Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Aug 2014, 18:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

M09 #23

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 26 Jun 2006
Posts: 124
Schools: Ross Class of 2012
WE 1: Consumer Goods / IT
WE 2: Retail / Logistics
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 36 [1] , given: 8

GMAT Tests User
M09 #23 [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2008, 09:17
1
This post received
KUDOS
Quote:
The price of a mobile phone of model A increased by 15% from last year while the price of a mobile phone of model B decreased by 25% from last year. Is the current price of a mobile phone of model A bigger than that of a mobile phone of model B?

1. Last year the price of a mobile phone of model B was 10 percent bigger than that of a mobile phone of model A
2. Last year model A cost $10 more than model B

(C) 2008 GMAT Club - m09#23

* Statement (1) ALONE is sufficient, but Statement (2) ALONE is not sufficient
* Statement (2) ALONE is sufficient, but Statement (1) ALONE is not sufficient
* BOTH statements TOGETHER are sufficient, but NEITHER statement ALONE is sufficient
* EACH statement ALONE is sufficient
* Statements (1) and (2) TOGETHER are NOT sufficient

S1 allows to express current prices of both models in terms of one variable and compare them. For example, if A is the last year's price of model A and B is the last year's price of model B, then:
\begin{eqnarray*} B_{current} &=& 0.75B = 1.1A*0.75\\ A_{current} &=& 1.15A\\ \end{eqnarray*}

Therefore, the current price of B is less than the current price of A. The question of course assumes that neither phone is given out for free.

S2 is obviously sufficient. If model A was more expensive than model B and model A gained in price while model B depreciated, then model A is still more expensive than model B.


Don't S1 and S2 run counter to each other?? How can the cost of A last year be $10 more than B (S2) but the price of model B last year be 10% more than A (S1)???
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 29 Aug 2007
Posts: 2501
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 484 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User
Re: M09 #23 [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2008, 14:11
sharmar wrote:
Quote:
The price of a mobile phone of model A increased by 15% from last year while the price of a mobile phone of model B decreased by 25% from last year. Is the current price of a mobile phone of model A bigger than that of a mobile phone of model B?

1. Last year the price of a mobile phone of model B was 10 percent bigger than that of a mobile phone of model A
2. Last year model A cost $10 more than model B

(C) 2008 GMAT Club - m09#23

* Statement (1) ALONE is sufficient, but Statement (2) ALONE is not sufficient
* Statement (2) ALONE is sufficient, but Statement (1) ALONE is not sufficient
* BOTH statements TOGETHER are sufficient, but NEITHER statement ALONE is sufficient
* EACH statement ALONE is sufficient
* Statements (1) and (2) TOGETHER are NOT sufficient

S1 allows to express current prices of both models in terms of one variable and compare them. For example, if A is the last year's price of model A and B is the last year's price of model B, then:
\begin{eqnarray*} B_{current} &=& 0.75B = 1.1A*0.75\\ A_{current} &=& 1.15A\\ \end{eqnarray*}

Therefore, the current price of B is less than the current price of A. The question of course assumes that neither phone is given out for free.

S2 is obviously sufficient. If model A was more expensive than model B and model A gained in price while model B depreciated, then model A is still more expensive than model B.


Don't S1 and S2 run counter to each other?? How can the cost of A last year be $10 more than B (S2) but the price of model B last year be 10% more than A (S1)???


Thats true. Statement 1 and 2 both cannot go togather.
_________________

Verbal: new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html


GT

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 04 Jan 2008
Posts: 919
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 152 [0], given: 17

GMAT Tests User
M09#23 [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2009, 21:48
If the price of a mobile phone of model A increased by 15% from last year and the price of a mobile phone of model B decreased by 25% from last year, is the current price of a mobile phone of model A greater than that of a mobile phone of model B ?

1. Last year, the price of a mobile phone of model B was 10 percent greater than that of a mobile phone of model A
2. Last year, model A cost $10 more than model B


is it A?

OE never talks about condition no (2)

and OA given is D
_________________

math-polygons-87336.html
competition-for-the-best-gmat-error-log-template-86232.html

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 01 Apr 2008
Posts: 909
Schools: IIM Lucknow (IPMX) - Class of 2014
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 193 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: M09#23 [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2009, 23:56
should be D.
1) difference is in terms of percentage so whatever is the absolute figure the relation will be the same for price of A and B >> Suff

2) difference is in terms of absolute value. But the lesser absolute value(B) is decreasing and the higher absolute value(A) is increasing. So A will always be greater than B. ( Note, if A is less than B and if A is increasing and B is decreasing then this condition will be insufficient, I have explained it below ).

Actual problem:

eg. price of A is 11 => after 15% increase it is something greater than 11.
price of B is 1 => after 25% decrease it is something less than 1.
A > B

eg. price of A is 110 => after 15% increase it is something greater than 110.
price of B is 100 => after 25% decrease it is something less than 75.
A > B.

Sufficient.
So, D.

