Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 04:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

m13 q23

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Harvard
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

m13 q23 [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2008, 21:02
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Is A positive?

1. x^2 - 2x + A is positive for all x
2. Ax^2 + 1 is positive for all x

[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
A

Source: GMAT Club Tests - hardest GMAT questions

S1 is sufficient. x^2 - 2*x + A = (x - 1)^2 + (A - 1). For this expression to be always positive A - 1 has to be more than 0. A has to be more than 1. S2 is not sufficient. A*x^2 + 1 is positive for all x even if A is 0.
The correct answer is A.

I believe the solution is incorrect on this question:

S1 does not work. For example, use x=10. The equation yields 10^2-2*10+A>0, so 80+A>0. Than means that A>-80, and hence can be negative or positive. S1 says A>-x^2+2x, and if you graph the function the answer becomes obvious.

S2 does not work, and neither does S1+S2, so the answer should be E.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Chicago Booth, Wharton, MIT, Haas
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [3] , given: 0

Re: m13 q23 [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2008, 15:53
This post received
KUDOS
I think you've misunderstood S1. It says that x^2 - 2*x + A > 0 *for all x*

while x=10 gives you the constraint A>-80, it doesn't mean A can equal -79, because then the above statement would not be true for x=9 since 9^2 - 2*9 - 79 = -16.

Also, if you plot the graph, y = -x^2+2x, the maximum value is y=1 at x=1. So A has to be greater than 1 for S1 to hold true for all x.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

Re: m13 q23 for Mmond4 [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2008, 14:08
Hello mmond4-

I see you already answered a problem I had a question on and still have the same question. Any of the explanations don't make sense to me. If a statement is true for all x...then I assume what that means is that we can put Any value into x and the resulting equation will also end up positive. Also, what ever value you give for X will automatically change the value of A. I can understand if the question states that A's value doesn't change, but why would we just assume that?

Is the sentense implying that, as in most variable equations, A has one set value and what is that set value of A for all values of x? So, we could actually come up with a value for A, going beyond just confirming it's positive? Thanks-
CIO
CIO
Followers: 87

Kudos [?]: 668 [0], given: 334

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: m13 q23 for Mmond4 [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2008, 04:19
Hi,
The S1 is given to identify the minimum value of A which makes the x^2 - 2*x + A \gt 0 for all x. If it's given that x^2 - 2*x + A \gt 0 for all x, then we must be sure that A is such that the inequality holds true. mmond4 provided a good explanation how the range for A can be found. A must be greater than 1 for the inequality x^2 - 2*x + A \gt 0 to hold true. If we know that A \gt 1, we can answer the question (A is positive).

mmond4 +1.

Hope this helps.

dczuchta wrote:
Hello mmond4-

I see you already answered a problem I had a question on and still have the same question. Any of the explanations don't make sense to me. If a statement is true for all x...then I assume what that means is that we can put Any value into x and the resulting equation will also end up positive. Also, what ever value you give for X will automatically change the value of A. I can understand if the question states that A's value doesn't change, but why would we just assume that?

Is the sentense implying that, as in most variable equations, A has one set value and what is that set value of A for all values of x? So, we could actually come up with a value for A, going beyond just confirming it's positive? Thanks-

Welcome to GMAT Club! :)
Facebook TwitterGoogle+LinkedIn
Want to solve GMAT questions on the go? GMAT Club iPhone app will help.
Please read this before posting in GMAT Club Tests forum
Result correlation between real GMAT and GMAT Club Tests
Are GMAT Club Test sets ordered in any way?

Take 15 free tests with questions from GMAT Club, Knewton, Manhattan GMAT, and Veritas.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: m13 q23 [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2009, 10:35
i believe the solution set to this is wrong.

for S1 - x^2 - 2x + A >= 0 for all X.
Eg. if X = -1 your solution now becomes: (sub x = -1 into S1)
1 + 2 + A >=0 therefore A can be negative OR positive hence it should be INSUFFICIENT.

S2 - Ax^2 + 1 >=0
A can be 0 (non-negative or positive) or positive - hence insufficient.

Together they don't work either. so E.

What do you guys think??
CIO
CIO

Re: m13 q23 [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2009, 12:32
You're misunderstanding S1. It works the other way. The whole expression is positive for ALL x. If you substitute x=0, you'll end up with A > 0 (not A \ge 0 as 0 is neither positive nor negative). This is only possible if A is positive.
viperm5 wrote:
i believe the solution set to this is wrong.

for S1 - x^2 - 2x + A >= 0 for all X.
Eg. if X = -1 your solution now becomes: (sub x = -1 into S1)
1 + 2 + A >=0 therefore A can be negative OR positive hence it should be INSUFFICIENT.

S2 - Ax^2 + 1 >=0
A can be 0 (non-negative or positive) or positive - hence insufficient.

