Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Sep 2014, 11:02

Happy Labor Day:

Free Access to New GMATClub Tests for all GMATClub Members!!

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Mailing hard-copies of recommendation letters to schools

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Mailing hard-copies of recommendation letters to schools [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2009, 19:16
Hi, I was wondering how strict schools are about requiring recommendations to be uploaded via the internet? The only reason I ask is that I've submitted most of my recommendation letters to my Letter Of Reference service at my undergraduate institution and plan to mail those directly to admissions. Furthermore, 2 of the 3 recommenders I no longer keep in contact with (one was recently layed-off from work and the other is a college professor). I've noticed a number of schools (Chicago, Harvard, Wharton) "require" letters to be uploaded online, but from your experience, how stringent are they and which schools really REQUIRE it? Pleas let me know. Thanks.
Current Student
Schools: Fuqua
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

Re: Mailing hard-copies of recommendation letters to schools [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2009, 19:46
All the schools "require" this simply as a matter of their convenience. No matter what they say, if you have your letters sent to them from your school's service (meaning they're sealed and your school's imprimatur is on them), the school to which you're applying should take them. This is exactly what I did, and I didn't have a problem with it - no reputable adcom would really reject you because you went this way.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 548

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Mailing hard-copies of recommendation letters to schools [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2009, 19:48
trojanaffairs wrote:
Hi, I was wondering how strict schools are about requiring recommendations to be uploaded via the internet? The only reason I ask is that I've submitted most of my recommendation letters to my Letter Of Reference service at my undergraduate institution and plan to mail those directly to admissions. Furthermore, 2 of the 3 recommenders I no longer keep in contact with (one was recently layed-off from work and the other is a college professor). I've noticed a number of schools (Chicago, Harvard, Wharton) "require" letters to be uploaded online, but from your experience, how stringent are they and which schools really REQUIRE it? Pleas let me know. Thanks.

As long as the school have a PDF version or print version of their application available (including the rec letter section), you can mail them in. Admissions office will open a folder for you in your name and keep all your stuff mailed to them for up to 6 months.

However, let the school know that you will be doing this and check with them that they received the item in mail.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Mailing hard-copies of recommendation letters to schools   [#permalink] 04 Mar 2009, 19:48