Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 10:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Mamta's Query - PhD in Marketing

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Mamta's Query - PhD in Marketing [#permalink] New post 16 May 2004, 22:28
Mamta wrote:
Hello Every One ! I am interested in doing my Ph.D. in Marketing from the US. I am M.Phil ( Eco.) and MBA but from a not so well known institute. I have almost 10 years of work experience , mostly in academics. Any suggestions as to where I should apply? I think I will get 700+ in GMAT.

Hi Mamta

Welcome to GMATClub. Admissions to PhD Programs are quite competitive and rest on multiple factors. Your experience seems quite extensive, perhaps it may help us discuss your issues further if you can give a broad outline of the kind of work that you have done. Also,

1. How are your GPA/ undergrad stats ? Where have you done MBA from ? MBA usually is not considered a necessary point by PhD Adcomms, but it may help you during the PhD program.
2. Where are you currently based ? India or US ?
3. What is it that you wish to do post PhD ?

Also GMAT scores for Internationals are generally higher than those from the host country so use this site for boosting up your score. Aim for the moon - aka 800, you will end up with something like 750, if you have the ability.

Now to the places that you can apply to , the following Univs have a very good Marketing program and you can consider them among others. I would also suggest looking at European Schools (London Business School, INSEAD) to expand your school selection. Remember, this is just a pick, there is NO defined ranking of PhD programs. Also Go to the b-schools' websites and read up on what the profs do research on to see where you match. Make sure that the schools have the centers and facilities to help with your research. Also make sure the environment is there that you'd like. This includes the size of the student body, the environment of the city, etc.

Good Schools for Marketing (This is NOT a ranking !) -
Wharton, Harvard, Stanford, NYU (Stern), INSEAD, Univ of Texas -Austin, Michigan, Kellog.

I have also requested one of my friends who has been selected at a Top tier PhD programs in Marketing to respond to your post.

Best of Luck !
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 18 May 2004, 06:51
thanks a lot for your encouraging reply.First I will answer your questions:-
I have done BCom (67%) in 1987,MA economics (78%) 1989,MPhil (75%)1990 and then my MBA (72%)1995 gold medal in the last three.Then worked for a very short period in mumbai handling ICDs of Binani Metals.Had to come back to jabalpur and since then I am teaching in the "university teaching department" and" College of materials management" as visiting faculty.Apart from this We (promothesh and I ) have floated a college for BBA and also coach for MBA entrance .
I have very sound concepts when it comes to economics and marketing.
WHY PHd.? as you asked is a difficult question to answer.I think this should have followed much earlier but.... may be it's because of selfactualisation need.
but this is what I want to do and I am comfortable in everything except maths on which i am working hard.
I am banking a lot on your time to time guidance and support.
Thanks.
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 May 2004, 09:14
Hi Mamta,

Your work ex (and that of Promothesh) is quite extensive. I am clear that a PhD program in marketing or business economics is a goal which you can aim for and achieve.

Since your background is quite different from usual Indian applicants to PhD Programs (mostly Engineers or graduates from IIM's), you will need to prepare very well for your application. I would suggest the following route. Keep posting, I and others will keep replying, do not feel shy or awkward or formal - at all. This Club is for you.

1. Focus on admission in Fall 2005. The applications are due in December 2004 /January 2005 and later for most programs.
2. You have SIX months to
- Prepare for GMAT and Toefl
- Discuss with each other and set your own goals
- Read (marketing management journal and other journals) to find areas of research that interest you
- Research School web sites and correspond with professors and current PhD students on email

3. Make sure that you focus and choose who are the people who will write recommendation letters for you. Could be your ex-faculty, but prefer some people from recent past who could certify or comment favorably upon your potential to do research.

4. Keep in mind that age factor is running against both of you. I am probably older than you but I faced an uphill battle with PhD adcomms. PhD adcomms - in general - prefer younger candidates. The idea being that younger PhD's produce more and better research (their idea - not mine :arh .

5. Develop options. Have you thought about FP from IIM's ? While it depends on individuals, this is a viable option for a very good academic career in India. However, it probably is not at par with PhD from a tier I university. I am not so sure about comparison with Tier II . Any which way, you need to do a value analysis yourself.

Write back with more questions or if there is any specific issue you want me to comment on.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 20 May 2004, 17:38
dear moderators
please give me more information regarding this

International Research Association and Prometric
$1,750,000 Ph.D. Scholarship Program for
Ph.Ds and Ph.D. Students
should we take this test?
mamta &promothesh
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 May 2004, 19:06
I have no idea regarding this, however on Thomson site, this seems to be some kind of additional certification scheme for FINANCE professionals. How is it perceived by employers and what benefit one gets monetarily is not clear to me.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2004, 05:58
I have something different to ask now.
1.how do we start communicating with professors ie should we be direct or suggestive?
2. are there some other short term courses available like the one year diplomas we have in India.
mamta
  [#permalink] 08 Jun 2004, 05:58