Together they don't work either. so E.

What do you guys think??

Take 15 free tests with questions from GMAT Club, Knewton, Manhattan GMAT, and Veritas.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 2

Re: m13 q23 for Mmond4 [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2009, 12:45
dzyubam wrote:
Hi,
The S1 is given to identify the minimum value of A which makes the x^2 - 2*x + A \gt 0 for all x. If it's given that x^2 - 2*x + A \gt 0 for all x, then we must be sure that A is such that the inequality holds true. mmond4 provided a good explanation how the range for A can be found. A must be greater than 1 for the inequality x^2 - 2*x + A \gt 0 to hold true. If we know that A \gt 1, we can answer the question (A is positive).

mmond4 +1.

Hope this helps.

dczuchta wrote:
Hello mmond4-

[color=#408040][/color]

what is x = 3. the equation will be 3^2-2*3+A > 0
so 9-6+A>0
=> 3+A>0
A>-3.
let us consider the value of A be -1, then the value of the expression will be 2 i.e. positive.
So, A can be negative..
we cannot conclude that A is positive by statement 1 alone..
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: m13 q23 for Mmond4 [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2009, 09:11
atomy wrote:
dzyubam wrote:
Hi,

mmond4 +1.

Hope this helps.

dczuchta wrote:
Hello mmond4-

[color=#408040][/color]

so 9-6+A>0
=> 3+A>0
A>-3.
let us consider the value of A be -1, then the value of the expression will be 2 i.e. positive.
So, A can be negative..

thats exactly it Atomy. A is not restricted to ALWAYS be > 0 because x can be ANY number.
So for instance you sub in 3, A can be negative OR positive and the equation will still hold true.
HENCE S1 is insufficient.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: m13 q23 [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2009, 21:41
agree with dzyubam

Got it wrong as well. Difficult and tricky question. And as the OE goes, the key is to get the equation in the form (if I go and meditate in the Tibet mountains for few years, then maybe I'll get it in test conditions :wink: ):
x^2 - 2*x + A = (x - 1)^2 + (A - 1)

First part of the expression is always positive, For the full expression to be positive, A has to be greater than 1.

In normal terms, I understood this as x^2 - 2x + A is positive where A is constant. So I need to focus on the case when x^2 - 2x is NEGATIVE, because then A will HAVE to be a positive and because A is a constant and x varies, A remains positive for other cases too... hence positive-A which is same as OA A
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 16

Re: m13 q23 for Mmond4 [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2010, 18:58
viperm5 wrote:
viperm5 wrote:
viperm5 wrote:
Hello mmond4-

[color=#408040][/color]

so 9-6+A>0
=> 3+A>0
A>-3.
So, A can be negative..

thats exactly it Atomy. A is not restricted to ALWAYS be > 0 because x can be ANY number.
So for instance you sub in 3, A can be negative OR positive and the equation will still hold true.
HENCE S1 is insufficient.

Yeah this is tricky and it got me.

However since the stimulus states that the expression is positive for all x, it means that it MUST hold for all values together. This is an AND condition rather than an OR.

If it didn't include the phrase "for all x" then you can say that for a certain x value, A can have a certain value, thus A can be negative here:

If x = 3 then A > -3 OR if x = 10 then A > -80 OR if x = 6 then A > -24, etc...
This is what a standard equation says...

But since it holds for ALL x, then we have the following condition:

If x = 3 then A > -3 AND if x = 10 then A > -80 AND if x = 6 then A > -24, etc...
so as the x values change the boundary condition for A keeps changing, i.e.

A > -80 AND A > -24 AND A > -3
etc...
and ends up holding true for all AND any value of x when A > 0.

Hope that clears things up..

If you like my post, a kudos is always appreciated ;)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: m13 q23 [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2010, 05:31
CrushTheGMAT wrote:
Is A positive?
A

1: suppose x = -1, to have x^2 - 2x + A positive, A will be +ve but when x = 3, then equation becomes 9-6+A so A can be -1, -2 and still the equation is +ve hence statement insufficient.
2: for all x other than 0 x^2 will be +ve so Ax^2 + 1 to be +ve A has to +ve
for x = 0 we are not sure on value of A, as anything multiplied by 0 is 0.

Combining, its sufficient as when x = 0 then from (1) we can say A is +ve and for x > 2 from (2) we can say A is +ve hence C.
OA should be wrong.
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3512

Kudos [?]: 26647 [2] , given: 2714

Re: m13 q23 [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2010, 05:34
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
CrushTheGMAT wrote:
Is A positive?

A

Source: GMAT Club Tests - hardest GMAT questions

S1 is sufficient. x^2 - 2*x + A = (x - 1)^2 + (A - 1). For this expression to be always positive A - 1 has to be more than 0. A has to be more than 1. S2 is not sufficient. A*x^2 + 1 is positive for all x even if A is 0.
The correct answer is A.

