Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 04:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Magazine editor: I know that some of our regular advertisers

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Magazine editor: I know that some of our regular advertisers [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2006, 10:40
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Magazine editor: I know that some of our regular advertisers have been pressuring us to give favorable mention to their products in our articles, but they should realize that for us to yield to their wishes would actually be against their interests. To remain an effective advertising vehicle, we must have loyal readership, and we would soon lost that readership if our readers suspect that our editorial integrity has been compromised by pandering to advertisers.
Advertising-sales director: You underestimate the sophistication of our readers. They recognize that the advertisements we carry are not articles, so their response to the advertisements has never depended on their opinion of the editorial integrity of the magazine as a whole.
22. Which one of the following is the most accurate assessment of the advertising-sales director’s argument as a response to the magazine editor’s argument?
(A) It succeeds because it shows that the editor’s argument depends on an unwarranted assumption about factors affecting an advertisement’s effectiveness.
(B) It success because it exposes as mistaken the editor’s estimation of the sophistication of the magazine’s readers.
(C) It succeeds because it undermines the editor’s claim about how the magazine’s editorial integrity would be affected by allowing advertisers to influence articles.
(D) It fails because the editor’s argument does not depend on any assumption about readers’ response to the advertisements they see in the magazine.
(E) It fails because it is based on a misunderstanding of the editor’s view about how readers respond to advertisements they see in the magazine.
23. The magazine editor’s argument assumes which one of the following?
(A) A magazine editor should never be influenced in the performance of his or her professional duties by the wishes of the companies that regularly advertise in the magazine.
(B) The magazine cannot give any favorable mention in its articles to its regular advertisers without compromising its reputation for editorial integrity.
(C) Favorable mention of their products in the magazine’s articles is of less value to the advertisers than is the continued effectiveness of the magazine as an advertising vehicle.
(D) Giving favorable mention to a product in a magazine article is a more effective form of advertising than is an explicit advertisement for the product in the same magazine.
(E) Carrying paid advertisements can never pose any threat to the magazine’s reputation for editorial integrity nor to the loyalty of its readership.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2006, 11:00
D and B
VP
VP
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2006, 19:09
D
C
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2006, 20:22
Professor wrote:
D
C

Prof. you rock!

D and C indeed

D is not so difficult to arrive at

the second one needs a careful consideration of 'if' - otherwise we are leaving it to chance 50 - 50 .

So far I am consistently hitting the other 50% which perhaps is good because the law of averages will soon catch up. I picked B as well
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2006, 05:19
Agree with prof after reviewing the 2nd one again
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Kellogg School of Management
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 3

[#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2006, 05:50
Professor wrote:
D
C

Prof, could you explain D for the first one ?

I was thinking B since the director is pointing out that the readers dont really consider the advertisements for the determining editorial integrity and is making a valid arguement by pointing that out
VP
VP
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Advertising [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2006, 11:09
old_dream_1976 wrote:
Magazine editor: I know that some of our regular advertisers have been pressuring us to give favorable mention to their products in our articles, but they should realize that for us to yield to their wishes would actually be against their interests. To remain an effective advertising vehicle, we must have loyal readership, and we would soon lost that readership if our readers suspect that our editorial integrity has been compromised by pandering to advertisers.

Advertising-sales director: You underestimate the sophistication of our readers. They recognize that the advertisements we carry are not articles, so their response to the advertisements has never depended on their opinion of the editorial integrity of the magazine as a whole.

22. Which one of the following is the most accurate assessment of the advertising-sales director’s argument as a response to the magazine editor’s argument?

(A) It succeeds because it shows that the editor’s argument depends on an unwarranted assumption about factors affecting an advertisement’s effectiveness.
(B) It success because it exposes as mistaken the editor’s estimation of the sophistication of the magazine’s readers.
(C) It succeeds because it undermines the editor’s claim about how the magazine’s editorial integrity would be affected by allowing advertisers to influence articles.
(D) It fails because the editor’s argument does not depend on any assumption about readers’ response to the advertisements they see in the magazine.
(E) It fails because it is based on a misunderstanding of the editor’s view about how readers respond to advertisements they see in the magazine.

the editor didnot mention anything about the readers response to the ad (rather his/her response about the readers response to the article).

if you read carefully, you find the diff...
Re: CR - Advertising   [#permalink] 04 Jun 2006, 11:09