Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 09:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

m10 #36 isn't ambiguous?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 18 Aug 2009
Posts: 305
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
m10 #36 isn't ambiguous? [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2009, 00:52
What is the last digit of (9)^1 + (99)^2 + (999)^3 + ... + (10^n - 1)^n ?

1. n is even
2. n is prime

The question stem shows n>3 (because first 3 terms are explicitly stated). So I chose D, all prime > 2 will be odd making the output=9.

OA:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
A

OE: Statement (2) by itself is insufficient. (2 is prime and even, 3 is prime and odd).

Thoughts?
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 29 Aug 2007
Posts: 2501
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 483 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User
Re: m10 #36 isn't ambiguous? [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2009, 01:33
gmattokyo wrote:
What is the last digit of (9)^1 + (99)^2 + (999)^3 + ... + (10^n - 1)^n ?

1. n is even
2. n is prime

The question stem shows n>3 (because first 3 terms are explicitly stated). So I chose D, all prime > 2 will be odd making the output=9.

OA:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
A

OE: Statement (2) by itself is insufficient. (2 is prime and even, 3 is prime and odd).

Thoughts?



If the question stem doesnot say n>3 explicitly, you cannot assume that n>3 just because the first 3 terms are stated the way as above in the question. Then

1. n is even is suff as n is even only.
2. n is prime is not suff as n could be odd or even.

That only A is suff.
_________________

Verbal: new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html


GT

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 18 Aug 2009
Posts: 305
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: m10 #36 isn't ambiguous? [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2009, 05:18
GMAT TIGER wrote:
gmattokyo wrote:
What is the last digit of (9)^1 + (99)^2 + (999)^3 + ... + (10^n - 1)^n ?

1. n is even
2. n is prime

The question stem shows n>3 (because first 3 terms are explicitly stated). So I chose D, all prime > 2 will be odd making the output=9.

OA:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
A

OE: Statement (2) by itself is insufficient. (2 is prime and even, 3 is prime and odd).

Thoughts?



If the question stem doesnot say n>3 explicitly, you cannot assume that n>3 just because the first 3 terms are stated the way as above in the question. Then

1. n is even is suff as n is even only.
2. n is prime is not suff as n could be odd or even.

That only A is suff.


Thanks. Have to be careful about these interpretations.
Next test (m11 16), another question which had me baffled (similar interpretation thing):

Which of the following represents the range for all X which satisfy |1 - X| \lt 1 ?

* (-1, 1)
* (-1, 2)
* (0, 1)
* (0, 2)
* (1, 2)

I went the same way as the solution goes and reached 0<X<2. Now looking at the options, (0,2) looks as if including 0 and 2 which is not correct... but then there is no other option :?
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 29 Aug 2007
Posts: 2501
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 483 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User
Re: m10 #36 isn't ambiguous? [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2009, 10:33
gmattokyo wrote:
Next test (m11 16), another question which had me baffled (similar interpretation thing):

Which of the following represents the range for all X which satisfy |1 - X| \lt 1 ?

* (-1, 1)
* (-1, 2)
* (0, 1)
* (0, 2)
* (1, 2)

I went the same way as the solution goes and reached 0<X<2. Now looking at the options, (0,2) looks as if including 0 and 2 which is not correct... but then there is no other option :?


Thats the value: 0< X < 2.

You are correct. The answer choices look strange however none other than (0, 2) are near to the possible range. If range means excluding, (0, 2) is fine but does range defined that way? Probably not.
_________________

Verbal: new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html


GT

BSchool Thread Master
avatar
Joined: 19 Feb 2010
Posts: 401
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 116 [0], given: 76

GMAT Tests User
Re: m10 #36 isn't ambiguous? [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2011, 07:09
gmattokyo wrote:
What is the last digit of (9)^1 + (99)^2 + (999)^3 + ... + (10^n - 1)^n ?

1. n is even
2. n is prime

The question stem shows n>3 (because first 3 terms are explicitly stated). So I chose D, all prime > 2 will be odd making the output=9.

OA:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
A

OE: Statement (2) by itself is insufficient. (2 is prime and even, 3 is prime and odd).

Thoughts?


I also interpreted the question stem the same way and chose D.
Very surprised that GMATTIGER's position is the correct one.
Any expert would like to comment on this issue?
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 4573
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 1029

Kudos [?]: 4468 [2] , given: 162

Re: m10 #36 isn't ambiguous? [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2011, 09:27
2
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
cano wrote:
I also interpreted the question stem the same way and chose D.
Very surprised that GMATTIGER's position is the correct one.
Any expert would like to comment on this issue?


As per request, I am giving my position on this question:

Actually, no. There is no ambiguity here. The OE is correct.

9^1 + (99)^2 + (999)^3 + ... + (10^n - 1)^n only implies that n is 1 or any other positive integer.
It is implied that the first term of the series is 9^1. If there is a second term, it will be (99)^2 and so on...
Whenever we have such a series, we always try to put n = 1 to figure out the sum in the simplest case. Then we put n = 2 to figure out the sum in that case. This gives us some idea of where we are going.
It only shows you what the series looks like in the general case.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

BSchool Thread Master
avatar
Joined: 19 Feb 2010
Posts: 401
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 116 [0], given: 76

GMAT Tests User
Re: m10 #36 isn't ambiguous? [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2011, 09:38
Thanks Karishma for confirming this!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 May 2010
Posts: 46
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: m10 #36 isn't ambiguous? [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2011, 03:27
my pick is D.

S1: all 9 powers to even results 1 as the unit digit, and odd power with 9. So, unit digit of the sum is "0". Sufficient

S2: Only prime with even is 2. As the question already has powers more than 2, then "n" has to odd. So, the unit digit of sum has to be "9". Sufficient

But, both the answers contradict. Still i will go with D, before seeing others explanations.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 May 2010
Posts: 46
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: m10 #36 isn't ambiguous? [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2011, 03:32
Again got it wrong...:( Thanks karishma for the clarification.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Aug 2013
Posts: 11
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

Re: m10 #36 isn't ambiguous? [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2013, 22:09
In this question, why are we neglecting the possibility that n could be negative?
Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 18721
Followers: 3239

Kudos [?]: 22327 [0], given: 2614

Re: m10 #36 isn't ambiguous? [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2013, 02:49
Expert's post
resolehtmai1 wrote:
In this question, why are we neglecting the possibility that n could be negative?


From (9)^1 + (99)^2 + (999)^3 + ... + (10^n - 1)^n it follows that n is an integer more than or equal to 1.

Check here: m10-36-isn-t-ambiguous-86861.html#p981080
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: m10 #36 isn't ambiguous?   [#permalink] 06 Oct 2013, 02:49
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 Pronoun Ambiguity. gmatpunjabi 2 08 Feb 2012, 13:54
Ambiguous pronouns stringworm 1 24 Sep 2011, 09:45
Ambiguity heyholetsgo 3 18 Jun 2011, 00:41
M10 #36 PTK 1 19 Sep 2010, 08:44
ambiguous pronoun arjtryarjtry 3 31 Aug 2008, 18:23
Display posts from previous: Sort by

m10 #36 isn't ambiguous?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: Bunuel, WoundedTiger



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.