Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 05:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Malik's recipe for 4 servings of a certain dish requires 3/2

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Malik's recipe for 4 servings of a certain dish requires 3/2 [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2008, 21:16
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

75% (01:30) correct 25% (00:44) wrong based on 87 sessions
Malik's recipe for 4 servings of a certain dish requires 3/2 cups of pasta. According to this recipe, what is the number of cups of pasta that Malik will use the next time he prepares this dish?

(1) The next time he prepares this dish, Malik will make half as many servings as he did the last time he prepared the dish.
(2) Malik used 6 cups of pasta the last time he prepared this dish.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Bunuel on 29 Apr 2014, 06:52, edited 2 times in total.
Renamed the topic, edited the question and added the OA.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 79 [2] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Malik DS [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2008, 04:35
This post received
KUDOS
C

4 servings - 3/2 pasta

1. X/2 with X unknown
Not Sufficient
2. He used 6 cups of pasta last time, means he prepared the recipe for 16 servings
Not Sufficient

Together
Sufficient
Director
Director
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GMAT Date: 06-22-2012
GPA: 2.9
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 353 [0], given: 217

GMAT Tests User
Malik's recipe for 4 servings of a certain dish requires 3/2 [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2011, 13:19
Malik's recipe for 4 servings of a certain dish requires 3/2 cups of pasta. According to this recipe, what is the number of cups of pasta that Malik will use the next time he prepares this dish?

(1) The next time he prepares this dish, Malik will make half as many servings as he did the last time he prepared the dish.

How to solve this question guys? Can someone please tell?

Best Regards,
E.

MGMAT 1 --> 530
MGMAT 2--> 640
MGMAT 3 ---> 610 :-(

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 40 [1] , given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ratio - Malik's Recipe [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2011, 13:28
This post received
KUDOS
Problem: To find out number of cups of pasta that Malik will use the next time he prepares this dish?
Statement - 1.5 cups needed for 4 servings

A) Talks about information related to last time he prepared the dish - Not sufficient

B) Gives the information about the last time he prepared the dish. No relation given to his Next preperation. Not Sufficient alone.

A and B together.
1.5 Cups -> 4 servings
6 Cups will give 16 servings. From B
From A we know that he will Prepare 8 servings. Hence he would need 8/(4/1.5) = 3 Cups.

Both A and B together solve the Problem. Hence C

Time to play the game...

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 05-31-2012

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Malik's recipe for 4 servings of a certain dish requires 3/2 [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2012, 04:16
Hi Guys

Statement 1 says - (1) The next time he prepares this dish, Malik will make half as many servings as he did the last time he prepared the dish.

I interpreted this as next time he will prepare half of 4 servings which is 2 so he will need half of 1.5 cups of pasta !! :? :?

Then answer is A

Please advise
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3360

Kudos [?]: 24353 [2] , given: 2677

Re: Malik's recipe for 4 servings of a certain dish requires 3/2 [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2012, 04:36
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
morya003 wrote:
Hi Guys

Statement 1 says - (1) The next time he prepares this dish, Malik will make half as many servings as he did the last time he prepared the dish.

I interpreted this as next time he will prepare half of 4 servings which is 2 so he will need half of 1.5 cups of pasta !! :? :?

Then answer is A

Please advise

No, that's not a correct interpretation. The stem just gives us the info about the recipe for 4 servings, it doesn't say that Malik prepared 4 servings last time.

Also if you take last time to be 4, then this would be in contradiction with statement (2), because from it we get that last time Malik prepared 16 servings (6 cups of pasta are needed for 16 servings).

On the GMAT, two data sufficiency statements always provide TRUE information and these statements never contradict each other or the stem.

So, this should have been a hint that your reading of the question was not correct.

Hope it's clear.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 246 [1] , given: 543

Re: Malik's recipe for 4 servings of a certain dish requires 3/2 [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2013, 03:13
This post received
KUDOS
Statement 1

Next time = 1/2 last time - we don't have any other info

Statement 2

Last time = 6

Combined

6/2 = 3?

From A we know that he will Prepare 8 servings. Hence he would need 8/(4/1.5) = 3 Cups.

I didn't understand the above step...

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.2
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 3

Re: Malik's recipe for 4 servings of a certain dish requires 3/2 [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2013, 11:42
The difference in understanding is because the initial author calculated in terms of number of servings while you calculated directly based on the number of cups of Pasta

What you did gives you the answer on the combined step itself and you don't need the last step "From A we know that he will Prepare 8 servings. Hence he would need 8/(4/1.5) = 3 Cups."

