Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 01:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Maintaining Current Network and Activities During B-School

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
SVP
SVP
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Maintaining Current Network and Activities During B-School [#permalink] New post 18 May 2007, 10:16
Currently I serve on the steering committee of my national trade group. I do a lot of stuff with these folks, including give trainings, provide TA to other organizations, attend conferences, etc.

I'm trying to decide how much I should stay involved in this stuff. On the one hand, I've built a good network and I want to maintain it -- I think it'll come in handy later as I'm planning to stay in largely the same field. On the other hand, I had seen b-school as a time to really immerse myself in something new.

What is more practical, in terms of my career, my time in school, building my resume? What will recruiters like?
VP
VP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 183 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 May 2007, 10:35
I think it depends on whether you want to make a major career change or just give some boost to your current career path.

Major career change --> the "old" network may still be useful, but time would probably be better invested in creating a new network better aligned with your chosen path.

Boost current path --> you'd better keep that network.

L.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 May 2007, 10:40
What is the time commitment involved? I am going through something similar and originally I planned on quiting my extracuricular involvement. However, I decided to keep on doing it, parhaps putting in fewer hours, even though it is not business related. If it turns out that I just don't have time for it I'll quit but not until I try.

In your case, since it is related to your future career, I think it makes even more sense to keep it up (assuming time requirements are not too taxing). A long-term comitment to something looks very impressive on a resume.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 May 2007, 11:13
I agree with Econgirl, a long-term commitment will look good on a resume. I guess you'll have to gauge whether that "asset" on your resume is worth the time commitment.

Incidentally, what is a "trade group"?
SVP
SVP
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 May 2007, 12:01
trade group -- you know -- national pork producers: The other white meat.

Got milk? National Dairy Association.

Only my trade group is for the community tax preparation field. We don't have a slogan.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 May 2007, 06:02
Gotcha.
  [#permalink] 19 May 2007, 06:02