Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:06 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618572 [7]
Given Kudos: 81562
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618572 [1]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GPA: 3.66
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618572 [0]
Send PM
Re: M32-06 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
PrakruthiJagadish wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
If triangle ABC is right angled at vertex A, what is the area of triangle ABC?

(1) AB + AC = 8.

(2) The length of the largest side of the triangle is \(5 \sqrt 2\)

1. Why is B not the answer? we can say it is an isosceles right-angled triangle.

2. I am not able to comprehend the solution, how do we arrive at 2(AB)(AC)

Thank you.

1. Knowing the length of the hypotenuse is not sufficient to get the area.

2:
Square (1): \((AB)^2 + 2(AB)(AC)+(AC)^2 = 8^2\).

From Pythagoras theorem we know that \((AB)^2 +(AC)^2 = (BC)^2=(5 \sqrt 2)^2=50\).

Substitute \((AB)^2 +(AC)^2 = 50\) into \((AB)^2 + 2(AB)(AC)+(AC)^2 = 8^2\) to get \(50+2(AB)(AC)= 8^2\).

\(50+2(AB)(AC)= 8^2\)

\((AB)(AC)=7\). Sufficient.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
GMAT 1: 590 Q36 V35
Send PM
Hi Bunuel,

In these problems, is it wrong to assume that because triangle ABC is a right triangle and its hypotenuse is 5√2, then it's other two sides are 5 and 5? (its a 45,45,90 triangle).

Also, if I think that this (2 sides with a length of 5) could be an option, can I compare these results with the first statement?
Knowing that they don't add up to 8 could be a clue that those values can't be valid. Would this comparison be okay? (considering that statements don't contradict each other)

Thanks!
Math Expert
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
nelliegu wrote:
Hi Bunuel,

In these problems, is it wrong to assume that because triangle ABC is a right triangle and its hypotenuse is 5√2, then it's other two sides are 5 and 5? (its a 45,45,90 triangle).

Also, if I think that this (2 sides with a length of 5) could be an option, can I compare these results with the first statement?
Knowing that they don't add up to 8 could be a clue that those values can't be valid. Would this comparison be okay? (considering that statements don't contradict each other)

Thanks!

As a rule one shouldn't assume anything on the DS. Why should ABC be isosceles? Is there any single piece of information that supports this? NO!

You are right about the second observation though - if you wrongly assume that ABC is in fact isosceles you could quickly see that it cannot be true because it contradicts the first statement and the statements in DS never contradict each other.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 169 [0]
Given Kudos: 178
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
hi,

can someone pl. confirm if the following relation is true for a right angled trianle:

Median = 0.5 * hypotenuse
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
Ashokshiva wrote:
hi,

can someone pl. confirm if the following relation is true for a right angled trianle:

Yes.

In a right triangle, the median drawn to the hypotenuse has the measure half the hypotenuse.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Send PM
Bunuel

I have a query on this question.
I reached to the conclusion that 1 and 2 are not sufficient independently.
However, while combining 1 & 2, I took the below options.

AB+BC=8 can have options many options of value like 1+7, 2+6, 3+5, 4+4.
and as (2) says that Hyp \sqrt{50} then it means that sides AB and BC have to have values whose sum = 8.

So, while solving it, I came across that AB and AC can have all different values. (are we not supposed to take multiple combinations for sum of 8?)
With different values of the sides, there shall be multiple options, and hence I concluded that C is not sufficient and that E is the answer.

Also, I have gone through the OA and OE given by you. That makes sense to my mind.
But I still can't figure where my reasoning went wrong?

Please help and suggest!
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
GMATAspirer09 wrote:
Bunuel

I have a query on this question.
I reached to the conclusion that 1 and 2 are not sufficient independently.
However, while combining 1 & 2, I took the below options.

AB+BC=8 can have options many options of value like 1+7, 2+6, 3+5, 4+4.
and as (2) says that Hyp \sqrt{50} then it means that sides AB and BC have to have values whose sum = 8.

So, while solving it, I came across that AB and AC can have all different values. (are we not supposed to take multiple combinations for sum of 8?)
With different values of the sides, there shall be multiple options, and hence I concluded that C is not sufficient and that E is the answer.

Also, I have gone through the OA and OE given by you. That makes sense to my mind.
But I still can't figure where my reasoning went wrong?

Please help and suggest!

1. From x + y = 8 you cannot assume that the only solutions are the ones you've listed. We are not told that x and y are integers, thus x + y = 8 has infinitely many solutions.

2. We have two equations: x + y = 8 and x^2 + y^2 = 50. If you solve them in conventional way, you'll get that x = 1 and y = 7 OT x = 7 and y = 1. The area is xy/2, so in either way you get the same answer 7/2. In my solution above we were able to get the area without solving the equation, so we took the shortcut way to get the value of xy and not individual values of x and y.

Hope it helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1911
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Ashokshiva wrote:
hi,

Yes.

In a right triangle, the median drawn to the hypotenuse has the measure half the hypotenuse.

Hello Bunuel,

If above property is right then let say AD is median of triangle ABC, with pt. D on line BC. So, area of right angle triangle = 1/2 *AB *AC or 1/2*AD *BC
AD = 0.5 * BC
so, if we know BC we can get AD and so the area of triangle. Hence, option B will be sufficient.

Please, help me in understanding why this approach is wrong and not the correct answer ?

Thanks,
Aparna
Math Expert
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Aparna_4 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Ashokshiva wrote:
hi,

Yes.

Hello Bunuel,

If above property is right then let say AD is median of triangle ABC, with pt. D on line BC. So, area of right angle triangle = 1/2 *AB *AC or 1/2*AD *BC
AD = 0.5 * BC
so, if we know BC we can get AD and so the area of triangle. Hence, option B will be sufficient.

Please, help me in understanding why this approach is wrong and not the correct answer ?

Thanks,
Aparna

The red part is not correct.

1/2*AD *BC means 1/2*(median)*(hypotenuse) it should be 1/2*(height to hypotenuse)*(hypotenuse). In a right triangle, the median and the height to hypotenuse coincide only when the right triangle is also an isosceles triangle. So, we can get the area of a right triangle by knowing the hypotenuse only if the right triangle is also an isosceles triangle (which is not the case for the question at hand).

Hope it's clear.
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
I have edited the question and the solution by adding more details to enhance its clarity. I hope it is now easier to understand.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92881 posts