Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Sep 2014, 04:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

M13 Q30

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Stanford, Marshall (interview), Rady, Anderson, Carroll (interview), Tepper
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

M13 Q30 [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2008, 18:02
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The question is
Is a*b*c divisible by 24?

1. a, b, and c are consecutive even integers
2. a*b is divisible by 12

[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
A

Source: GMAT Club Tests - hardest GMAT questions

Answer given is:
One of any three consecutive even integers is divisible by 3. Because this integer is even, it is also divisible by 6. When multiplied by two more even integers, it renders a product that is divisible by 24. S_1 is sufficient. S_2 is not sufficient. We need to know something about c.

The correct answer is A.

My question
What about 0? i.e. 0, 2, 4, shouldn't the answer be E?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3508

Kudos [?]: 26578 [2] , given: 2713

Re: M13 Q30 [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2010, 06:51
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Tadashi wrote:
The question is

A

Answer given is:
One of any three consecutive even integers is divisible by 3. Because this integer is even, it is also divisible by 6. When multiplied by two more even integers, it renders a product that is divisible by 24. S_1 is sufficient. S_2 is not sufficient. We need to know something about c.

The correct answer is A.

My question

Note that an integer a is a multiple of an integer b (integer a is a divisible by an integer b) means that \frac{a}{b}=integer: so, as 0 divided by any integer (except zero itself) yields an integer then yes, zero is a multiple of every integer (except zero itself).

Also on GMAT when we are told that a is divisible by b (or which is the same: "a is multiple of b", or "b is a factor of a"), we can say that:
1. a is an integer;
2. b is an integer;
3. \frac{a}{b}=integer.

BACK TO THE ORIGINAL QUESTION:

(1) a, b, and c are consecutive even integers --> a=2k-2, b=2k and c=2k+2 for some integer k --> abc=(2k-2)2k(2k+2)=8(k-1)k(k+1), now (k-1), k, (k+1) are 3 consecutive integers, which means that one of them must be a multiple of 3, thus abc is divisible by both 8 and 3, so by 24. Sufficient.

Or even without the formulas: th product of 3 consecutive even integers will have 2*2*2=8 as a factor, plus out of 3 consecutive even integers one must be a multiple of 3, thus abc is divisible by both 8 and 3, so by 24.

(2) a*b is divisible by 12, clearly insufficient as no info about c (if ab=12 and c=1 answer will be NO but if ab=24 and c=any integer then the answer will be YES).

Answer: A.

Hope it's clear.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 86

Kudos [?]: 481 [1] , given: 432

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: M13 Q30 [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2009, 08:11
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Another way of phrasing the question would be: is abc/24 an integer?

Recall that an integer is a whole number in the infinite set {. . . -3, -2, -1, 0, 1, 2, 3, . . .}.

Statement 2:
If abc is divisible by 12, then it could also be divisible by 24 if the the number equalled 24, 48, 240, etc. But if abc is 12, then the number is not divisible by 12. In short, we can't determine the answer. NOT SUFFICIENT.

Statement 1:
Let's start with the smallest absolute values allowed first: 0, 2, and 4. When multiplied, this equals zero - an integer. When zero is divided by any non-zero integer, the result is zero - again, an integer. So it's divisible by 24. If we use, negative numbers -2, -4, -6, we arrive at -48/24 = -2, an integer. If we break down 24 into primes, we have one 3 and three 2's. Pick any consecutive set of even integers. These prime numbers will be in there. In other words the number is divisible by 24. SUFFICIENT.

And the GMAT assumes that you know about the divisibility rules of 0, just as it assumes that you know about the rules for 3, 2, 10, 5, etc.

CIO
CIO
Followers: 87

Kudos [?]: 668 [0], given: 334

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: M13 Q30 [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2008, 23:29
Hi. You forget that 0 is divisible by every number except for itself. See this link for more info:

http://gmatclub.com/wiki/Math_definitions

Hope this helps.

Welcome to GMAT Club! :)
Facebook TwitterGoogle+LinkedIn
Want to solve GMAT questions on the go? GMAT Club iPhone app will help.
Please read this before posting in GMAT Club Tests forum
Result correlation between real GMAT and GMAT Club Tests
Are GMAT Club Test sets ordered in any way?

Take 15 free tests with questions from GMAT Club, Knewton, Manhattan GMAT, and Veritas.

Intern
Intern
Schools: Stanford, Marshall (interview), Rady, Anderson, Carroll (interview), Tepper

Re: M13 Q30 [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2008, 16:09
Thanks, I did not know that 0 is divisible by every number excluding 0. It would have helped to have that in the explanation.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

m13 q30 [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2009, 05:25
Hi all,

I've come across a question that I'm a bit confused by and would appreciate your help with.

Question:
Is a*b*c divisible by 24 ?

GMATClub Answer:
One of any three consecutive even integers is divisible by 3. Because this integer is even, it is also divisible by 6. When multiplied by two more even integers, it renders a product that is divisible by 24. S_1 is sufficient.

S_2 is not sufficient. We need to know something about c.

The correct answer is A.

-----

The GMATClub answer seems to be assuming that the consecutive integers are positive. Is this not an incorrect assumption? The question doesn't state the even integers are positive.

