Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Jul 2015, 22:07
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Madison avenue

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 79

Kudos [?]: 484 [0], given: 109

Madison avenue [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2010, 18:45
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

48% (01:53) correct 52% (00:58) wrong based on 23 sessions
This question was posted before but I have some doubts about it:

One legacy of Madison Avenue's recent campaign to appeal to people fifty years old and over is the
realization that as a person ages. their
concerns change as well.

(A) the realization that as a person ages, their
(B) the realization that as people age, their
(C) to realize that when a person ages, his or her
(D) to realize that when people age, their
(E) realizing that as people age, their

Why not this option (look the spoiler)?
[Reveal] Spoiler:
E

According to the other post: "one legacy" is a noun, it should be followed with "realization...", which is also a noun. It would be incorrect to say "One legacy ... is to realize.....".
If that is true, "realizing" in E would be correct too. In that option, "realizing" is working as a noun (a gerund).

Finally, it seems that the rule which states that a noun should be followed by a noun is not correct. There are other examples in which a noun is followed by TO + VERB. For example: "...one goal is TO DEVELOP".

I think that in this question you have to use your ear rather than your grammar knowledge.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Retired Moderator
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 41

Re: Madison avenue [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2010, 11:19
One legacy of Madison Avenue's recent campaign to appeal to people fifty years old and over is the
realization that as a person ages. their concerns change as well.

Let me give you my idea why E cant be chosen... basically you are right that if we term realizing as noun.. then E becomes contender.

But, if you see the way the sentence is structured here.. if you read the sentence with choice E, it may create an ambiguity of percepting the word realizing as present continuous form of realize and can create ambiguity.

Other then that i don't see any concrete reason for the same... but i am sure those who are masters of SC can spot something more then this

http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-test/

Amazing Platform

Manager
Manager
Schools: Admitted: IESE($$),HEC, RSM,Esade
WE 1: 3.5 years international
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 18

Re: Madison avenue [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2010, 12:30
metallicafan wrote:

concerns change as well.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
E

According to the other post: "one legacy" is a noun, it should be followed with "realization...", which is also a noun. It would be incorrect to say "One legacy ... is to realize.....".
If that is true, "realizing" in E would be correct too. In that option, "realizing" is working as a noun (a gerund).

Finally, it seems that the rule which states that a noun should be followed by a noun is not correct. There are other examples in which a noun is followed by TO + VERB. For example: "...one goal is TO DEVELOP".

I think that in this question you have to use your ear rather than your grammar knowledge.

Realization is an idea noun and it lends itself perfectly well to "that clause". Are you aware of the V-A-N principle? When you select a that-clause you are actually making the sentence stronger.
Secondly, gerund is not appropriate in this context because gerunds usually take the tense of the main verb and in this case it means an ongoing action which is not actually the case. Stay away from gerunds and progressive tenses when the use of present tense will suffice
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 3

Re: Madison avenue [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2010, 21:57
shekharvineet wrote:
metallicafan wrote:

concerns change as well.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
E

Realization is an idea noun and it lends itself perfectly well to "that clause". Are you aware of the V-A-N principle? When you select a that-clause you are actually making the sentence stronger.
Secondly, gerund is not appropriate in this context because gerunds usually take the tense of the main verb and in this case it means an ongoing action which is not actually the case. Stay away from gerunds and progressive tenses when the use of present tense will suffice

Basic question :

'their' is singular or plural ? concerns - singular verb so 'their' is referring to singular subject people ?
Current Student
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 110 [0], given: 65

Re: Madison avenue [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2010, 22:46
B.

E is incorrect because 'is realizing' is a present progressive form.

You can make a case that 'realizing~' is a gerund used as a noun, but it is unclear.

Consider KUDOS if my post was helpful. :-D

My Debrief: 750-q49v42-105591.html#p825487

Re: Madison avenue   [#permalink] 01 Nov 2010, 22:46