Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:07 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 237 [59]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618557 [11]
Given Kudos: 81561
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [4]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1562 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
Re: If set S consists of even number of integers, is the median [#permalink]
If set S consists of even number of integers, is the median of set S negative?

1)Exactly half of all elements of set S are positive.
2)The largest negative element of set S is -1.

median for a set made of even number of intigers is the average of the middle 2

from 1

insuff

from 2

insuff

both
to get the median one has to arrange the set in ascending order then take the average of the middle 2

ie: the largest -ve + the least +ve / 2 , as long as we dont know the least +ve we 9 could be at least 1 or 2

median = (1-1)/2 = 0 or (2-1)/2 = 1/2 so we can say that the median is not -ve...suff

C
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Nonprofit, Strategy
GPA: 3.42
WE:Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
Kudos
definition of median:
In probability theory and statistics, a median is described as the number separating the higher half of a sample, a population, or a probability distribution, from the lower half. The median of a finite list of numbers can be found by arranging all the observations from lowest value to highest value and picking the middle one. If there is an even number of observations, the median is not unique, so one often takes the mean of the two middle values.

so in this case, we can have a set of -3 -2 -1 1 2 3, hence going by the rule stated above, the median of the set is (-1+1)/2 = 0, and 0 is neither positive nor negative, how is this one C?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
sprtng wrote:
definition of median:
In probability theory and statistics, a median is described as the number separating the higher half of a sample, a population, or a probability distribution, from the lower half. The median of a finite list of numbers can be found by arranging all the observations from lowest value to highest value and picking the middle one. If there is an even number of observations, the median is not unique, so one often takes the mean of the two middle values.

so in this case, we can have a set of -3 -2 -1 1 2 3, hence going by the rule stated above, the median of the set is (-1+1)/2 = 0, and 0 is neither positive nor negative, how is this one C?

combining 1&2 we can get the median is either 0 or positive. for any of these case, median is non negative.
hence we can answer.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6508 [0]
Given Kudos: 100
 Q44  V38
Send PM
Guys,I am not understanding why you people are saying that the set consists of only 2 elements..the answer stands at C only:
eg.: {-2, -1 ,1 ,2} median=0. Is the median -ive?NO (o is neither positive nor negative)

{-3,-2,-1,2,3,4}Median=1/2.NO
{-3,-1,5,8} Median=2.NO. SUFFICIENT>C.

Please point out the flaw.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 496 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Columbia, Johnson, Tuck, Stern
Send PM
Agreed, its C

I thought it was B initially until you read the statement more carefully.

It says it consist of even number of intergers. So the set can have either 2,4,6,8 numbers.

1) insuff
2) insuff

1) + 2) = -1 is the highest negative value. So the next highest value thats positive is 1. In that case the median is 0. So no the median is not negative.

If you work with any number higher than 1, the median is positive. Therefore the median of set S is not negative.

C
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 282 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Ross '14 (M$)
Send PM
NOTE: 0 is neither positive nor negative..

That is the crucial piece of knowledge to remember. W/o it you'll be keep getting the median of -1/2, as I did :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Hi Brunel,

In the underlined;
1) + (2) half positive, biggest negative -1 --> median is either (0 + positive)/2=positive (so not negative) or (-1 + at least smallest positive integer, which is 1)/2=0 (min value of median in this case) also not negative. Q was is the median negative answer NO. SUFFICIENT

The minumum positive number in the set is not mentioned in the question so I am thinking it could be any number for example 5. If so then the median becomes (-1+5)/2, a positive value.

Could you kindly clarify
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618557 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
manishgeorge wrote:
Hi Brunel,

In the underlined;
1) + (2) half positive, biggest negative -1 --> median is either (0 + positive)/2=positive (so not negative) or (-1 + at least smallest positive integer, which is 1)/2=0 (min value of median in this case) also not negative. Q was is the median negative answer NO. SUFFICIENT

The minumum positive number in the set is not mentioned in the question so I am thinking it could be any number for example 5. If so then the median becomes (-1+5)/2, a positive value.

Could you kindly clarify

Yes, that's the point the median could be positive but in no case it could be negative. So, we can answer NO to the question whether the median is negative.

Hope it's clear.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Bookmarks
tejal777 wrote:
Guys,I am not understanding why you people are saying that the set consists of only 2 elements..the answer stands at C only:
eg.: {-2, -1 ,1 ,2} median=0. Is the median -ive?NO (o is neither positive nor negative)

{-3,-2,-1,2,3,4}Median=1/2.NO
{-3,-1,5,8} Median=2.NO. SUFFICIENT>C.

Please point out the flaw.

I'm not quite sure I've understood your question. But I'll try to answer it anyways.

We are looking for the median, or more specifically - We are curious if it is negative(note at this point that 0 is neither negative nor positive).

We know from the original question that there is an even ammount of elements in the set. Since we are looking for the median we and the ammount of elements is even, then we are just interested in the middle two elements.

From statement one we can draw the following conclusion:
Half of the elements are positive, which means that the other half is either negative or zero(since zero is not positive).

With this information we know that the larger one of the middle numbers is 1 or higher. Now we need to know what the lower one of the two numbers is.

Which means (1) is insufficient. As the middle of the set could look like this: {..., -10, 1, ...} making the median negative.

With statement two(2), we find out that the largest of the negative numbers is -1. (Which alone is insufficient as we don't know if there's any positive numbers at all at this point)

But combined with (1), which told us that half was positive, we can start pinpointing the lower of the two middle numbers.

Posibility one - One half is positive, the rest of the numbers are negative (which would make the -1 the lower of the middle numbers, making the median 0(Which is not negative))

Posibility two - One half is positive, the rest consists of atleast one zero and negative numbers. This would make the zero larger than -1 and therefore the number we would use when calculating the median. For example{..., 0, 1, ...} making the median 0.5.

But given a range for the two numbers that actually matters to us we can solve this question.

(1) The larger of the two elements making up the median is larger than 0(since we know it's just integers that means 1 or higher).
(2) The smaller of the two elements making up the median is either -1 or 0.

Sorry about the long post and if I'm totally off the ball. It's my first post and I'm not much of a mathematician :p
Cheers

Edit: Noticed it had several pages just now, lol. Sorry about that tejal. I'll just leave this here if anyone finds my explanation useful.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618557 [1]
Send PM