Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Nov 2014, 11:35

Happy Thanksgiving:

Free Access to GMAT Club Tests until 11 AM PST on Fri 10/28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Magooshs Integrated Reasoning Guide

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Magooshs Integrated Reasoning Guide [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2012, 16:28
has anyone tried the first question for table analysis from Maggosh Integrated reasoning guide ?

http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-integ ... ning-ebook

I am stuck on part 3 ,

So I look up the number of countries which spend more than 20$ per student , which starts with Poland ( 20.20$ ) and goes up to Sweden (53.50$ ) , then I will check if any of those countries have less than 20% of 20+ year olds ?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.2
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 3

Re: Magooshs Integrated Reasoning Guide [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2013, 12:18
Hi Chris93,

The question asks is whether the statement given in part 3 could be inferred based on the information given in table. However, in IR one needs to find patterns based on all information in the table.
The way you mentioned would be the way to do it. However, it would be easier if you just did a cursory glance over the range of values in 1st column(%of 20+ year old in tertiary education) and 3rd column(public spending per student,tertiary education). You would realize that there is no value in the first column that is less than 20%. Hence, all countries with any public spending per student shown in the table will have percentage of 20+students greater than 20%. And hence, we would say that the statement can be inferred from the data. However, from the table we can see that as the average spending per student increases, the rank increases. So there are quite a few countries ranked above 107. However, only few have been shown. Also, it is mentioned in the passage that as the rank increases the number of 20+ students decreases. Hence, there might be countries with less than 20% of 20+students involved in tertiary education who might receive more than 20$ per student for tertiary education. The data might not be tabulated in this table. We do not know anything about those countries but since we cannot infer the whether such data might exist, the answer must be no.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.

chris93 wrote:
has anyone tried the first question for table analysis from Maggosh Integrated reasoning guide ?

http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-integ ... ning-ebook

I am stuck on part 3 ,

So I look up the number of countries which spend more than 20$ per student , which starts with Poland ( 20.20$ ) and goes up to Sweden (53.50$ ) , then I will check if any of those countries have less than 20% of 20+ year olds ?

Thanks
Kris
Instructor at Aspire4GMAT

Visit us at http://www.aspire4gmat.com

Post your queries
Join our free GMAT course

New blog: How to get that 700+
New blog: Data Sufficiency Tricks

Press Kudos if this helps!

Re: Magooshs Integrated Reasoning Guide   [#permalink] 18 Feb 2013, 12:18