Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Aug 2016, 19:17
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Management Consulting Recruiting

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Nov 2006
Posts: 469
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Management Consulting Recruiting [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2008, 07:48
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi all,

There's some good information for banking in the stickies. Just wondering what the process is for consulting, especially the top firms? Can someone who has gone through the process tell us more?

Thanks.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Joined: 05 Apr 2006
Posts: 5926
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 305

Kudos [?]: 1969 [0], given: 7

Premium Member
Re: Management Consulting Recruiting [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2008, 13:27
Sure, what do you want to know?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Nov 2006
Posts: 469
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Management Consulting Recruiting [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2008, 21:34
oh you know like pelihu's guide to recruiting for ibanks, in the stickies...long lengthy detailed account of exactly what happens step by step.

Experience from any school would be great, but I am also curious to see what the difference is between the process for M7 school vs a Top 15 school (which I will be attending). I supposed there are less events and less interview spots for Top 15?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 19 Nov 2006
Posts: 256
Location: Washington, DC
Schools: Ross 2010
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 1

Re: Management Consulting Recruiting [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2008, 06:32
If you have any recommendations on preparing for case interviews that would be great too. Appreciate your insights.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Joined: 05 Apr 2006
Posts: 5926
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 305

Kudos [?]: 1969 [0], given: 7

Premium Member
Re: Management Consulting Recruiting [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2008, 17:20
I'll try to write something up in the next few days.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Nov 2006
Posts: 469
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Management Consulting Recruiting [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2008, 03:29
thanks rhyme. always helpful.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 13 Mar 2008
Posts: 85
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Re: Management Consulting Recruiting [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2008, 16:25
rhyme wrote:
I'll try to write something up in the next few days.


Thanks in advance.
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 24 Sep 2006
Posts: 1359
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 197 [0], given: 0

Re: Management Consulting Recruiting [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2008, 22:12
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I trust rhyme will write a more useful post with actual hints, but for easy reference the process (in chronological order) works as follows:

1) The consulting firms that recruit on campus begin the marketing (aka "stalking") as soon as the school allows them to. At some schools, this means day 1 while at others it means after the blackout period.

2) Marketing takes many forms, such as:
- They send you a binder with info on their firm and a letter listing your classmates which use to work at the firm, urging you to contact them.
- They fund cocktails or other gatherings through these students to promote interactions.
- They send both general and specific e-mails based on the clubs you joined or your career preferences as stated in the resume book, urging you to apply and/or contact their partners (or alumni from your school) at office XYZ.
- They organize conference calls with students and current employees.
- They organize lots of cocktails for you to meet people from the different offices. These cocktails are typically invite only, although if you keep in touch with classmates from each firm (and office), chances are you'll get invited to most.

(All the above- and much more- takes place before the application deadline)

3) Once you apply (typically through their website), and assuming they like your resume, they'll invite you to interview. Note that to apply you typically need to choose a specific office.

4) You go for first round interview. These almost always involve 1 or 2 cases and some other questions (why consulting, why firm XYZ, etc.). Some firms invite a lot of people to 1st round interviews and get really selective after that. Other firms are more selective in their 1st round invitations.

5) If you make it to the next round, you'll typically need to interview with a very senior person at the office where you will work.

6) If they like you, they make you an offer with a specific deadline.

L.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 01 Dec 2007
Posts: 198
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Management Consulting Recruiting [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2008, 23:38
And how does gmat/gpa fit in with qualifying for the closed list in the above chronology of events?
Any thing/s one can do to boost their chances of making it to the closed list?
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 983
Location: Hong Kong
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 134 [0], given: 10

Re: Management Consulting Recruiting [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2008, 16:24
kk.iyer wrote:
And how does gmat/gpa fit in with qualifying for the closed list in the above chronology of events?
Any thing/s one can do to boost their chances of making it to the closed list?


Speaking with alumni from my school.
They said to me only approx 10% of people who applied to consulting where asked for their GMAT score!!!
There's a current alumni who is at a big4 consultancy with a GMAT of 650.

Basic premise is that a higher GMAT/GPA may make it easier to open some interview doors, but it's not a showstopper if you don't have high scores.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Joined: 05 Apr 2006
Posts: 5926
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 305

Kudos [?]: 1969 [0], given: 7

Premium Member
Re: Management Consulting Recruiting [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2008, 18:14
Will try to write up post tomorrow. Kind of buried at the moment with midterms.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Joined: 05 Apr 2006
Posts: 5926
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 305

Kudos [?]: 1969 [0], given: 7

Premium Member
Re: Management Consulting Recruiting [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2008, 07:49
Posted the beginning here: 108-p462858?t=63411#p462858
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 07 Aug 2006
Posts: 328
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

Re: Management Consulting Recruiting [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2008, 23:28
rhyme, could you give an overview of strengths and weaknesses of the top MC companies, namely: McKinsey, BCG, Bain, ATKearney, Booz Allen Hamilton from the point of view of the student who gained lots of info about those companies beyond the one offered by Vault :) ?

Is the compensation equal at all the top companies and if it's different, how big is the margin?

What is the required language proficiency for working at international offices?

