Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:19 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Re: making the list [#permalink]
Thank you all very much for your help!!
I think, Kryzak, you hit the nail on the head there: I still need to define more clearly what I want to do prior to the apps. I know that ultimately whatever I do, I would want it to be related to healthcare, so I'm going to pursue that line of thinking and define what I want.

I'll definitely look into Haas, Stanford, HBS as super-reaches...

Thanks again,
AC.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
no problem AC, hope it was useful.

For Stanford, just be aware that the admit rate has dropped into the "near impossible" level for any applicant these days... so if you like their program, do your best on your application but keep in mind that it is crazy hard to get into. :)
Current Student
Send PM
Thanks again for your help! I've spent a bit of time thinking about what I want to do and why I want an MBA. And I think I have the nutshell explanation down:

I have 3 (will have 4 at matriculation) years of work experience in the healthcare IT field, working on the vendor side. I am currently a Clinical Lead and Application Manager. I’ve had great success in this field and I would like an MBA to help me reach my long term goal of starting up my own company in this field, creating products/ideas that can be implemented to improve healthcare in emerging markets.

Right now I know the product implementation, I know the industry. I need an MBA to help me gain the skills I need to create my own company.

Does this make sense to you all? And if so, which schools would you add to the list Kryzak ID'd below?

Quote:
For Healthcare
1. Kellogg
2. MIT
3. Haas
4. Stanford (super reach)

Duke?

thanks!! :)
AC.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: General Management
Schools:Harvard '11
Send PM
ac, it looks like you have a great shot at your schools...i'm curious as to how you made the transition from poli sci/international relations to healthcare IT. Doesn't seem common to me (but maybe it is!)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Healthcare
Schools:Attending Stanford
Send PM
Definitely look at Wharton and Duke for healthcare... probably the two best-known healthcare MBA programs around. I wrote a post about Wharton's Healthcare Management program the other day, in response to a question from terp06. Feel free to ask any questions you might have. Duke's Health Sector Management program is also very well regarded, though I'm not as familiar with the specifics of that program.

Ac, if you stay in healthcare, do you have a feeling for exactly what you want to do? You indicated pharma and healthcare consulting, and you have a background in medical informatics. If those are the areas you're interested in, I would stick more with Wharton, Duke, Kellogg, and Haas (HBS as well, they're really pushing their Healthcare Initiative... a good friend of mine went to HBS and is doing very well in medical informatics). Sloan and Stanford would be great places to look if you're thinking more along smaller/early stage biotech and entrepreneurship. If you're unsure, then going the first route (Wharton, Duke, et al.) might be safer. You can do anything you want from any of these schools, of course... they're all great. But I think Stanford and Sloan are more geared toward earlier-stage and technology/biotech-related ventures.
Current Student
Send PM
Thank you very much Terry.
You know I'm not sure if I want to restrict myself to just early-stage startup/entrep so at this point, it'll probably be best to go a more general route. At this point, my ideal job would involve both medical informatics and emerging markets. Whether I would get there via the consulting route, the entrep option, or some combination - I'm not sure at this time.

I think my next steps are to really dig into what the various hc mgmt programs offer and see which are the best fit.

Thanks!
ac.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Remember that even while top schools may not be considered the best in a specific field the brand and network at a top 5 school usually trumps specialty rankings. Specialty rankings are helpful when debating between two peer schools. Also I dont suggest choosing a school just because its the #1 in a specialty if you would really prefer the #2 or #3 school if they are on par.

Having a clear idea of what you want is good for essays, well you need to at least be able to convince adcoms you have a clear idea. Many people show up with an idea of field/industry but not really the specifics of what they want to do. If you end up at any top 10 school you will find a job in your desired field that you will enjoy. If you get into a top 5 then you really will have as many opportunities as you want to pursue. If you end up at Kellogg there will be more than enough IB jobs to chase. If you go to GSB there will be marketing jobs.

Might I be the squeaky wheel and suggest that if you arent sure what you really want to do that you wait and figure that out before you apply. Talking with a lot of students they seem to make it sound like you are incredibly crunched for time and people that run around chasing a million different career options really suffer due to that. Besides at your age another year of work will probably help you during recruiting and applying, especially if you increase your leadership responsibilities. Also if the economy turns around then application volume may drop again.
Current Student
Send PM
thanks river!! squeaky wheels are always welcome! no seriously, I am certain of the industry I want to be in post-MBA, now I just have to determine which role I want within the industry.

I think my problem is that I want to do everything and I want to do it now :)

I'm fairly confident that I will be able to clearly identify and articulate my goals in time for application this fall. Unless something life changing occurs during the MBA, that will be pretty much what I aim for in post-MBA life as well!

cheers,
ac.
GMAT Club Bot