Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 10:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MAC--Master of Accounting

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

MAC--Master of Accounting [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2008, 15:26
Hey guys, I am an undergraduate at UNC-Chapel Hill and I want to pursue a JD-MBA (my goal is Harvard) after I graduate. Basically, I'm trying to determine what the best course of action will be a few years from now. I'm a student-athlete and I redshirted my freshman year due to an injury. For those that don't know, this means that I gain an extra year of eligibility to play (I will be able to come back for a 5th year). If I do decide to come back for my fifth year, I obviously won't want to waste time taking undergrad courses after already graduating. Kenan-Flagler (the b-school here) offers a 1-year MAC program, ~top 10 nationally... would this help at all in regards to admissions to an MBA program later on? Or would I be better served by getting work experience? Thanks in advance for your help!
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 178 [1] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: MAC--Master of Accounting [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2008, 15:54
This post received
KUDOS
Hey, neighbor!

One of my friends is in the MAC program at UNC - he's such a cool guy. If you want me to connect you with him, PM me.

Off the top of my head, I think that work experience will probably trump an additional degree. In fact, I've heard about people with advanced degrees needing to "prove" that they "need" the MBA. As in, "Why isn't this other degree you have already good enough? Are you collecting degrees? A workplace failure looking for an exit?"

BUT, I will also say this:

If you wanna play, and can get a free MAC, and like accounting, then do it! A highly-regarded degree for free, while playing a sport you love? That sounds pretty cool to me.

Also, the MAC could help you land a better job = better work experience = better MBA admissions chances. Do you follow?

Overall, if the MAC makes sense for your short-term work goals and your long-term career goals, go for it. If you really want to go into real estate (hence the JD/MBA), then maybe it makes less sense.

that's my gut reaction, anyway.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: MAC--Master of Accounting [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2008, 05:37
Thanks for the response, aaudetat. You hit on my main concern when you talked about having to justify why I wanted an MBA--I need to make sure that it doesn't actually work against me in admissions. I guess I need to determine whether schools/employers will see the MAC/MBA combination as complementary degrees or more as substitutes.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 0

Re: MAC--Master of Accounting [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2008, 07:18
This post received
KUDOS
I have my MSAcct. No problem with having both, as long as you can explain during the admissions process why you need the MBA.

I find that there's very little overlap with the two. Honestly, there doesn't seem to be any advantage to having your MSAcct versus an undergrad acct degree in the job market.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: MAC--Master of Accounting [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2008, 22:30
MAC sounds kinda boring....are there any other interesting 1 year programs you can do for your 5th year? If you do something cool for 1 year maybe that might make a more interesting MBA app story.

Don't most accountants just get CPA anyway?
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: MAC--Master of Accounting [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2008, 04:59
Well, the thing is that in some states (Illinois, at least), you need 150 credit hours prior to sitting for the CPA. This means either summer school or a 5th year. Many people decide to go ahead and shoot for the fifth year because 1. another degree doesn't hurt, and 2. many programs are willing to fork over LOTS of scholarship cash for people in the MSAcct programs.
Re: MAC--Master of Accounting   [#permalink] 01 Apr 2008, 04:59