However, if you calculated based on the number of servings, it would have worked out as shown below

1.5 cups of pasta needed for making 4 servings.
based on statement 2, 6 cups of Pasts will give us 6*4/1.5=16 servings. --a

These 16 servings were made last time. We know from statement 1

Number of servings next time= half the number of servings of pasta that he made last time.

Hence, next time servings=8

how many cups of pasta would be required to make 8 servings of pasta?

4 servings=1.5 cups of pasta
8 servings=3 cups of pasta (8/(4/1.5) = 3 Cups.)

Hope this helps!

fozzzy wrote:
Statement 1

Next time = 1/2 last time - we don't have any other info

Statement 2

Last time = 6

Combined

6/2 = 3?

I didn't understand the above step...

Thanks
Kris
Instructor at Aspire4GMAT

Visit us at http://www.aspire4gmat.com

Post your queries
Join our free GMAT course

New blog: How to get that 700+
New blog: Data Sufficiency Tricks

Press Kudos if this helps!

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 480 Q32 V25
WE: General Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 44

Re: Ratios [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2013, 00:02
This post received
KUDOS
kabilank87 wrote:
Malik's recipie of 4 servings of a certain dish requires a 1.5 cups of pasta.According to this recipie what is the number of cups of pasta malik will use the next time he prepares the dish ?

a. the next time he prepares the dish mailk will use half as many servings as he did the last time he prepares the dish.
b. Malik used 6 cups of pasta the last time he prepared the dish.

Here, my main doubt is the first sentences " Malik 's recipie of 4 servings of a certain dish requires a 1.5 cups of pasta " is a ratio or a data. If it is a data, the " last time " mentioned in the option A refers to this last. I mean did he prepared 4 servings of certain dish last time.I assumed this way but the my answer is wrong.

Kabilan.K
Kudos is a boost to participate actively and contribute more to the forum :)

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V30
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 16

Re: Ratios [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2013, 03:44
kabilank87 wrote:
kabilank87 wrote:
Malik's recipie of 4 servings of a certain dish requires a 1.5 cups of pasta.According to this recipie what is the number of cups of pasta malik will use the next time he prepares the dish ?

a. the next time he prepares the dish mailk will use half as many servings as he did the last time he prepares the dish.
b. Malik used 6 cups of pasta the last time he prepared the dish.

Here, my main doubt is the first sentences " Malik 's recipie of 4 servings of a certain dish requires a 1.5 cups of pasta " is a ratio or a data. If it is a data, the " last time " mentioned in the option A refers to this last. I mean did he prepared 4 servings of certain dish last time.I assumed this way but the my answer is wrong.

For 4 servings of certain pasta dish he would need 1.5 cups of pasta. to serve for four people he would need 1.5 cups of pasta to prepare the final dish.
so in essence it is a ratio. servings/cups of pasta = 4/1.5.

using stmt 1 or 2 alone we cannot deduce the answer.
But using both we have enough information to deduce the answer.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 25

Re: Malik's recipe for 4 servings of a certain dish requires 3/2 [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2013, 10:15
morya003 wrote:
Hi Guys

Then answer is A

Please advise

Me too.. :(
Bunuel's pointed a VERY GOOD reminder that the statements never contradict each other (I almost forgot!)

Thanks Bunuel.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 178

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Malik's recipe for 4 servings of a certain dish requires 1 [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2014, 03:34
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Expert Post
Math Expert
Followers: 3360

Kudos [?]: 24353 [0], given: 2677

Re: Malik's recipe for 4 servings of a certain dish requires 3/2 [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2014, 06:53
Expert's post
redbeanaddict wrote:

Similar questions to practice:
m07-72458.html
a-certain-bread-recipe-calls-for-wheat-white-flour-and-oat-103934.html
miguel-is-mixing-up-a-salad-dressing-regardless-of-the-109740.html
a-certain-bread-recipe-calls-for-whole-wheat-flour-white-129148.html
a-recipe-requires-2-1-2-cups-of-flour-2-3-4-cups-of-sugar-152952.html
what-is-the-ratio-of-the-number-of-cups-of-flour-to-the-72081.html
papayaya-a-popular-soft-drink-contains-only-four-ingredien-135672.html
a-dessert-recipe-calls-for-50-melted-chocolate-and-50-rasp-158248.html
john-needs-to-mix-a-solution-in-the-following-ratio-1-part-144937.html
miguel-is-mixing-up-a-salad-dressing-regardless-of-the-109740.html

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Malik's recipe for 4 servings of a certain dish requires 3/2   [#permalink] 29 Apr 2014, 06:53