Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Aug 2014, 01:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Main Idea/Primary Purpose Questions The main idea/primary

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
5 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 592

Kudos [?]: 2161 [5] , given: 681

Main Idea/Primary Purpose Questions The main idea/primary [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2013, 02:44
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED

Main Idea/Primary Purpose Questions

The main idea/primary purpose questions in unarguably the most common question type in the Reading Comprehension section of the GMAT.
Practice these questions and make sure you nail them on the test :-)

Sample Passage from the collection

According to economic signaling theory, consumers may perceive the frequency with which an unfamiliar brand is advertised as
a cue that the brand is of high quality. The notion that highly advertised brands are associated with high-quality products does
have some empirical support. Marquardt and McGann found that heavily advertised products did indeed rank high on certain
measures of product quality. Because large advertising expenditures represent a significant investment on the part of a
manufacturer, only companies that expect to recoup these costs in the long run, through consumers’ repeat purchases of the
product, can afford to spend such amounts.
However, two studies by Kirmani have found that although consumers initially perceive expensive advertising as a signal of high
brand quality, at some level of spending the manufacturer’s advertising effort may be perceived as unreasonably high, implying
low manufacturer confidence in product quality. If consumers perceive excessive advertising effort as a sign of a manufacturer’s
desperation, the result may be less favorable brand perceptions. In addition, a third study by Kirmani, of print advertisements,
found that the use of color affected consumer perception of brand quality. Because consumers recognize that color
advertisements are more expensive than black and white, the point at which repetition of an advertisement is perceived as
excessive comes sooner for a color advertisement than for a black-and-white advertisement.

The primary purpose of the passage is to
A. present findings that contradict one explanation for the effects of a particular advertising practice
B. argue that theoretical explanations about the effects of a particular advertising practice are of limited value without
empirical evidence
C. discuss how and why particular advertising practices may affect consumers’ perceptions
D. contrast the research methods used in two differentstudies of a particular advertising practice
E. explain why a finding about consumer responses to aparticular advertising practice was unexpected

Compiler: Ivy GMAT, Bangalore.
Attachments

RC Primary Purpose Questions from OG 12 - answerkey.pdf [247.38 KiB]
Downloaded 466 times

To download please login or register as a user

rc from og - primary purpose questions.pdf [163.51 KiB]
Downloaded 441 times

To download please login or register as a user

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 36

Re: Offical RC Primary Purpose Questions! [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2013, 02:59
Great effort. Thanks for this treat! :-D

Thanks and Regards!

P.S. +Kudos Please! in case you like my post. :)

VP
VP
Followers: 210

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Main Idea/Primary Purpose Questions The main idea/primary [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2014, 21:31
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 65

Re: Main Idea/Primary Purpose Questions The main idea/primary [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2014, 07:08
What is the OA and OE for this passage.
I go with option C
Re: Main Idea/Primary Purpose Questions The main idea/primary   [#permalink] 14 Jun 2014, 07:08