Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 20:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Making use of contemporary diaries and letters, Florey s

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 11-18-2012
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 32 [1] , given: 23

Making use of contemporary diaries and letters, Florey s [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2012, 04:25
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

62% (01:38) correct 38% (00:28) wrong based on 146 sessions
Making use of contemporary diaries and letters, Florey’s complexity is brilliantly revealed by Lax.

A. Florey’s complexity is brilliantly revealed by Lax
B. Florey is brilliantly shown in all his complexity by Lax
C. Lax brilliantly reveals Florey’s complexity
D. Lax brilliantly revealed the complexity of Florey
E. Lax’s study has brilliantly revealed the complexity of Florey
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Thriving for CHANGE

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1298

Kudos [?]: 3662 [2] , given: 185

Re: Making use of contemporary diaries and letters [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2012, 04:58
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi,
Making use of contemporary diaries and letters, Florey’s complexity is brilliantly revealed by Lax.

The sentence means that Lax reveals Florey’s complexity by making use of contemporary diaries and letters.

Now let’s spot the errors in the sentence. This sentence has just one subject-verb, meaning we have just one clause here. This sentence starts with a verb-ing modifier “making”. This modifier denotes an action. Hence, the doer of that action should be the subject of the following main clause. However, Florey’s complexity is the subject here. So “making” is modifying Florey’s complexity. This modification is incorrect. It is Lax who has made use of the diaries and letters. Hence, the subject of the IC should be Lax.

POE:

A. Florey’s complexity is brilliantly revealed by Lax: Incorrect for the reason stated above.

B. Florey is brilliantly shown in all his complexity by Lax: Incorrect. Same modification error as in choice A.

C. Lax brilliantly reveals Florey’s complexity: Correct.

D. Lax brilliantly revealed the complexity of Florey: Incorrect. This choice uses the incorrect verb tense.

E. Lax’s study has brilliantly revealed the complexity of Florey: Incorrect. Verb-ing “making” is incorrectly modifying “Lax’s study”.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Director
Director
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 75

Re: Making use of contemporary diaries and letters [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2012, 05:04
verb+ing modifier -Making

(A)(B) out -passive voice and the verb+ing modifier is modifying Florey
(C)(D) tough tie
(E) is wordy study can not make use (making is modifying Lax's study)
(C) wins because;
Making is correctly modifying Lax, the intended meaning.

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: IE'14, ISB'14, Kellogg'15
WE 1: 7 Yrs in Automobile (Commercial Vehicle industry)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 172 [0], given: 50

Reviews Badge
Re: Making use of contemporary diaries and letters [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2012, 05:11
Hi e-gmat

Why are we choosing present tense over past tense in option D. C and D seems grammatically right.
Is it because the original one is written in present tense.

Regards
SD
-----------------------------
Press Kudos if you like my post.
Debrief 610-540-580-710(Long Journey): from-600-540-580-710-finally-achieved-in-4th-attempt-142456.html

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative

Kudos [?]: 3662 [0], given: 185

Re: Making use of contemporary diaries and letters [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2012, 06:14
Expert's post
SOURH7WK wrote:
Hi e-gmat

Why are we choosing present tense over past tense in option D. C and D seems grammatically right.

Hi there,

Yes, we choose present tense over the past because the original senetnce is written in present tense that sets the context of the action. Choice C retains that context by using present tense.

Thanks.
Shraddha

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative

Kudos [?]: 3662 [0], given: 185

Re: Making use of contemporary diaries and letters [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2012, 06:15
Expert's post
SOURH7WK wrote:
Hi e-gmat

Hi there,

Yes, we choose present tense over the past because the original sentence is written in present tense that sets the context of the action. Choice C retains that context by using present tense.

Thanks.
Shraddha

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 11-18-2012

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 23

Re: Making use of contemporary diaries and letters [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2012, 08:48
Thanks egmat for an explanation,
I have choosen 'D'
I haven't rectified verb tense.

Thriving for CHANGE

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 11-02-2012
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 17

Re: Making use of contemporary diaries and letters [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2012, 05:15
egmat wrote:
SOURH7WK wrote:
Hi e-gmat

Hi there,

Yes, we choose present tense over the past because the original sentence is written in present tense that sets the context of the action. Choice C retains that context by using present tense.

Thanks.
Shraddha

Hi shradha,

I m still not clear when u say original sentence is written in present form.......is it about changing the meaning?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 38

Re: Making use of contemporary diaries and letters [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2012, 07:22
In C, I feel the possessive is wrong. - Florey’s complexity
(apostrophe is used for possessive with living things only, NO?)

Someone, please clarify. Thanks!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MGMAT 6 650 (51,31) on 31/8/11
MGMAT 1 670 (48,33) on 04/9/11
MGMAT 2 670 (47,34) on 07/9/11
MGMAT 3 680 (47,35) on 18/9/11
GMAT Prep1 680 ( 50, 31) on 10/11/11

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
CR notes
http://gmatclub.com/forum/massive-collection-of-verbal-questions-sc-rc-and-cr-106195.html#p832142
http://gmatclub.com/forum/1001-ds-questions-file-106193.html#p832133
http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-critical-reasoning-collection-106783.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html?hilit=chineseburned

Manager
Manager
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 15

Re: Making use of contemporary diaries and letters, Florey s [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2012, 10:38
egmat

please can you explain on choosing between C and D. IMO C and D both will make sense it will not matter

what tense is used.. there should be some other explanation for choosing D.. I chose D because C uses the possessive form, which I read somewhere is not preferable..
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative

Kudos [?]: 3662 [1] , given: 185

Re: Making use of contemporary diaries and letters, Florey s [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2012, 11:24
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
ratinarace wrote:
egmat

please can you explain on choosing between C and D. IMO C and D both will make sense it will not matter

what tense is used.. there should be some other explanation for choosing D.. I chose D because C uses the possessive form, which I read somewhere is not preferable..

Hi there,

As I have already mentioned in my previous post, Choice C is preferred over choice D because the original sentence is written in present tense. There does not seem to be any apparent reason why we should choose the answer that is written in past tense. The context of the sentence is set in the present tense and there is no reason why we should rewrite in past tense.

Another reason for choosing choice C over choice D is that the use of possessive noun in choice C. Generally, the use of possessive for living things are preferred, but the use of possessiive for non-living things are not preferred. For example, Amy's cat, John' box. For non-living things: the button of the shirt (not shirt's button), the icing of the cake (not cake's icing).

In the given sentence. Florey is certainly a living thing. So using the possessive form is correct in choice C.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Statistics, International Business
Schools: Fuqua, ISB '15
GMAT Date: 12-02-2013
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 46

Kudos [?]: 167 [0], given: 39

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Making use of contemporary diaries and letters, Florey s [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2013, 11:07
Expert's post
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Making use of contemporary diaries and letters, Florey s [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2014, 07:25
In the Manhattan SC book, the following sentence is shown in order to emphasize what a dangling modifier is:

Wrong: Using the latest technology, the problem was identified
Correct: Using the latest technology, the engineer identified the problem.

Explaination: The modifier using the latest technology needs to refer to someone who actually used the technology.

Thus, the sentence that follows the modifier does not necessarily have to be in present tense as shown in that example.

Now back to the question.

I think what makes C the preferred choice here is that it uses the correct possessive noun.
Making use of contemporary diaries and letters, Florey s   [#permalink] 01 Oct 2014, 07:25