Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:18 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618875 [29]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618875 [12]
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [4]
Given Kudos: 434
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618875 [1]
Send PM
Re: M16-23 [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
I have edited the question and the solution by adding more details to enhance its clarity. I hope it is now easier to understand.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
GMAT 1: 540 Q57 V19
Send PM
Re M16-23 [#permalink]
I think this is a high-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. Consider the set (5,0,0,0,0,0). Thus the answer should be A in my opinion, plz elaborate.
Math Expert
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
deepak.brijendra wrote:
I think this is a high-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. Consider the set (5,0,0,0,0,0). Thus the answer should be A in my opinion, plz elaborate.

You should read the question more carefully. The question says: "the average of dataset S is not greater than the average of ANY non-empty subset of S". How does {5, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0} satisfy this? The average of {5, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0} is 5/6 but the average of {0}, which is a subset, is 0.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Hi Bunuel

The statement "All elements in S are equal" would be not applicable for the case where the set is a singleton set. By definition when we say all elements in S are equal we mean equal (to each other). When we have only one element in a set, what are we comparing it to? Surely such a statement would be neither true nor false for the singleton set and so the correct answer for this question should be C. III only
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618875 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
PReciSioN wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

If the average (arithmetic mean) of dataset \(S\) is not greater than the average (arithmetic mean) of any non-empty subset of \(S\), which of the following statements must be true?

I. \(S\) contains only one element.

II. All elements in \(S\) are equal.

III. The median of \(S\) is equal to the average (arithmetic mean) of \(S\).

A. none of the three qualities is necessary
B. II only
C. III only
D. II and III only
E. I, II, and III

Consider a dataset \(S\). If the average of \(S\) is not greater than the average of ANY subset of \(S\), then the following scenarios are possible:

A. \(S=\{x\}\), where \(S\) contains only one element (e.g. {7});

B. \(S=\{x, x, ...\}\), where \(S\) contains more than one element and all elements are equal (e.g. {7,7,7,7}).

This is because if the dataset \(S\) contains two or more different elements, then we can always consider the subset with the smallest number, and the mean of this subset (mean of the subset = smallest number) will be less than the mean of the entire dataset (mean of the full dataset > smallest number).

For example, if \(S=\{3, 5\}\), then the mean of \(S=4\). If we pick the subset with the smallest number, \(s'=\{3\}\), then the mean of \(s'=3\). Thus, \(3 < 4\).

Now let's consider the statements:

I. \(S\) contains only one element. This statement is not always true since scenario B is also possible (\(S=\{x, x, ...\}\)).

II. All elements in \(S\) are equal. This statement is true for both scenarios A and B, hence always true.

III. The median of \(S\) is equal to the average (arithmetic mean) of \(S\). This statement is true for both scenarios A and B, hence always true.

Therefore, statements II and III are always true.

Answer: D

Hi Bunuel

The statement "All elements in S are equal" would be not applicable for the case where the set is a singleton set. By definition when we say all elements in S are equal we mean equal (to each other). When we have only one element in a set, what are we comparing it to? Surely such a statement would be neither true nor false for the singleton set and so the correct answer for this question should be C. III only

I don't agree. I think it's perfectly OK to say that all elements of a set are equal if the set contains only one element.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
PReciSioN wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

If the average (arithmetic mean) of dataset \(S\) is not greater than the average (arithmetic mean) of any non-empty subset of \(S\), which of the following statements must be true?

B. II only
C. III only
D. II and III only
E. I, II, and III

Consider a dataset \(S\). If the average of \(S\) is not greater than the average of ANY subset of \(S\), then the following scenarios are possible:

B. \(S=\{x, x, ...\}\), where \(S\) contains more than one element and all elements are equal (e.g. {7,7,7,7}).

This is because if the dataset \(S\) contains two or more different elements, then we can always consider the subset with the smallest number, and the mean of this subset (mean of the subset = smallest number) will be less than the mean of the entire dataset (mean of the full dataset > smallest number).

For example, if \(S=\{3, 5\}\), then the mean of \(S=4\). If we pick the subset with the smallest number, \(s'=\{3\}\), then the mean of \(s'=3\). Thus, \(3 < 4\).

I. \(S\) contains only one element. This statement is not always true since scenario B is also possible (\(S=\{x, x, ...\}\)).

II. All elements in \(S\) are equal. This statement is true for both scenarios A and B, hence always true.

III. The median of \(S\) is equal to the average (arithmetic mean) of \(S\). This statement is true for both scenarios A and B, hence always true.

Hi Bunuel

I don't agree. I think it's perfectly OK to say that all elements of a set are equal if the set contains only one element.

Hi Bunuel

Equal to what? Surely we need 2 quantities for an equality to hold. If a set has only one element, then that element is equal to what? A better way to classify would be - not applicable, no?
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
PReciSioN wrote:
Hi Bunuel

Equal to what? Surely we need 2 quantities for an equality to hold. If a set has only one element, then that element is equal to what? A better way to classify would be - not applicable, no?

In a single-element set, the statement "all elements are equal" is automatically true because there is only one element, so there is no possibility of having unequal elements within the set. This makes the statement trivially true for such sets.

Sorry, I don't anything else to say or add to that.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
PReciSioN wrote:
Hi Bunuel

In a single-element set, the statement "all elements are equal" is automatically true because there is only one element, so there is no possibility of having unequal elements within the set. This makes the statement trivially true for such sets.

I see. While I'm not sure I fully agree with that ( We can argue for no equality as much as no unequality - so the option is true as much as it is false), I really do appreciate your logic and responses Bunuel. :)

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

B. II only
C. III only
D. II and III only
E. I, II, and III

Hi Bunuel ,
Say dataset S = { -5,-4,1}
Average of S = =-2.6 . Median = -4
Subset of S = {-4,1}
Average of subset = -1.5 . So average of S < average of subset .
This case is satisfying the question. Could you explain how option D is the correct answer

Posted from my mobile device
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
aepmk wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

B. II only
C. III only
D. II and III only
E. I, II, and III

Hi Bunuel ,
Subset of S = {-4,1}
This case is satisfying the question. Could you explain how option D is the correct answer

­
You seem to have overlooked a crucial point, which has been explained a couple of times in this thread. I encourage you to review it carefully. Hope it helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
M16-23 [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
aepmk wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

B. II only
C. III only
D. II and III only
E. I, II, and III

Hi Bunuel ,
Subset of S = {-4,1}

­
You seem to have overlooked a crucial point, which has been explained a couple of times in this thread. I encourage you to review it carefully. Hope it helps.

The question says that the average of dataset S is not greater than average of non empty subset of S . The questions says any non empty subset of S. So does that mean - {-5,-4} is also considered when it says any ?
Math Expert
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply

aepmk wrote:

The question says that the average of dataset S is not greater than average of non empty subset of S . Isn’t the above sets satisfying it . What crucial point am I missing ?

­
The question says: "the average of dataset S is not greater than the average of ANY non-empty subset of S".

The average of {-5, -4, 1}, which is -8/3, is greater than the average of {-5, -4}, the average of {-5}, and the average of {-4}. Please review the question, solution, and the discussion more carefully.­
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92901 posts