I'm interested in the supply chain, international manufacturing placement, operations, optimization of business processes. Industries of interest - automotive and high-tech, they are getting tied with each other nowadays. For the present moment I feel that the closest companies to my goals are McKinsey and ATKearney, locations - Detroit and Cleveland (?), Canada/Toronto, Moscow, Milan (have to think about this one). What do you think about the choices?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 May 2010
Posts: 6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Management Consulting Recruiting [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2013, 01:39
Rhyme, thanks for all the information. Would you be able to comment on the geographical mobility that the big 3 will give their consultants... for example, I want to go to Hong Kong and I am a Mckinsey consultant in the US. Do I need to have a good reason for this or is it quite flexible?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Jul 2013
Posts: 33
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Management Consulting Recruiting [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2016, 13:40
Hi, Do you go through the maths test, if you apply via b-school?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Jul 2013
Posts: 33
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Management Consulting Recruiting [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2016, 13:41
Also, can anyone post a good list of resources to prepare for case interview?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Dec 2015
Posts: 20
Location: United States
Schools: Kellogg School of Management - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Management Consulting Recruiting [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2016, 02:21
aceman626 wrote:
Hi all,

There's some good information for banking in the stickies. Just wondering what the process is for consulting, especially the top firms? Can someone who has gone through the process tell us more?

Thanks.


Usually the top consulting firms will come to campus during the fall quarter. All consulting internship first round interviews take place in a 1-2 week window. Most likely the first round will consist of two cases, one with an associate level and another with a senior associate or principal level. The latter round(s) depend on company, but most likely will consist of 2-3 more cases, often with principal and partner level interviewers.

The latter round(s) will focus more on fit, as they already know that by passing the first round, you can do cases.

Hope this helps!
_________________

Check out my new e-book on maximizing the business school experience. On Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D8BQTC0?ref_=pe_2427780_160035660

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Dec 2015
Posts: 20
Location: United States
Schools: Kellogg School of Management - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Management Consulting Recruiting [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2016, 02:28
mjt wrote:
Also, can anyone post a good list of resources to prepare for case interview?


This is the place I recommend for people who want to make initial preparations for case interviews: http://www.consultingcase101.com

They charge a yearly fee for access but it is worth it in my opinion, as these are real case questions given in past interviews. The benefit of this site is the follows:
1) It gives you a taste of what real questions given by interviewers at different companies look like (you can sort by company name)
2) It gives you good material to practice framing up the problem-solution (in other words, practice building frameworks naturally so that you don't sound overly mechanical come interview time).

Then one month before case interviews start, find a bunch of classmates, alumni, or 2nd years to practice one-on-one mock cases with.

I still practice using cases from this website from time to time, as an exercise to sharpen the mind and keep up with ability to quickly frame up initial approaches towards solving business problems :)
_________________

Check out my new e-book on maximizing the business school experience. On Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D8BQTC0?ref_=pe_2427780_160035660

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Jul 2013
Posts: 33
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Management Consulting Recruiting [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2016, 08:51
pinecrest515 wrote:
mjt wrote:
Also, can anyone post a good list of resources to prepare for case interview?


This is the place I recommend for people who want to make initial preparations for case interviews: http://www.consultingcase101.com

They charge a yearly fee for access but it is worth it in my opinion, as these are real case questions given in past interviews. The benefit of this site is the follows:
1) It gives you a taste of what real questions given by interviewers at different companies look like (you can sort by company name)
2) It gives you good material to practice framing up the problem-solution (in other words, practice building frameworks naturally so that you don't sound overly mechanical come interview time).

Then one month before case interviews start, find a bunch of classmates, alumni, or 2nd years to practice one-on-one mock cases with.

I still practice using cases from this website from time to time, as an exercise to sharpen the mind and keep up with ability to quickly frame up initial approaches towards solving business problems :)


Many thanks for your reply. How much industry knowledge does a firm expect you to have in the case interview? E.g. if I am doing a case interview on automotive industry, will they expect me to have the general industry knowledge?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Dec 2015
Posts: 20
Location: United States
Schools: Kellogg School of Management - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Management Consulting Recruiting [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2016, 09:03
mjt wrote:
pinecrest515 wrote:
mjt wrote:
Also, can anyone post a good list of resources to prepare for case interview?


This is the place I recommend for people who want to make initial preparations for case interviews: http://www.consultingcase101.com

They charge a yearly fee for access but it is worth it in my opinion, as these are real case questions given in past interviews. The benefit of this site is the follows:
1) It gives you a taste of what real questions given by interviewers at different companies look like (you can sort by company name)
2) It gives you good material to practice framing up the problem-solution (in other words, practice building frameworks naturally so that you don't sound overly mechanical come interview time).

Then one month before case interviews start, find a bunch of classmates, alumni, or 2nd years to practice one-on-one mock cases with.

I still practice using cases from this website from time to time, as an exercise to sharpen the mind and keep up with ability to quickly frame up initial approaches towards solving business problems :)


Many thanks for your reply. How much industry knowledge does a firm expect you to have in the case interview? E.g. if I am doing a case interview on automotive industry, will they expect me to have the general industry knowledge?


To answer the question, it depends. Generally if you are interviewing for McKinsey, Bain, BCG, Strategy&, Deloitte, Accenture, etc, then technically they do not expect you to be an expert in the industry related to the case. Part of the case exercise is to be given some parameters in any industry, and be able to think through a structured framework on how to answer the case. That said, there are a set of industry primers that will help you if you know them. Each business school has a consulting club that will help you prepare for consulting cases as well as industry primers.

If you are interviewing for more boutique, specialized consulting, then industry knowledge helps. One example would be ZS (pharma and sales).
_________________

Check out my new e-book on maximizing the business school experience. On Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D8BQTC0?ref_=pe_2427780_160035660

Re: Management Consulting Recruiting   [#permalink] 12 Apr 2016, 09:03

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 23 posts ] 

    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
For current students - consulting recruiting ftw2011 0 17 Apr 2012, 14:32
Recruitment Stats jb88 0 16 Sep 2010, 08:47
Workex requirements for management consulting ezekiel2517 0 10 Feb 2010, 06:43
Investment Management - Do companies recruit on campus? topher 3 16 Jul 2009, 13:13
recruiting events - what are they like? isa 13 17 Feb 2008, 13:50
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Management Consulting Recruiting

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.