Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 03:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Machine A can complete a certain job in x hours. Machine B

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 610 Q43 V31
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 26 [2] , given: 16

Machine A can complete a certain job in x hours. Machine B [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2012, 15:46
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

69% (03:23) correct 31% (01:28) wrong based on 224 sessions
Machine A can complete a certain job in x hours. Machine B can complete the same job in y hours. If A and B work together at their respective rates to complete the job, which of the following represents the fraction of the job that B will not have to complete because of A's help?

A. (x – y)/(x + y)
B. x/(y–x)
C. (x+y)/xy
D. y/(x-y)
E. y/(x+y)
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Expert Post
8 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3367

Kudos [?]: 24494 [8] , given: 2680

Re: Work Prob - Part of the Job done [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2012, 16:20
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
docabuzar wrote:
Machine A can complete a certain job in x hours. Machine B can complete the same job in y hours. If A and B work together at their respective rates to complete the job, which of the following represents the fraction of the job that B will not have to complete because of A's help?

A. (x – y)/(x + y)
B. x/(y–x)
C. (x+y)/xy
D. y/(x-y)
E. y/(x+y)

Working together A and B complete the job in \frac{xy}{x+y} hours (as time is a reciprocal of rate then take the reciprocal of combined rate, which is \frac{1}{x}+\frac{1}{y}=\frac{x+y}{xy});

Now, in \frac{xy}{x+y} hours A will complete \frac{1}{x}*\frac{xy}{x+y}=\frac{y}{x+y} part of the job (rate*time=job) and this will be the part which B will not have to complete.

Answer: E.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Schools: Arizona State University

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Machine A can complete a certain job in x hours. Machine B [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2012, 18:55
Hi Bunuel,

Can you help me understand that when we want to calculate the work just done by A and not B of the total work which in this case we assume it as 1. Then why do we multiply the rate of only A with the total time?

I can't get my head around this concept. Is it one of those things that I just accept and move on.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Regards.
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1073

Kudos [?]: 4783 [3] , given: 163

Re: Machine A can complete a certain job in x hours. Machine B [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2012, 21:11
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Take an example to understand it.
A takes 2 hrs (= x) to complete a work alone and B takes 2 hrs (= y) to complete a work alone. Together, they will complete the work in 1 hr = [xy/(x+y) = 2*2/(2+2)]
So A does 1/2 of the work in 1 hr (A's rate of work) and B does 1/2 of the work in 1 hr (B's rate of work).

So when they were working together, each needed to work for only 1 hr.
How much work was done by A in that one hr? 1*(1/2) = (1/2)
So because of A's help, B doesn't need to do half of the work i.e. work done by A.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Machine A can complete a certain job in x hours. Machine B [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2012, 16:21
My solution might be very simple:

If we pick numbers like x = 3hrs and y = 4hrs then it takes 7hrs to complete two units for both of them. (We can use two units because we are looking for fractional work, not a total quantity #). If it takes 7hrs between the two of them then Ma does 3/7 or the work and Mb does 4/7 of the work. This means that Mb is not doing 3/7 of the work and you can plug in your answer choices to find out which one gives you x=3, y=4 -> 3/7
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 620 Q39 V38
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V38

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 23

Re: Machine A can complete a certain job in x hours. Machine B [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2012, 00:45
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
Take an example to understand it.
A takes 2 hrs (= x) to complete a work alone and B takes 2 hrs (= y) to complete a work alone. Together, they will complete the work in 1 hr = [xy/(x+y) = 2*2/(2+2)]
So A does 1/2 of the work in 1 hr (A's rate of work) and B does 1/2 of the work in 1 hr (B's rate of work).

So when they were working together, each needed to work for only 1 hr.
How much work was done by A in that one hr? 1*(1/2) = (1/2)
So because of A's help, B doesn't need to do half of the work i.e. work done by A.

This explanation is vague since you picked 1/2. We cannot see how it works because it does not matter what you do with x and y it's around 1/2.
I see that formula is absolutely correct but don't understand why if the value of 1/x is 2/6 and 1/y is 3/6, the portion which y should not do comes out as 3/5 not 2/5.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V0
GPA: 3.23
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 187 [1] , given: 11

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Machine A can complete a certain job in x hours. Machine B [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2012, 01:25
This post received
KUDOS
\frac{1}{x}+\frac{1}{y}=W

Combining their efforts they could finish: W=\frac{x+y}{xy}

This means it will take them t to complete the job.

\frac{x+y}{xy}(t)=1==>t=\frac{xy}{x+y}

The job done by x will be the job that y doesn't have to worry about.