Lets see the corollary, that is if it is given that B is 10 more than A.
eg. price of A is 1 => after 15% increase it is 1.15.
price of B is 11 => after 25% decrease it is 8.25
A < B.

eg. price of A is 100 => after 15% increase it is 115.
price of B is 110 => after 25% decrease it is 82.5.
A > B.
So, in this case this condition will be insufficient.

nitya34 wrote:
If the price of a mobile phone of model A increased by 15% from last year and the price of a mobile phone of model B decreased by 25% from last year, is the current price of a mobile phone of model A greater than that of a mobile phone of model B ?

1. Last year, the price of a mobile phone of model B was 10 percent greater than that of a mobile phone of model A
2. Last year, model A cost $10 more than model B


is it A?

OE never talks about condition no (2)

and OA given is D
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 09 Apr 2008
Posts: 53
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 4

Re: M09#23 [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2009, 00:11
But you're picking a case that works.

What if A = 1
and B = 11

Then new A = 1.15
new B = 8.25

The OA is wrong.

Economist wrote:
should be D.
1) difference is in terms of percentage so whatever is the absolute figure the relation will be the same for price of A and B >> Suff

2) difference is in terms of absolute value. But the lesser absolute value(B) is decreasing and the higher absolute value(A) is increasing. So A will always be greater than B. ( Note, if A is less than B and if A is increasing and B is decreasing then this condition will be insufficient, I have explained it below ).

Actual problem:

eg. price of A is 11 => after 15% increase it is something greater than 11.
price of B is 1 => after 25% decrease it is something less than 1.
A > B

eg. price of A is 110 => after 15% increase it is something greater than 110.
price of B is 100 => after 25% decrease it is something less than 75.
A > B.

Sufficient.
So, D.

Lets see the corollary, that is if it is given that B is 10 more than A.
eg. price of A is 1 => after 15% increase it is 1.15.
price of B is 11 => after 25% decrease it is 8.25
A < B.

eg. price of A is 100 => after 15% increase it is 115.
price of B is 110 => after 25% decrease it is 82.5.
A > B.
So, in this case this condition will be insufficient.

nitya34 wrote:
If the price of a mobile phone of model A increased by 15% from last year and the price of a mobile phone of model B decreased by 25% from last year, is the current price of a mobile phone of model A greater than that of a mobile phone of model B ?

1. Last year, the price of a mobile phone of model B was 10 percent greater than that of a mobile phone of model A
2. Last year, model A cost $10 more than model B


is it A?

OE never talks about condition no (2)

and OA given is D
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 13 Dec 2009
Posts: 79
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 20

Re: M09 #23 [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2010, 23:49
The statements must be changed! They are confusing and take precious time during the test! They cannot contradict each other!
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Jan 2010
Posts: 59
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: M09 #23 [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2010, 00:15
The price of a mobile phone of model A increased by 15% from last year while the price of a mobile phone of model B decreased by 25% from last year. Is the current price of a mobile phone of model A bigger than that of a mobile phone of model B?

1. Last year the price of a mobile phone of model B was 10 percent bigger than that of a mobile phone of model A
2. Last year model A cost $10 more than model B

(C) 2008 GMAT Club - m09#23

* Statement (1) ALONE is sufficient, but Statement (2) ALONE is not sufficient
* Statement (2) ALONE is sufficient, but Statement (1) ALONE is not sufficient
* BOTH statements TOGETHER are sufficient, but NEITHER statement ALONE is sufficient
* EACH statement ALONE is sufficient
* Statements (1) and (2) TOGETHER are NOT sufficient


Here's an explanation,

Let Price Cell Phone A last year be X , and that of Model B be Y
According to Information given in the question

Model A's current price = X + 15/100X , Model B's current price = Y - 25/100Y

Now lets work with the statements given.

1) Last year the price of a mobile phone of model B was 10 percent bigger than that of a mobile phone of model A

Y = 10/100X , so we have a relationship between Y and X , Substitute this value of Y in Model B's current price

Model B's current price = 10/100X - (25/100*10/100)X, which is clearly lesser than Model A's current price X + 15/100X - hence sufficient.

2)Last year model A cost $10 more than model B

X = Y + 10 or Y = X - 10 , again substitute this value in Model B's current Price and we can compare the two to tell if X's current price is greater or less than B's current price.

No point getting bogged down in calculations.

Hence answer - D, each statement alone is sufficient.
_________________

My GMAT story: 730 Debrief

Re: M09 #23   [#permalink] 10 Feb 2010, 00:15
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
m09 Q23 subhashghosh 3 17 Apr 2011, 03:55
M09 Q23 run4run 1 31 Mar 2010, 12:23
m09 #34 ritula 6 10 Nov 2008, 03:10
14 Experts publish their posts in the topic M09 #20 ritula 19 10 Nov 2008, 02:24
10 Experts publish their posts in the topic m09 q22 CrushTheGMAT 41 07 Sep 2008, 12:18
Display posts from previous: Sort by

M09 #23

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: Bunuel, WoundedTiger



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.