As an example: the values for a, b and c could be 2, 4 and 0, whose product is not divisible by 24. Or the values could be 2, 4 and 6, for which the product is divisible by 24. So S1 seems insufficient.

Could someone let me know if I've misunderstood this? Many thanks in advance,

R
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

Re: M13 Q 30 - Data Sufficiency & Number Properties [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2009, 07:33
I think 0 is divisible by any number... not sure though and -ve numbers I dont think make a difference here as only the sign will change but the number will remain divisible by 24.
Intern
Intern

Re: M13 Q30 [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2010, 06:35
A
24 prime factors set = 2*2*2*3
the product of three consecutive even integers do contain 2*2*2*3 hence answers is 1 is sufficient

if a*b is divisible 12? nothing mentioned about c. So not sufficient.
Answers is A.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 51

GMAT Tests User
Re: M13 Q30 [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2010, 04:56
+1 for A.

(a) 24 = 3 * 8 = 3 * 2 * 4 = 2 * 3 * 4

If you take any 3 consecutive 3 integers, they have 2, 3 and 4 as multiples!

(b) No information about c.

Cheers!
Ravi

If you like my post, consider giving me some KUDOS !!!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 58

Re: M13 Q30 [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2010, 14:40
Tadashi wrote:
The question is

A

Answer given is:

The correct answer is A.

My question

This is how I went about solving the problem...
Statement 1)
I factored 24 and got 2, 2, 2, 3
I used a MGMAT strategy that an even x even = divisible by 4
even x even x even = divisible by 8
Since there are three consecutive even numbers I knew it was even x even x even (at least divisible by 2,2,2) and since there are three terms it has to be divisible by 3

Statement 2) is insufficient because there is no mention of C. If a*b = 12 and c is 1 then the answer yields NO. However, if we make a*b = 24 and c = 1 we get an answer of YES. Thus, insufficient.

I'm trying to not just answer the problem but to explain how I came up with my answer. If I am incorrect or you have a better method please PM me your thoughts. Thanks!

Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.48
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: M13 Q30 [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2011, 03:52
The correct answer has to be C.

As per OG 12 - 0 is an even number.

Last edited by madzy on 26 Oct 2011, 04:17, edited 1 time in total.
CIO
CIO
Followers: 87

Kudos [?]: 668 [0], given: 334

Re: M13 Q30 [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2011, 04:04
Please see this post above:
m13-q30-69735.html#p841095

The answer is A.

madzy wrote:
The correct answer has to be E.

As per OG 12 - 0 is an even number.

Welcome to GMAT Club! :)
Facebook TwitterGoogle+LinkedIn
Want to solve GMAT questions on the go? GMAT Club iPhone app will help.
Please read this before posting in GMAT Club Tests forum
Result correlation between real GMAT and GMAT Club Tests
Are GMAT Club Test sets ordered in any way?

Take 15 free tests with questions from GMAT Club, Knewton, Manhattan GMAT, and Veritas.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GPA: 3.3
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 8

Re: M13 Q30 [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2012, 21:07
Clearly, Statement 1 is Sufficient.Any three consecutive evern numbers will have 3 multiple of 2 that comes to 2*2*2 = 8.Also, any three consecutive evern numbers will have atleast 1 multiple of 3, so that leads to 8 (from above)*3=24.Hence, any three consecutive even no is divisible by 24.
If we take 0 as one of the even nos among the three, then also 0 is divisible by any no >0.Hence Statement 1 Is sufficient.

Statement 2 :- Insufficient, Imagine 3,4 and 1 as one of the sets that is divisible by12 but not by 24.Hence, Insufficient.
I would rate this question as 600 level and nothing beyond for sure.

Thanks,
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: M13 Q30 [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2013, 09:56
BM wrote:
Another way of phrasing the question would be: is abc/24 an integer?

Recall that an integer is a whole number in the infinite set {. . . -3, -2, -1, 0, 1, 2, 3, . . .}.

Statement 2:
If abc is divisible by 12, then it could also be divisible by 24 if the the number equalled 24, 48, 240, etc. But if abc is 12, then the number is not divisible by 12. In short, we can't determine the answer. NOT SUFFICIENT.

Statement 1:
Let's start with the smallest absolute values allowed first: 0, 2, and 4. When multiplied, this equals zero - an integer. When zero is divided by any non-zero integer, the result is zero - again, an integer. So it's divisible by 24. If we use, negative numbers -2, -4, -6, we arrive at -48/24 = -2, an integer. If we break down 24 into primes, we have one 3 and three 2's. Pick any consecutive set of even integers. These prime numbers will be in there. In other words the number is divisible by 24. SUFFICIENT.

And the GMAT assumes that you know about the divisibility rules of 0, just as it assumes that you know about the rules for 3, 2, 10, 5, etc.

Regarding Statement 2:
since a*b is divisible by 12...e can write a*b as 12*X(considering X as integer)------(1).
since c is an even number c can be written as 2*Y(considering Y as integer)----------(2).

From (1) and (2) e can write a*b*c = 12*X*2*y=24XY .......so a*b*c is equal to 24XY hich is obviously divisible by 12

so i think statement 2 alone is also SUFFICENT.....Please correct me if iam wrong
Re: M13 Q30   [#permalink] 02 Jan 2013, 09:56