Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 11:29 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 11:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72869 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma, Omicron Delta Epsilon, Toastmasters Intl, HHonors
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Finance, Economics, Accounting
GPA: 4.0 UG and 3.6 MSA
Send PM
Re: macc programs for non-accounting majors? [#permalink]
MSA programs are generally for a year and designed to help previous UG accounting majors get their 150 for the CPA. (It's pretty much also taking classes that mirror the CPA, so you really should take the test if you get an MSA to make it really worthwhile anyway.) So as such, most aren't designed for non-accounting or non-business students.

If you have a business background, then no problem. You can probably brush up by taking a few prereqs at a community college as necessary.

If you don't have a business background, it may take longer than a year to finish an MSA. You will probably have to take lots of prereqs beforehand just to come to the same level as your ostensible MSA classmates.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
I'm a bit concerned about my lack of accounting classes. Being that I major in history with an econ minor, I have 0 business related classes under my belt.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
jms1987 wrote:
I'm a bit concerned about my lack of accounting classes. Being that I major in history with an econ minor, I have 0 business related classes under my belt.

I understand your concerns, but it's definitely possible to get there. I majored in government and minored in history, and I'll be starting a MAC program this summer. Just compile a list of the schools you're interested in (several don't require an accounting degree) and put together a list of the pre-requisite accounting and business courses. Then start taking them. I took a couple at the local community college, and the rest at a local university. It took me about 2 years total because I was still working full-time, but you could probably do it more quickly than I did.

Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma, Omicron Delta Epsilon, Toastmasters Intl, HHonors
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Finance, Economics, Accounting
GPA: 4.0 UG and 3.6 MSA
Send PM
I do apologize if my answer was incomplete. It's definitely doable with a good plan -- "peggster" is right.

Especially if you're applying to places like NC State etc, community college courses would be a good way to prepare yourself if you feel it necessary. See if there are also correspondence or night classes that are transferable to the programs you want to apply to (especially if they're state schools) so you can keep working while taking them.

peggster wrote:
jms1987 wrote:

I understand your concerns, but it's definitely possible to get there. I majored in government and minored in history, and I'll be starting a MAC program this summer. Just compile a list of the schools you're interested in (several don't require an accounting degree) and put together a list of the pre-requisite accounting and business courses. Then start taking them. I took a couple at the local community college, and the rest at a local university. It took me about 2 years total because I was still working full-time, but you could probably do it more quickly than I did.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
One more thing abhattac5 reminded me of (and thank you for the helpful response): when you're signing up for pre-requisites, pay attention to each school's requirements regarding where to take them. For example, some of the schools I applied to would accept the course credits from either a 2-year (community college) or 4-year school. Others required certain classes to be taken at a 4-year school. So when you're planning where to take classes, make sure that you're taking the right classes at the right kind of school; otherwise, you'll have to do it again. Every school's a little different, but for the most part, they were willing to accept intro-level courses from a community college, and then Intermediate Accounting and up had to be from a 4-year school. That was true for every school I applied to, including NC State, UVA, Wake Forest, and William & Mary. Other schools may differ, though.

And abhattac5 hit the nail on the head: these days, you'll have a lot more options, especially for online classes that you can fit around a work schedule. I was able to take 3 out of 10 classes online, through both a community college and a local university.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts