Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:08 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: USC (Marshall) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.26
WE:Brand Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4702 [1]
Given Kudos: 376
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Concentration: Finance
Schools:SUNY at Stonyb Brook
 Q49  V27
WE 1: 4 yrs
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: USC (Marshall) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.26
WE:Brand Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: M07 Q24 [#permalink]
Pinali wrote:
I don't see any reason why it can't apply here . The only difference here is we know the value of time and unknown is speed. while in the example you said time is unknown factor and we know the speed . I hope this helps. :)
btw is the answer ~ 9064 km approximately?

No, the answer is 700*11.33 = 7931. I went with the assumption that the plane would have spent *more* time flying the slower speed, so the actual distance would be slightly more than 7931, but this was wrong. I've edited my post to show the answer choices.

The only reasoning I can see is that weighted rates skew speed, and not time spent (e.g., if time spent walking to work was 6 hours, and walking home 4 hours -- average is 5 hours), but this question still relies on speed to calculate the distance.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 333 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Accounting
Schools:UT at Austin, Indiana State University, UC at Berkeley
 Q47  V34 GMAT 2: 660  Q46  V35 GMAT 3: 700  Q49  V36
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: 5.5
WE 2: 5.5
WE 3: 6.0
Send PM
NewSc2 wrote:
Pinali wrote:
I don't see any reason why it can't apply here . The only difference here is we know the value of time and unknown is speed. while in the example you said time is unknown factor and we know the speed . I hope this helps. :)
btw is the answer ~ 9064 km approximately?

No, the answer is 700*11.33 = 7931. I went with the assumption that the plane would have spent *more* time flying the slower speed, so the actual distance would be slightly more than 7931, but this was wrong. I've edited my post to show the answer choices.

The only reasoning I can see is that weighted rates skew speed, and not time spent (e.g., if time spent walking to work was 6 hours, and walking home 4 hours -- average is 5 hours), but this question still relies on speed to calculate the distance.

Can any of experts comment on this problem. I have problem understanding the concept as well. This problem should be solved using the formula Average Distance= Speed * Time, since the time and speed are different for two trips (from A to b and from b to A because there was the speed of Earth which rotates one way), I am trying to use the formula Average Distance= (700+v)*Time, where v is the speed of the Earth's rotation as plane moves from A to B.
However, the OA solution to this problem is very straightforward, taking the average of time and multiplying it by 700.
Any help with this problem would be appreciated. Thank you.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Own Kudos [?]: 892 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
I got C.

2d / 700 =total time

Or this is the same as d = average speed * average time. = 700 * 11.33
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 333 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Accounting
Schools:UT at Austin, Indiana State University, UC at Berkeley
 Q47  V34 GMAT 2: 660  Q46  V35 GMAT 3: 700  Q49  V36
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: 5.5
WE 2: 5.5
WE 3: 6.0
Send PM
fluke, Thank you for nice explanation. When I meant v, i thought of the speed of Earth. After reading your post, i understood that 700, which is average speed of the plane on the ground already includes that (speed of the Earth). Now, I understand why we use the formula 2D/(t1+t2) to get the average speed.

Archived Topic
Hi there,
Archived GMAT Club Tests question - no more replies possible.
Where to now? Try our up-to-date Free Adaptive GMAT Club Tests for the latest questions.
Still interested? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for better discussion and related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92900 posts