Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 00:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) a noninvasive diagnostic

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) a noninvasive diagnostic [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2009, 18:46
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

75% (01:59) correct 25% (00:00) wrong based on 3 sessions
Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) – a noninvasive diagnostic procedure – can be used to identify blockages in the coronary arteries. In contrast to angiograms – the invasive procedure customarily used – MRI’s pose no risk to patients. Thus, to guarantee patient safety in the attempt to diagnose arterial blockages, MRI’s should replace angiograms in all attempts at diagnosing coronary blockages.

Which of the following, if true, would most support the recommendation above?

(A) Angiograms can be used to diagnose conditions other than blockages in arteries.
(B) MRI’s were designed primarily in order to diagnose blockages in the coronary arteries.
(C) Angiograms reveal more information about the nature of a blockage than an MRI can.
(D) An MRI is just as likely as an angiogram to identify an arterial blockage.
(E) Some patients for whom an angiogram presents no risk are unwilling to undergo an MRI.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Eliminated A C & E. Left with B & D. Went with B. But OA is D.

How is D better than B? Any explanations?
1 KUDOS received
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)
Followers: 152

Kudos [?]: 500 [1] , given: 527

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: ETS Paper test#42 CR#10 [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2011, 04:16
This post received
KUDOS
This is an assumption rather than strengthen question.
ans is D.

The assumption is the following: D shows that MRI and angiogram are comparable objects, and one can replace another one.
Use negation technique, if MRI is less effective than angiogram, I doubt that one must replace another. In this case the validity of conclusion fails apart.

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: ETS Paper test#42 CR#10 [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2009, 18:58
Between B and D , I went with D

D mainly says that MRI scan is as good as angiogram , putting emphasis on MRI scan usability and comparing this with angiogram

while B says MRI was designed in order to diagnose blockages , note that this option is not saying that this is as good as customary method - angiogram

Always tag your question

Director
Director
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 162 [0], given: 100

GMAT Tests User
Re: ETS Paper test#42 CR#10 [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2009, 19:55
YUP D:)My two cents..
Note the use of the word "primarily" in choice B.MRI's CANBE used to identify blockages..no mention of this being the PRIMARY purpose.Who knows?Maybe it was just introduced to replace angiograms..!

countdown-beginshas-ended-85483-40.html#p649902

Current Student
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: ETS Paper test#42 CR#10 [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2009, 01:00
IMO D
I suspect B because it doesn't mention whether MRI is as good as or better than angiogram. It simply says that MRI's were primarily designed in order to diagnose blockages, but no mention of their success or results.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: ACA, CPA
Schools: BC
WE 1: Big4, Audit
WE 2: Banking
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 41

GMAT Tests User
Re: ETS Paper test#42 CR#10 [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2009, 04:59
D it is

Note the question carefully.

to guarantee patient safety in the attempt to diagnose arterial blockages, MRI’s should replace angiograms in all attempts at diagnosing coronary blockages.

MRI is as good as angiograms when it comes to detection which will fulfill the condition (guarantee patient safety)

B is a close second. Primary purpose does not shed light on its performance.
For ex - Paracetamol's primary purpose is for the relief of fever but it is mainly used in numerous cold and flu remedies.

Hope this helps!

If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Re: ETS Paper test#42 CR#10 [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2009, 07:11
Just my opinion on this, hope it will help others:

I saw this type of question in two official prep materials (one was the OG, the other one was either GMATprep or OG verbal, I'm not 100% sure) and, most importantly, in the real thing too. It's always something about comparing two different things, usually medicine or equipment. The question is formulated as such:
- objects and A and B are as efficient in an issue, but we chose B instead
- however, object B is better in some respect

You are supposed to find the statement that strengthens the argument. Three of the options will present positive points for A, while the issue is to pick between the remaining two. The "trick" here is to spot the answer that compares A and B and not to fall for the trap answer, which will list JUST A PLUS for B.

In one of the examples that I remember most clearly (I think it was from the OG), they were comparing two alarm systems that had the same rate of detecting break-ins. The better one was the alarm system that had the lowest rate of false positives.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: ETS Paper test#42 CR#10 [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2009, 13:52
MRI is non-invasive while the angiogram is invasive.

The fact that the MRI is equally efficient in finding blockages and poses little health risk due to the non-invasive nature led me to chose D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: ACA, CPA
Schools: BC
WE 1: Big4, Audit
WE 2: Banking
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 41

GMAT Tests User
Re: ETS Paper test#42 CR#10 [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2009, 18:04
Nicely said danaJ

DanaJ wrote:
Just my opinion on this, hope it will help others:

I saw this type of question in two official prep materials (one was the OG, the other one was either GMATprep or OG verbal, I'm not 100% sure) and, most importantly, in the real thing too. It's always something about comparing two different things, usually medicine or equipment. The question is formulated as such:
- objects and A and B are as efficient in an issue, but we chose B instead
- however, object B is better in some respect

You are supposed to find the statement that strengthens the argument. Three of the options will present positive points for A, while the issue is to pick between the remaining two. The "trick" here is to spot the answer that compares A and B and not to fall for the trap answer, which will list JUST A PLUS for B.

In one of the examples that I remember most clearly (I think it was from the OG), they were comparing two alarm systems that had the same rate of detecting break-ins. The better one was the alarm system that had the lowest rate of false positives.

If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: ETS Paper test#42 CR#10 [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2009, 19:19
D strengthens the argument more than B.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 23

GMAT Tests User
Re: ETS Paper test#42 CR#10 [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2009, 10:41
D

I didn't think B was even close. The fact that MRI's are desgined for it doesn't mean that it will do a better job than angiograms.
Remember: the issue is MRIs vs Angiograms. B does not help you compare the two.
Re: ETS Paper test#42 CR#10   [#permalink] 10 Sep 2009, 10:41