Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 15:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Manhattan GMAT 4th Edition vs 5th Edition

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Expert Post
14 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2326

Kudos [?]: 9471 [14] , given: 3703

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Manhattan GMAT 4th Edition vs 5th Edition [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2012, 21:16
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post

Manhattan GMAT 4th Edition vs MGMAT 5th Edition

I have spent quite a bit of time analyzing the updates and differences in the 5th edition of the MGMAT Guides and putting together the spreadsheet attached below. Here are the highlights:

• The quant has largely remained the same in terms of material. A number of topics have been shuffled and a number has been removed (the easiest topics that can be found in the MGMAT Math Foundations, which are not included with these guides, have been removed a reduction of about 100 pages)

• The most unpleasant edit is that the number of exercises in the 5th edition of the Quant books is only half of what it used to be in the 4th edition - 342 vs 622!

• The books are not better organized and have much fewer "strange" names and concepts such as "Word Translations" has been replaced by "Word Problems" and a lot of the terminology that instructors created for fun has been removed to make the books more professional. The layout has improved - that was my biggest gripe with the MGMAT Books, the quirky layout that was hard for a visual person to grasp content (pages were quite crowded)

• The set now comes with 2 more books: Integrated Reasoning (IR) book and also GMAT Roadmap (Book 0) - a great book that i recommend to everyone; it contains wisdom related to taking the test, studying, and everything that does not really fit into the other 9 books.

• The only book that has been really revised is the MGMAT CR - it needed it as it was a second to the Powerscore CR. Now it is a much beefier book (keep your eyes open for a detailed analysis and comparison of this book).

• Most other books have remained largely the same. Some of the page count increases are due to a new layout that is a bit more spread out.

Attachment:
MGMAT 5th Edition Book Analysis.xlsx [23.03 KiB]
Downloaded 797 times
To download please login or register as a user

If any questions, please let me know

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Attachment:
mgmat 5 vs 4 edition.png
mgmat 5 vs 4 edition.png [ 92.93 KiB | Viewed 17908 times ]

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
5 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [5] , given: 53

Re: Manhattan GMAT 4th Edition vs 5th Edition [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2012, 11:33
This post received
KUDOS
Thanks bb for your effort.

I have carefully read through both editions of the SC book and it's not difficult to notice a slew of changes. To name a few (not a comprehensive list but just what pops out of my head):
1. Chapter 2: de-emphasize CONCISION (with a discussion on the weight of CONCISION, showing that it's just a "preference")
2. Pronoun: de-emphasize PRONOUN AMBIGUITY. This section changes a lot, even with a sentence previously considered "suspect" but now considered "correct". Delete some previous "rules" (including the notion of "too close").
3. Chapters on MODIFIERS and VERB FORMS: I notice some minor changes that better clarify the concepts or better explain the sample sentences.
4. Miscellaneous issues that I can think of: no longer treat "such as vs. like" as a hardline rule, in light of official publications.

In summary, I would say the SC book has considerable level of changes that conform to the trend of the test.

For the RC book, I think the changes are almost unnoticeable. (I acknowledge that I did not read word-by-word for both editions of the RC book as I did for the SC)
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Manhattan GMAT 4th Edition vs 5th Edition [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2012, 20:54
bb: hi there, just to summarise, i can still retain my MGMAT 4th edition books if i am thinking of taking my GMAT this year or next, with the exception of the critical reasoning book?

thanks alot in advance.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 55

Re: Manhattan GMAT 4th Edition vs 5th Edition [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2012, 21:49
Very useful post by the author!!!Thank u very much!!!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V34
GPA: 3.1
WE: Sales (Transportation)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 85

Re: Manhattan GMAT 4th Edition vs 5th Edition [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2012, 07:12
I have the 4th edition: should I get Powerscore CR instead of using the Manhattan book in the set?

Thank for your review, very clear and useful.

"The Burnout" - My Debrief

Kudos if I helped you ;)

Andy

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder

Kudos [?]: 9471 [2] , given: 3703

Re: Manhattan GMAT 4th Edition vs 5th Edition [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2012, 08:11
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
highdiving wrote:
I have the 4th edition: should I get Powerscore CR instead of using the Manhattan book in the set?