W=\frac{1}{x}(xy/x+y)==>W=\frac{y}{x+y}

Impossible is nothing to God.

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1073

Kudos [?]: 4783 [2] , given: 163

Re: Machine A can complete a certain job in x hours. Machine B [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2012, 02:03
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
felixjkz wrote:

This explanation is vague since you picked 1/2. We cannot see how it works because it does not matter what you do with x and y it's around 1/2.
I see that formula is absolutely correct but don't understand why if the value of 1/x is 2/6 and 1/y is 3/6, the portion which y should not do comes out as 3/5 not 2/5.

The explanation was meant for saswani who had trouble understanding "Then why do we multiply the rate of only A with the total time?"
It doesn't matter what the numbers are - as long as they are easy to work with - you can make out what's going on.

As for your question "why if the value of 1/x is 2/6 and 1/y is 3/6, the portion which y should not do comes out as 3/5 not 2/5."

If x = 3 and y = 2,
A does 1/3rd work in 1 hr and B does 1/2 work in 1 hr.
When they work together, they complete the work in 1/(1/2 + 1/3) = 6/5 hrs

In 6/5 hrs, A does (1/3)*(6/5) = 2/5 work
and B does (1/2)*(6/5) = 3/5 work

So B does NOT need to do 2/5 of the work. Answer still (E).

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 11

Re: Machine A can complete a certain job in x hours. Machine B [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2013, 03:09
Can someone please explain the formula xy / x+y to state the work done together. I thought I had a well understanding of this concept, however when I saw this question, I lost it completely. Thanks in advance
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 264 [1] , given: 22

Re: Machine A can complete a certain job in x hours. Machine B [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2013, 03:22
This post received
KUDOS
The amount of work that A can do in 1 hour ( or the rate at which A works ) is 1/x, since A takes x hours to complete the whole work. Similarly the amount of work that B can do in 1 hour is 1/y. Now, total work that they can do, when working together, in one hour is 1/x + 1/y.
You can also write it as 1/W = 1/x + 1/y = (x + y ) / xy. 1/W is the rate at which they are working.
Hence, to complete the total work they need xy / (x + y) hours.
Please let me know if anything is not clear.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 24494 [1] , given: 2680

Re: Machine A can complete a certain job in x hours. Machine B [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2013, 03:25
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
KevinBrink wrote:
Can someone please explain the formula xy / x+y to state the work done together. I thought I had a well understanding of this concept, however when I saw this question, I lost it completely. Thanks in advance

Check here: two-consultants-can-type-up-a-report-126155.html#p1030079 and here: work-word-problems-made-easy-87357.html

Hope it helps.

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Intern
Intern

Re: Machine A can complete a certain job in x hours. Machine B [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2013, 03:35
Can someone explain this step a little bit further 1/W = 1/x + 1/y = (x + y ) / xy?
Intern
Intern

Re: Machine A can complete a certain job in x hours. Machine B [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2013, 03:57
Iam really confused right now, I understand everything completely except for this essential part. I went through the stuff you told me Bunuel and I understand everything stated in there. But how do you come from 1/x + 1/y --> (x+y) / xy??? Thanks in advance
Expert Post
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 24494 [0], given: 2680

Re: Machine A can complete a certain job in x hours. Machine B [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2013, 04:10
Expert's post
KevinBrink wrote:
Iam really confused right now, I understand everything completely except for this essential part. I went through the stuff you told me Bunuel and I understand everything stated in there. But how do you come from 1/x + 1/y --> (x+y) / xy??? Thanks in advance

You mean you don't get how 1/x + 1/y equals to (x+y)/xy?

The same way as \frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{3}=\frac{3+2}{2*3}=\frac{5}{6}.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Intern
Intern

Re: Machine A can complete a certain job in x hours. Machine B [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2013, 04:14
Thanks, thanks, thanks!!!! Iam just not that good at re-rewriting mathematical stuff with variables. But with the numerical example I understand it completely. Thank your very much!
Manager
Manager
Dheeraj: Madaraboina
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 31

Premium Member
Re: Machine A can complete a certain job in x hours. Machine B [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2014, 01:26
(1/x) of the work is completed by Machine A in one hour.
(1/y) of the work is completed by Machine B in one hour.
Combined rate(one hour) is 1/x + 1/y = (x+y/xy).
fraction of the job that B will not have to complete because of A's help?
(1/x) of the work will be completed by A.
As we are asked about fraction , (1/x) / (x+y/xy) = (y/x+y).
Hence E :)
Re: Machine A can complete a certain job in x hours. Machine B   [#permalink] 16 Apr 2014, 01:26