Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 01:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Magazine article: The Environmental Commissioner's new

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Magazine article: The Environmental Commissioner's new [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2004, 12:11
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

50% (00:00) correct 50% (01:29) wrong based on 2 sessions
15. Magazine article: The Environmental Commissioner's new proposals are called "Fresh Thinking on the Environment" and a nationwide debate on them has been announced. Well, "fresh thinking" from such an unlikely source as the commissioner does deserve closer inspection. Unfortunately we discovered that these proposals are virtually identical to those issued three months ago by Tsarque Inc, under the heading "new Environmentalism" (Tsarque Inc's chief is a close friend of the commissioner). Since Tsarque Inc's polluting has marked it as an environmental nightmare in our opinion the "nationwide debate"can end here.

A flaw in the magazine article?s reasoning is that it

(A) assumes without any justification that since two texts are similar one of them must be influenced by the other

(B) gives a distorted version of the commissioner?s proposals and then attacks this distorted version

(C) dismisses the proposals because of their source rather than because of their substance

(D) uses emotive language in labeling the proposals

(E) appeals to the authority of Tsarque Inc's chief without giving evidence that this person's opinion should carry special weight
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2004, 12:42
anandnk wrote:
Why wouldn't it be A?

The conclusion of the argument given is Since Tsarque Inc's polluting has marked it as an environmental nightmare in our opinion the "nationwide debate"can end here.

The magazine does not want a debate because Tsarque Inc's proposal was dismissed. It is assuming that the substance of the two articles are the same (Option A). But, Option C points out the reasoning behind the magzine's conclusion.
i.e. If X is wrong -> anything similar to X is wrong.

Thus, C gives a more stronger option than A.
If option C IS a flaw then the argument CANNOT hold by itself.

But, even if Option A IS NOT assumed, the argument CAN still stand.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2004, 12:45
C also. A does not relate to the argument. The argument says that since Tsarque Inc's chief is a close friend of the commissioner and Tsarque Inc is polluting therefore, the environmental proposal can be invalidated. The author is really trying to attack the sources rather than assuming any similarity between the two texts

Best Regards,

Paul

SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2004, 12:56
You can blame the source only when you assume that the two articles are connected. A is necessary to justify the blame.
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2004, 13:02
anandnk wrote:
You can blame the source only when you assume that the two articles are connected. A is necessary to justify the blame.

Correct, but as I said in the post above, you can reject the debate claim even if u assume the two articles are different on the basis that the source is the same.
So, Option A is not always true.
But, Option C is always true from the information in the stimulus.
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2004, 13:07
Ok guys the correct answer is C. I chose A. Now I see why. I have a slight twist to what you have explained.

Wether or not the articles are same the proposals are same. This is confirmed in the passage. Since proposals are same incompetitiveness of one source in a way proves the incompitiveness of the other. This is what C says. I hope you will agree.
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2004, 13:09
So anandnk, we finally agree. :-D
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2004, 13:12
Ok beer fan and Lord of the Rings ( am I correct in assuming this ) we agree.
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2004, 13:16
anandnk wrote:
Ok beer fan and Lord of the Rings ( am I correct in assuming this ) we agree.

"Beer fan", ofcourse :lol:
Better be one, you require lots of beer after the GMAT... :wink:
  [#permalink] 07 Jan 2004, 13:16