Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 16:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Making the most out of business school

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: CPA
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 14

Making the most out of business school [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2012, 15:49
I was speaking to a professor at Haas about business school the other night. He mentioned that he felt like the students that receive the most value out of business school are the ones that go into the school with more business knowledge and experience. He pointed out that his PT students got more value out of his class than the FT students. His main argument was that increased knowledge and experience resulted in better understanding of the concepts being taught during these classes. That without a proper understanding of overall context, one could not mentally connect the dots and effectively process all the information that was coming in during these classes. Consequently these students basically aren't getting the best bang for their buck. And that's a lot of bucks imo.

Personally I feel like his argument makes sense, but I am unsure how big of a problem this is (practically speaking) and how big of a role this should play in terms of admissions timing.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Particularly people who have actually attended b-school classes are graduated recently?
Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 328 [0], given: 19

Premium Member
Re: Making the most out of business school [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2012, 10:09
Expert's post
I think this view is true to a certain extend. Having the prior business knowledge definitely helps you to connect the dots early in your business education, and allow you to understand that small nuances. However, there is also value in coming in the b-school with an almost empty cup, such as non-traditionals, absorbing business knowledge throughout b-school. Although, you may struggle a bit in the beginning, eventually, you’ll understand. Both types of student gained something out of the experience, albeit, in a slightly different manner. Furthermore, no one is expert in all aspects of business. Even the investment banker may be a fish out of water in the marketing class.

Diversity

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, Statistics
Schools: Ross (Michigan) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.31
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 49

Reviews Badge
Re: Making the most out of business school [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2012, 08:38
I agree with the idea as well but also to a point. I think having business experience will definitely help you connect the dots and see the big picture of the classroom material and theories you will learn. I also think that having work/business experience will help you realize what you are interested in and want to focused on, drawing what you want from a program for the short 2 years that it lasts. I've heard that the people who get a lot out are those with a good idea of what they want to do and how they want to spend their time so if they don't have work experience a student may want to try it all.

I don't think there is a science to the perfect business school experience. You can still try new different things at bschool and succeed but I think having experience can bring maturity, understanding, drive, and focus that will be valuable in your business school experience.

From a profs experience I can see why he thinks part-times are getting more from the class because the part timers don't have to recruit. That allows the part-timers more time to spend on classwork and interacting with the professor creating a prof biased. I'm not sure which is better but there is more to bschool than just the classes.

GO BLUE!

Re: Making the most out of business school   [#permalink] 27 Jun 2012, 08:38