Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 08:22

Hurry Up:

Last day of registration for Dealing with a Ding - Webinar by GMATClub and Admissionado Consulting.

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Major change in the GMAT Sentence Correction-Idioms R.I.P

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Major change in the GMAT Sentence Correction-Idioms R.I.P [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2011, 07:18
Posted Thu, 22/09/2011 - 09:00 by Team Aristotle

The big news coming out of the recently hosted GMAC Summit is that there have been a couple of major changes in the Sentence Correction section.

Change #1 – Idioms have been completely eliminated from the test

Change #2 – There will be more stress now on the ‘meaning’ of sentences, so to speak.

So from when are these changes going to come into effect?

Guess what, they already are!

In fact, a lot of the candidates who’ve taken the GMAT in the last 2-3 months have given the feedback that the sentence correction questions on the actual test are very different from what they had seen in the Official Guides or other practice material.

At Aristotle Prep we have always stressed that for 700+ scorers, the emphasis will be more on the meaning of the sentence than on the specific errors themselves. In fact, we are already in the process of coming up with a question bank that incorporates this change. It’s good to be vindicated, thank you Dr Rudner (Dr Lawrence M. Rudner has clearly become a celebrity amongst GMAT test-takers in the last couple of days. In case you haven’t heard of him, he’s the man responsible for the aforementioned changes)

The question is how does one prepare for Sentence Correction now?

The OGs have suddenly become unrepresentative of the actual test content (the OG 13 only comes out in April 2012) because one of the most important aspects tested in the OGs is Idioms. If you have gone through our Ultimate 1-minute Explanations to OG 12 SC book, you would know that the first split that we always recommend is an Idiom split and in several questions in the OG, this first split itself gives you the answer or at least eliminates some of the options. This won’t be the case on the actual test from now on, at least for a lot of the questions.

So what do you do now?

How do you prepare for Sentence Correction now, which anyways used to be a problem area for most students?

Has everything that you have studied till now suddenly become redundant?

Can't you do anything to ensure that you're better prepared to tackle higher difficulty level questions , or can you ?

Please someone bring me some light on this if this is really true ????

Those who gave gmat in last 2 to 3 weeks or so please let us know if there is any major change in the SCs and what steps we need to follow now. I am going to give the exam after 10days from now and I am in great dilemma now...
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 36

Re: Major change in SC in GMAT [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2011, 09:07
gurumurthyb wrote:
Posted Thu, 22/09/2011 - 09:00 by Team Aristotle

The big news coming out of the recently hosted GMAC Summit is that there have been a couple of major changes in the Sentence Correction section.

Change #1 – Idioms have been completely eliminated from the test

Change #2 – There will be more stress now on the ‘meaning’ of sentences, so to speak.

So from when are these changes going to come into effect?

Guess what, they already are!

In fact, a lot of the candidates who’ve taken the GMAT in the last 2-3 months have given the feedback that the sentence correction questions on the actual test are very different from what they had seen in the Official Guides or other practice material.

At Aristotle Prep we have always stressed that for 700+ scorers, the emphasis will be more on the meaning of the sentence than on the specific errors themselves. In fact, we are already in the process of coming up with a question bank that incorporates this change. It’s good to be vindicated, thank you Dr Rudner (Dr Lawrence M. Rudner has clearly become a celebrity amongst GMAT test-takers in the last couple of days. In case you haven’t heard of him, he’s the man responsible for the aforementioned changes)

The question is how does one prepare for Sentence Correction now?

The OGs have suddenly become unrepresentative of the actual test content (the OG 13 only comes out in April 2012) because one of the most important aspects tested in the OGs is Idioms. If you have gone through our Ultimate 1-minute Explanations to OG 12 SC book, you would know that the first split that we always recommend is an Idiom split and in several questions in the OG, this first split itself gives you the answer or at least eliminates some of the options. This won’t be the case on the actual test from now on, at least for a lot of the questions.

So what do you do now?

How do you prepare for Sentence Correction now, which anyways used to be a problem area for most students?

Has everything that you have studied till now suddenly become redundant?

Can't you do anything to ensure that you're better prepared to tackle higher difficulty level questions , or can you ?

Please someone bring me some light on this if this is really true ????

Those who gave gmat in last 2 to 3 weeks or so please let us know if there is any major change in the SCs and what steps we need to follow now. I am going to give the exam after 10days from now and I am in great dilemma now...

Yea i've read the same from Manhattan forum...and im totally stumped by the news.
My exam is on Oct 17...i already spent lot of time and energy for preparation and most of it on Verbal which was always my weak area.

Can some please let us know how to tackle this kind of questions ???
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 43

Re: Major change in the GMAT Sentence Correction-Idioms R.I.P [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2013, 11:47
Does anyone have an update on this? Are idioms out and have the SC questions really changed?
Re: Major change in the GMAT Sentence Correction-Idioms R.I.P   [#permalink] 27 Mar 2013, 11:47