I believe the solution is incorrect on this question:

S1 does not work. For example, use x=10. The equation yields 10^2-2*10+A>0, so 80+A>0. Than means that A>-80, and hence can be negative or positive. S1 says A>-x^2+2x, and if you graph the function the answer becomes obvious.

S2 does not work, and neither does S1+S2, so the answer should be E.

Question: is A>0?

(1) x^2-2x+A is positive for all x:

f(x)=x^2-2x+A is a function of of upward parabola (as coefficient of x^2 is positive). We are told that it's positive for all x --> f(x)=x^2-2x+A>0, which means that this function is "above" X-axis OR in other words parabola has no intersections with X-axis OR equation x^2-2x+A=0 has no real roots.

Quadratic equation to has no real roots discriminant must be negative --> D=2^2-4A=4-4A<0 --> 1-A<0 --> A>1.

Sufficient.

(2) Ax^2+1 is positive for all x:

Ax^2+1>0 --> when A\geq0 this expression is positive for all x. So A can be zero too.

Not sufficient.

Answer: A.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 2

Re: m13 q23 [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2010, 05:42
Lets take statement 2 first

Ax^2 + 1 is positive for all +ve X.

x^2 will be positive irrespective the value of x.So Ax^2 will be + or - based on the value of A.So statement 2 is insuff.

Lets take statement 1 now
x^2 -2x + A is +ve for +ve x.

Resolving this Q.E we get x = 1+/- sqrt(1-A) .This will be positive only when A <1.Putting the value A =0,we will get x=0 but given x is positive.So A has be to -ve.So this statement is suff.

I will go with option A.
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: m13 q23 [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2010, 06:45
Is A positive?

S1.
Option 1: assume x = 10 and A = 1, then S1 = 100-20+1 = 81 which is +ve
Option 2: assume x = 10 and A = -1, then S1 = 100-20-1 = 79 which also holds true i.e. S1 is +ve
Insufficient

S2.
Option 1: assume x = 1 and A = 1, then S2 = 1+1 = 2 which is +ve
Option 2: assume x = 1 and A = -1/2, then S2 = -1/2+1 = 1/2 which also holds true i.e. S2 is +ve
Insufficient

S1 & S2 combined
Insufficient

E, my two cents worth.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: m13 q23 [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2010, 06:57
For S1, I prefer to use calculus:

y=x^2-2x+A
y'=2X-2

so the minimum is

0=2X-2
X=1

so

y(1)=1^2-2+A=-1+A

for S1 to be positive A should be greater than 1

For S2 I see that A could take negative values and still be positive:

y=Ax^2+1

Ax^2+1>0
Ax^2>-1
A>-1/x^2

So, statement 1 is sufficient alone

Regretfully, I'm still using a lot of time to solve the problem.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [1] , given: 8

Re: m13 q23 [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2010, 00:52
This post received
KUDOS
This is tricky question
It got me initially .......but after careful thinking
I decided to go with A

Stmt 1 - if we take x=0 then A >0 to satisfy the condition because it says the statement is equation is positive for all values of x. SUFFICIENT

stmt 2 - even if A=0 the statement is positive for all x because of +1 NOT SUFFICIENT

Success is my Destiny

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: m13 q23 [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2010, 16:57
Here is my preposition. Pardon me if it is over ambitious or too pedantic.
Why r we evaluating the sign of A for the min value of the expression x^2-2*x?
Should not we be looking at the max value of x^2-2*x to determine whether A is positive or negative?
Therefore,I think S1 is insuff.

Any comments or corrections will be much appreciated.
CIO
CIO

Re: m13 q23 [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2010, 00:54
Does this post answer your question:
m13-q23-70269.html#p518925
?
Scithian wrote:
Here is my preposition. Pardon me if it is over ambitious or too pedantic.
Why r we evaluating the sign of A for the min value of the expression x^2-2*x?
Should not we be looking at the max value of x^2-2*x to determine whether A is positive or negative?
Therefore,I think S1 is insuff.

Any comments or corrections will be much appreciated.

Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)
Followers: 155

Kudos [?]: 511 [0], given: 527

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: m13 q23 [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2010, 11:27
Bunuel's explanations are clear enough.
Thanks

Dzyubam, do you consider to replace "for all x" to "any X"...

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

CIO
CIO

Re: m13 q23 [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2010, 09:03
Sure I can change it, but I don't see a difference. Why is "any X" wording better? Sorry if I'm missing something obvious :).
Pkit wrote:
Bunuel's explanations are clear enough.
Thanks

Dzyubam, do you consider to replace "for all x" to "any X"...

Re: m13 q23   [#permalink] 17 Oct 2010, 09:03