Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 06:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Macc, University Insight...

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Macc, University Insight... [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2011, 04:00
Hello all,
This is my first post here, and I am preparing to apply to Macc's for the fall of 2012. I am curious to know what are the advantages of going to schools like USC, UIUC, Ohio State, etc. and spending around 50-60K compared to a decent state school at around 20K. I will be applying to each and depending on my gmat score I should have a good shot at the top programs.

How different will recruiting be, and what affect will having gone to an okay state school over a top program be on future mba applications? Also, for those of you who have gone through the process of applying to the top programs, what kinds of financial aid have you received, and what were your stats?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 685 [0], given: 548

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Macc, University Insight... [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2011, 11:23
In general, the size of recruiting will be bigger at top ranked programs with opportunities to advisory and other non audit/tax positions (although varies by school and position).

In addition, a lot of state schools are facing budget cuts and as a result, your class size will be bigger and they have the pressure to increase class size to generate more revenue to offset budget cuts.

But if you just want to do audit or tax, big state school with reputable acct program will be good enough. (For MBA, it wouldn't be a factor whether you went to state school or private school)

Fin aid - you won't get much fin aid for MAcc programs. Private schools tend to offer some but not much (think USC, William and Mary, etc). Expect to finance much of it from loans or from your pocket.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Macc, University Insight... [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2011, 14:56
nink wrote:
In general, the size of recruiting will be bigger at top ranked programs with opportunities to advisory and other non audit/tax positions (although varies by school and position).

In addition, a lot of state schools are facing budget cuts and as a result, your class size will be bigger and they have the pressure to increase class size to generate more revenue to offset budget cuts.

But if you just want to do audit or tax, big state school with reputable acct program will be good enough. (For MBA, it wouldn't be a factor whether you went to state school or private school)

Fin aid - you won't get much fin aid for MAcc programs. Private schools tend to offer some but not much (think USC, William and Mary, etc). Expect to finance much of it from loans or from your pocket.

Thanks for your reply. I was looking at Baruch and Boston College in particular as schools for NYC recruiting and am curious to know if Boston College will offer similar nyc recruiting opps.
Re: Macc, University Insight...   [#permalink] 06 Aug 2011, 14:56