The PowerScore CR is better than the MGMAT CR 4th edition but the MGMAT 5th edition CR is better than the PowerScore CR :-)

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V34
GPA: 3.1
WE: Sales (Transportation)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 85

Re: Manhattan GMAT 4th Edition vs 5th Edition [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2012, 08:13
bb wrote:
highdiving wrote:

The PowerScore CR is better than the MGMAT CR 4th edition but the MGMAT 5th edition CR is better than the PowerScore CR :-)

MGMAT 5th CR it is, then! :-D

"The Burnout" - My Debrief

Kudos if I helped you ;)

Andy

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Manhattan GMAT 4th Edition vs 5th Edition [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2012, 09:54
bb wrote:
highdiving wrote:

Thanks BB to clarify. I was googling abt this and ur single sentence was bug relief fro me. :)
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Kudos [?]: 9471 [0], given: 3703

Re: Manhattan GMAT 4th Edition vs 5th Edition [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2012, 09:58
Expert's post
Glad I could help :-)

Good luck!

Founder of GMAT Club

Manager
Manager
WE 1: Oil and Gas - Engineering & Construction

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 48

Re: Manhattan GMAT 4th Edition vs 5th Edition [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2012, 06:39
bb wrote:
The Power Score CR is better than the MGMAT CR 4th edition but the MGMAT 5th edition CR is better than the PowerScore CR :-)

Hi BB,

I have taken GMAT before and I went through Power score CR religiously and it increased my CR accuracy a lot, Now I am re-preparing for another GMAT attempt, Do you recommend using MGMAT 5th edition as for something extra it can provide for a re-taker.
I have scored 35 in my previous GMAT attempt, and I feel CR was my curse. So I want to enhance my CR skills and take my verbal score to 40.

In my Practice CATs (MGMAT) and GMATprep I have been scoring around 33 to 40, so I know I can reach at V40 score by doing extra bit in CR.

In this scenario do you recommend I go ahead with a MGMAT CR 5th edition or shall I revise with Power Score CR, OG 12th, OG 13th and MGMAT 4th edition.

Thanks for all your valuable inputs BB.

Giving Kudos, is a great Way to Help the GC Community Kudos

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Manhattan GMAT 4th Edition vs 5th Edition [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2013, 20:14
I have the 4th edition MGMAT bundle along with the OG 12th edition + Quant Review 2nd edition + Verbal Review 2nd edition. Should I purchase the 5th edition MGMAT and OG 13th edition or should I stick with what I have and add GMAT Roadmap, Integrated Reasoning & Essay, and replace the CR book with the 5th edition? Your advice and suggestions are greatly appreciated. I will be starting my studies tomorrow beginning with a diagnostic test and going full throttle for the next 4-5 weeks (not working right now). Thanks in advance :)
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Kudos [?]: 9471 [0], given: 3703

Re: Manhattan GMAT 4th Edition vs 5th Edition [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2013, 22:39
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
zkatusian wrote:
I have the 4th edition MGMAT bundle along with the OG 12th edition + Quant Review 2nd edition + Verbal Review 2nd edition. Should I purchase the 5th edition MGMAT and OG 13th edition or should I stick with what I have and add GMAT Roadmap, Integrated Reasoning & Essay, and replace the CR book with the 5th edition? Your advice and suggestions are greatly appreciated. I will be starting my studies tomorrow beginning with a diagnostic test and going full throttle for the next 4-5 weeks (not working right now). Thanks in advance :)

It is fine and good enough, frankly.
Generations of users have used those books and succeeded, so that's not the secret sauce - it is about your perseverance, effort, and focus.

P.S. the OG 13 may be worth getting since it does have some IR practice. As to the MGMAT 5th edition, probably not as big of an issue if you already have the 4th.

Best Regards,
BB

Founder of GMAT Club

Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.77
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Re: Manhattan GMAT 4th Edition vs 5th Edition [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2014, 11:42
hi, is it necessary to buy mgmat 5th edition? i already have 4th edition.
Re: Manhattan GMAT 4th Edition vs 5th Edition   [#permalink] 22 Jun 2014, 11:42