

The probability that Kate has more than $10 but less than $15 = 15/32

IMO B
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 143 [0]
Given Kudos: 467
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC, I could see the order matters in which head or tail falls..my doubt is if order matters, then we should use permutation right, why are we using combination...pls help me on this if im wrong
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi monikakumar,

In this prompt, after each coin toss, we either add $1 or subtract $1 from Kate's total. Since that's just basic arithmetic, the order of the individual results does NOT matter.

For example, the order TTTHH and HHTTT both end up with Kate gaining a total of $1. Again, the order of the individual tosses does NOT matter as long as the overall result fits what we're looking for (in this case, either 3 or 4 'tails.'), so this math can be handled using the Combination Formula (once for 5c3 and once for 5c4).

Rich
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 277
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35 (Online)
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Ans is B 15/32

Explanation:

For 5 tosses, total outcomes are =2*2*2*2*2 = 32

Now for Kate to have dollars more than $10 and less than $15, we have two cases:

Case 1: T T T T H

# of cases = 5!/4! = 5

Case 2: T T T H H

# of cases = 5!/(3!*2!) = 10

So Probability = (10+5)/32 = 15/32
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: IESE INSEAD IE HEC
Send PM
This can happen only if there is 3T 2H or 4T 1H. Using binomial distribution, we can easily calculate 15/32
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92912 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts