Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 13:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Machines X and Y work at their respective constant rates. Ho

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 4

Machines X and Y work at their respective constant rates. Ho [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2009, 13:16
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

62% (01:36) correct 38% (00:58) wrong based on 37 sessions
Machines X and Y work at their respective constant rates. How many more hours does it take machine Y, working alone, to fill a production order of a certain size than it takes machine X, working alone?

Let x and y be the times needed for machines X and Y respectively working alone to fill a production order of this size.

Question: y-x=?

(1) Machines X and Y, working together, fill a production order of this size in 2/3 the time that machine X, working alone, does --> general relationship: \frac{1}{x}+\frac{1}{y}=\frac{1}{total \ time} --> Total time needed for machines X and Y working together is total \ time=\frac{xy}{x+y} (general formula) --> given \frac{xy}{x+y}=x*\frac{2}{3} --> 2x=y. Not sufficient

(2) Machine Y, working alone, fills a production order of this size in twice the time that machine X, working alone, does --> 2x=y, the same info. Not sufficient

(1)+(2) Nothing new. Not Sufficient.

Answer: E.

[color=#ff0000]OPEN DISCUSSION OF THIS QUESTION IS HERE: machines-x-and-y-work-at-their-respective-constant-rates-128011.html
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Attachments

Machine X & Y.jpg
Machine X & Y.jpg [ 88.72 KiB | Viewed 1612 times ]

Last edited by Bunuel on 26 Jul 2014, 01:39, edited 2 times in total.
Renamed the topic, edited the question and added the OA.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Nonprofit, Strategy
GPA: 3.42
WE: Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 9

Re: Machines X and Y work at their respective constant rates. Ho [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2009, 15:44
D.

assuming X takes x amount of time to finish a size of order, and Y takes y amount of time to finish the same size, we need the relationship of x and y

so in statement 1, we have 1/(1/x + 1/y) = 2x/3 =simplify=> xy/(x+y) = 2x/3 => 3y = 2x+2y => y = 2x

and in statement 2, we have y = 2x.

so D. each is sufficient

-edit
after reading whatdahell's reasoning, I neglected the word "hours" in the original question, if the question is looking for an actual number, then we cant calculate the number by any means...the only result we can get is how much faster is x than y, so E probably is a better choice if that's the case

Last edited by sprtng on 27 Jul 2009, 15:55, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: Machines X and Y work at their respective constant rates. Ho [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2009, 15:47
IMO : E - both not suffis

I see that you've chosen C, that means you know why I alone and II alone is not sufficient.

From I, you get the equation: (2/3)x = (xy)/(x+y) ----- (assuming X takes x hours and Y takes y hours to complete the job)

From II, you get x = 2y,

We need to get-> y-x,

from 1 and 2, replacing x= 2y in (i),

(2/3)(2y) = (2yy)/(3y)
-> (4y/3) = (2y/3)
y cancels out so no way of knowing the variable's value. There (E)
Manager
Manager
Schools: Sloan '14 (S)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 16

Re: Machines X and Y work at their respective constant rates. Ho [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2009, 07:51
I agree with whatthehell

From the original statement and statement 1 I got the following equation:

1/X + 1/Y = 1/ (2/3*X)

Which is still not sufficent.

Statement 2 alone is not sufficient either...

and when you substitute 2*X for Y :

1/X + 1/2*X = 3/(2*X)
or
3/(2*X) = 3/(2*X)

So the answer is E. Both statements together are not sufficient.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 249 [0], given: 22

Re: Machines X and Y work at their respective constant rates. Ho [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2009, 21:12
it is E, by both we arrive at Y =2X, X can take any values.. not sufficient.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 208

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Machines X and Y work at their respective constant rates. Ho [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2014, 01:23
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Re: Machines X and Y work at their respective constant rates. Ho   [#permalink] 26 Jul 2014, 01:23