Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 06:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Machines X and Y produce identical bottles at different

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Schools: Broad (S)
GPA: 3.1
WE: Project Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 36

Machines X and Y produce identical bottles at different [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2011, 19:21
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

68% (01:53) correct 32% (01:09) wrong based on 34 sessions
Machines X and Y produce identical bottles at different constant rates. Machine X, operating alone for 4 hours, filled part of the production lot; then Machine Y, operating along for 3 hours, filled the REST of this lot.

How many hours would it have taken Machine X operating alone to fill the entire production lot?

1) Machine X produced 30 bottles per minute.
2) Machine X produced twice as many bottles in 4 hours as Machine Y produced in 3 hours.

My work:

Bottles = (rateX)4 + (rateY)3 *Did not forget to convert minutes to hours

1) RateX = 30 b/min = 1800 b/hr
Xbottles = 1800(4) = 7200 bottles

Insuff

2) Bottles Y = 1/2 Bottles X

I went with putting them together, getting the total number of bottles produced and backing out the rate for the answer. WRONG.

I have the answer, I just don't understand it.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kelly

Give Me Kudos if you like my post!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 46

Re: DS Work Problem [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2011, 20:39
I recommend you to approach the question as mentioned below -

As question is asking to find time taken by Machine X operating alone to fill the entire production lot and we've know that production lot (a) partily filled by X in 4 hrs (b) Rest filled by Y in 3 hrs.
As we dont have any information about Part(b), we need to find or establish a relationship between X and Y so that we can calculate the whole period in terms of X. Fortunately, The relation is clearly given in (2) Machine X produced twice as many bottles in 4 hours as Machine Y produced in 3 hours.

Hence, B is the answer. No calculation required.

Hope it helps!
Cheers!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What you do TODAY is important because you're exchanging a day of your life for it!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Schools: Broad (S)
GPA: 3.1
WE: Project Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 36

Re: DS Work Problem [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2011, 12:00
Thanks. Your explanation is so much clearer.

Good luck with your GMAT!

Kelly

Give Me Kudos if you like my post!

Director
Director
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 32

Re: Machines X and Y produce identical bottles at different [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2011, 23:38
(1) x filled 30 x 4 = 120 bottles, but we do not know the what portion is 120. insufficient.

(2) y = 3b
x = 6b
total 9b
so 2 sufficient.
Ans. B

I am student of everyone-baten
Collections:-
PSof OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ps-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110005.html
DS of OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ds-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110004.html
100 GMAT PREP Quantitative collection http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-problem-collections-114358.html
Collections of work/rate problems with solutions http://gmatclub.com/forum/collections-of-work-rate-problem-with-solutions-118919.html
Mixture problems in a file with best solutions: http://gmatclub.com/forum/mixture-problems-with-best-and-easy-solutions-all-together-124644.html

Re: Machines X and Y produce identical bottles at different   [#permalink] 30 Nov 2011, 23:38