Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 07:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

m12, #28

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 09 Dec 2009
Posts: 122
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 19

m12, #28 [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2010, 17:38
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
If the average price of items is $125 and the average price of another items is $205, what is the average price of all items?

1. M+N=20
2. M=2N

[Reveal] Spoiler:
B


Not the most difficult question but, Im curious how they get B here.

I can plug in to the weighted avg formula and cancel out terms to get a # but wont the avg change with real values for M,N? Hence E?
_________________

G.T.L. - GMAT, Tanning, Laundry

Round 1: 05/12/10 handling-a-grenade-thesituation-s-official-debrief-94181.html

Round 2: 07/10/10 - This time it's personal.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 13 Dec 2009
Posts: 264
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 111 [0], given: 13

Reviews Badge
Re: m12, #28 [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2010, 03:17
TheSituation wrote:
If the average price of items is $125 and the average price of another items is $205, what is the average price of all items?

1. M+N=20
2. M=2N

[Reveal] Spoiler:
B


Not the most difficult question but, Im curious how they get B here.

I can plug in to the weighted avg formula and cancel out terms to get a # but wont the avg change with real values for M,N? Hence E?


stmt1: M+N = 20
not sufficient as we have to know avg of all the items we need to know the value (125M+205N)/(M+N)

stmt2: replace m by 2n in the above equation
(250 N+205N)/3N and u can find the value by canceling.
Avg would always be in terms of the above equation only cos even if the real values change, they will be in the proportion.
Like 20, 40 or 30, 60. so always the multiple N will be canceled out.


This is why B is the answer
_________________

My debrief: done-and-dusted-730-q49-v40

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 05 Mar 2010
Posts: 220
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 8

Re: m12, #28 [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2010, 03:35
sidhu4u wrote:
TheSituation wrote:
If the average price of items is $125 and the average price of another items is $205, what is the average price of all items?

1. M+N=20
2. M=2N

[Reveal] Spoiler:
B


Not the most difficult question but, Im curious how they get B here.

I can plug in to the weighted avg formula and cancel out terms to get a # but wont the avg change with real values for M,N? Hence E?


stmt1: M+N = 20
not sufficient as we have to know avg of all the items we need to know the value (125M+205N)/(M+N)

stmt2: replace m by 2n in the above equation
(250 N+205N)/3N and u can find the value by canceling.
Avg would always be in terms of the above equation only cos even if the real values change, they will be in the proportion.
Like 20, 40 or 30, 60. so always the multiple N will be canceled out.


This is why B is the answer






I did the same calculation

stmt1 is insufficient

stmt2 - my doubt here is "can N be a non real number?" as 455N/3N gives 151.6 (N and M should be real numbers)
Ex - Average of 10 numbers is 100 then the sum is 1000 (100*10) but how can one find average of 9.5 numbers

Can someone explain ?
_________________

Success is my Destiny

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 13 Dec 2009
Posts: 264
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 111 [0], given: 13

Reviews Badge
Re: m12, #28 [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2010, 04:02
The number of some entities or items, has to be whole number. It cannot be in decimal. ther ecan be 10 elements in a set not 9.5
_________________

My debrief: done-and-dusted-730-q49-v40

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 05 Mar 2010
Posts: 220
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 8

Re: m12, #28 [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2010, 22:55
sidhu4u wrote:
The number of some entities or items, has to be whole number. It cannot be in decimal. ther ecan be 10 elements in a set not 9.5



Thanks for your efforts sidhu
but if whatever you are saying is correct then explain what is the average price of M+N, i AM EXPECTING A EXACT NUMBER if you say B is the answer
_________________

Success is my Destiny

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 13 Nov 2011
Posts: 9
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: m12, #28 [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2012, 09:15
125n + 205m / m+n

"stmt2: replace m by 2n in the above equation
(250 N+205N)/3N and u can find the value by canceling."

if you replace 2n where there is an "m" in the numerator & denom, doesn't it come out to - 125n + 205(2n) / n + 2n ... ? I'm confused.
Re: m12, #28   [#permalink] 11 Mar 2012, 09:15
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic M12-28 Bunuel 1 15 Sep 2014, 23:47
5 Experts publish their posts in the topic M12 # 21 snowy2009 19 13 Nov 2008, 12:47
23 Experts publish their posts in the topic M12 Q17 durgesh79 29 09 Aug 2008, 06:21
19 Experts publish their posts in the topic M12-10 sondenso 21 14 May 2008, 02:17
1 |m+4|=2 m=? 1) m<0 2) m^2+8m+12=0 getzgetzu 12 05 May 2006, 23:25
Display posts from previous: Sort by

m12, #28

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: Bunuel, WoundedTiger



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.