Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:33 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [65]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Own Kudos [?]: 5416 [27]
Given Kudos: 82
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 186 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 334 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
GMAT Date: 07-16-2012
GPA: 3.4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Magazine Publisher: Our magazine does not have a liberal bias. It is t [#permalink]
stallone wrote:
Magazine Publisher: Our magazine does not have a liberal bias. It is true that when a book review we had commissioned last year turned out to express distinctly conservative views, we did not publish it until we had also obtained a second review that took a strongly liberal position. Clearly, however, our actions demonstrate not a bias in favor of liberal views but rather a commitment to a balanced presentation of diverse opinions.

Determining which of the following would be most useful in evaluating the cogency of the magazine publisher’s response?
A. Whether any other magazines in which the book was reviewed carried more than one review of the book
B. Whether the magazine publishes unsolicited book reviews as well as those that it has commissioned
C. Whether in the event that a first review commissioned by the magazine takes a clearly liberal position the magazine would make any efforts to obtain further reviews
D. Whether the book that was the subject of the two reviews was itself written from a clearly conservative or a clearly liberal point of view
E. Whether most of the readers of the magazine regularly read the book reviews that the magazine publishes

The important point to understand that magazine publisher argues that their magazine is unbiased and balanced. He provides evidence pointing to the fact that magazine provided conservative review to balance the liberal review provided by other magazine.

Here, what needs to be evaluated is if magazine provides its review first then will it reconsidered any other review to balance the tide.

option C clearly specify that question, hence C
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 167 [0]
Given Kudos: 163
Send PM
Re: Magazine Publisher: Our magazine does not have a liberal bias. It is t [#permalink]
i did not understand this argument and answered this question wrong. Can anyone please explain me the meaning of liberal bias? I took it as if magazine publisher is saying that they do NOT have a fair bias.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [1]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ashutoshsh wrote:
i did not understand this argument and answered this question wrong. Can anyone please explain me the meaning of liberal bias? I took it as if magazine publisher is saying that they do NOT have a fair bias.

The argument is saying there are tow types of views : Conservative and Liberal.

It is saying it is not biased to the liberal side. It is neutral for both.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Given Kudos: 309
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.85
Send PM
VeritasKarishma could you please explain difference b/w option C and option D. I am still not able to distinguish b/w the two options
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 104 [2]
Given Kudos: 105
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Aviral1995 wrote:
VeritasKarishma could you please explain difference b/w option C and option D. I am still not able to distinguish b/w the two options

May be i can help.
Lets evaluate option C :
Premise says book first got conservative views. As owner want to be nuetral and show they are unbiased they went for 2nd review from Liberals. This show that their working is genuine and unbiased for any particular segment of views.
Now question asks to evaluate cogency of publisher : means, how can we Support the publisher is correct or Make the fact that he is unbiased is true and evaluate it

Option C says the same but in reverse direction: Whether first they get liberal view will they go for Conservative. If No then they are biased towards liberals, If yes, then yes they are Unbiased. So it will be important to evaluate this fact from both sides.

Option D : We don't want to evaluate the book but rather publisher stance on it. If book is written on liberal or conservative view ,still publisher will go for reviews . Premise doesn't mention that book for which he went for Conservative view was conservative or liberal. This option just doesn't stand to help us evaluate the publisher position.

Hope i am able to explain

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help With +1 Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 409
Send PM
Hey experts,

KarishmaB AjiteshArun ExpertsGlobal5

Why is option D incorrect? If book were written from conservative POV then review has liberal bias(because we are not giving conservative review) and if book were written from liberal POV then the review is balanced. Please do help me understand flaw in my reasoning and understanding of option D.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [3]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Magazine Publisher: Our magazine does not have a liberal bias. It is t [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
waytowharton wrote:
Hey experts,

Why is option D incorrect? If book were written from conservative POV then review has liberal bias(because we are not giving conservative review) and if book were written from liberal POV then the review is balanced. Please do help me understand flaw in my reasoning and understanding of option D.

Hi waytowharton,

I think we should take a look at the meaning of the word conservative. Conservative, as it is used here, refers to an ideology. Similarly, liberal also refers to an ideology. To put it more simply, conservative = "right-wing", and liberal = "left-wing". So the "conservative review" the publisher is talking about doesn't really have anything to do with the book. It just means that the review expresses ~right-wing/traditional views. The second (liberal) review, on the other hand, most likely expresses ~left-wing/modern views.

The publisher's argument is about the review(s). Option D is about the book that was the subject of the two reviews, and is therefore irrelevant.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64919 [4]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
waytowharton wrote:
Hey experts,

The argument talks about the MAGAZINE's views. The magazine published the book review (how a particular book is, their opinion on the book good/bad etc). Whether the reviewer(s) has a conservative or liberal bias is the point of contention. Whether the author of the book itself has liberal or conservative bias, we do not care. Option (D) talks about the book's bias.

What will the reviewer do if she has a conservative bias? She will give a good review to "books supporting conservative ideas" and bad to "books supporting liberal ideas".
What will the reviewer do if she has a liberal bias? She will give a bad review to "books supporting conservative ideas" and good to "books supporting liberal ideas".
Note that if the reviewer calls a conservative book conservative, and a liberal book liberal, we cannot say that she has a bias. She is just spelling out facts. The reviewer gives her opinions. The argument tells us that the reviewer expressed "conservative views" so we know she gave opinions supporting conservative mindset. Then they went out looking for another reviewer, one who has a liberal bias. So in all her reviews, she will support liberal ideas. The magazine sought a liberal bias reviewer after getting a conservative bias review.

Hence, the actual bias of the book is irrelevant to us.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 186
WE:Pharmaceuticals (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Magazine Publisher: Our magazine does not have a liberal bias. It is t [#permalink]
Evaluating the cogency of the Magazine?

Elimination technique: Rule out options with deviating terms, concept or entities that are not related to the argument or passage.

A: Other Magazine
B: Unsolicited Book
C: Conserve this option
D: Author. This option refers to the author
E: Readers

Options A,B,D and E mentions reference entities that are not related to the question and not affect evaluation of the Magazine.

C states a scenario where Magazine would take further reviews after it has given its first review which takes a liberal position? Evaluating this will help understand whether the Magazine is biased or not.

The best way to reach the answer is Elimination technique.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
P1: MP: Our magazine does not have the liberal bias.
P2: It is true that a book we reviews turned our to express conservative view, we didn't not publish until we got the liberal position view
C: clearly however we are not bias in favor of liberal views but rather a commitment to balance opinions (We are not liberals bias)

Evaluate?

We dont care about other magazines
No relevance to evaluate conclusion
What if magazine would get the first view as liberal, (Would the magazine make efforts to get the further reviews)(yes, then it is supporting the MP, but if no then it is against the MP)
What are reviews are clearly liberal or conservative views (by questioning that we will be questioning the premise of the CR)
Not relevant

C is the answer clearly
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts