Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 05:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MACC Question

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

MACC Question [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2007, 12:01
I am planning to apply this Fall to a few MACC programs. I have three schools in mind, but I would also like to know of some other good programs.

What I want:
- A One Year Program (eliminates Texas)
- A good alumni base
- Possible entrance into finance (IB) if not going Big4 Accounting

Schools I am Looking To Go To:
1. USC (Strong alumni base, great school, great weather albeit $$$)
2. Michigan (Best Academics of the three, seems to place more in IB than the other schools)
3. Virginia (Good school, close to home (I am in the Mid Atlantic)
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2007, 17:15
From my research USC definitely has 1 and 2 but I don't know about 3. No matter where you go, IB is an extremely competitive field to get into. Even if you do goto Michigan you will be competing with the MBAs there and also you'll be competing with students from Harvard, Wharton, etc etc. If you really want to get into the best way to get there is getting into a top tier MBA program and kick everyone's butt there.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 6

[#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2007, 19:49
MAcc programs are pretty focused on placing you in public accounting.

I-banks generally recruit top undergrad business students from top universities. Also top MBA students from top MBA schools. Not easy jobs to get at the top firms.

A few people in my program at USC interviewed for I-banks.

A MAcc generally isn't going to lead to an I-banking job right out of the program.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 6

[#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2007, 20:06
By the way, I got my undergrad degree from Michigan. One of my good buddies got his MAcc from there too. I definitely considered it.

I chose USC because I had limited accounting experience coming in and their summer intensive program was what I needed.

I couldn't be happier with my decision to attend USC. The job placement was amazing. 98% of us had jobs by November, before we even took our Fall term finals. Approximately 75-80% with Big 4 firms. We are an incredibly tight group. I've made many friends and created an incredible network. The administrators of the program are amazing. They are your personal advocates and do a wonderful job running the program. I could go on and on. It has far exceded my expectations.

I know many prospective students focus on rankings. Here is how your 3 choices stack up according to the Public Accounting Reports 2006 rankings:

http://bus.utk.edu/cba/News_Articles/Ac ... g_2006.htm

USC: #5
Michigan: #9
Virginia: #17

I don't think the difference between these really makes a difference. Just make the best decision for you.
  [#permalink] 29 Apr 2007, 20:06