Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 14:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Manhattan GMAT Books? Anyone comment on quality?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Manhattan GMAT Books? Anyone comment on quality? [#permalink] New post 26 May 2004, 16:39
Has ANYONE here used the Manhattan Gmat's books? They are a little pricey for a set ($150) plus access to their archives will cost $80...

I am hesitant to spend that kind of money without any feedback...but it seems I can't find any!
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2219

Kudos [?]: 8178 [0], given: 3641

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
 [#permalink] New post 26 May 2004, 16:51
Expert's post
Dude, three posts below yours is a discussion about this. Please read....

http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=5959

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 26 May 2004, 18:49
Dude, the course is a lot different than their books.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 155 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 May 2004, 19:24
If you already have a solid foundation in math (48+), you may want to buy their material to break into the 50Q area. If you are just starting to learn GMAT math, just stick with PR or Kaplan as they are cheaper and very effective to teach the basics. I understand the high cost but if you do have the means, you should seriously consider buying it. In my opinion, I would buy it.

Best Regards,

Paul

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 26 May 2004, 19:28
Thanks for the reply. Everyone seems to say their math is really good...should I just buy their math books? They sell all seven books separately for $26 or soemthing like that...

Paul, did you buy the books?>
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 May 2004, 19:35
I did not buy it yet but I can tell you that I will this summer. My advice may be biased though :)

Best Regards,

Paul

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 26 May 2004, 23:09
And why exactly are you biased? Do you know an instructor there? Have you seen their books? I can't even ascertain how many pages they are or what I'm getting for $150...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 May 2004, 04:11
Well, we all know Akhamai as a MGMAT instructor. What I meant was that you are relying on only 1 opinion and that I haven't even bought the material myself. However, it's just my personal conviction that MGMAT materials should be oustanding for fine tuning your skills.

Best Regards,

Paul

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 May 2004, 10:11
I've bought Manhatten Verbal book. It doesn't worth spending. All stuff is bacis and based on OG. About math have no idea. :roll:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 May 2004, 11:04
Boksana, thank you for your input. I really meant for the math as well. The verbal I would not buy unless they sell it as a bundle with the math section. I believe the OG verbal and LSAT verbal are more than enough for verbal. I would buy their CAT though or buy the access to their database.

Best Regards,

Paul

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 27 May 2004, 14:39
Well, $26 X 7 = $182 and they sell all 7 books together for $149...hmmm. Dunno what to do.

Also, I wouldn't buy their cat's. It has been said on this forum that their cat cd is nothing but the arco cd under their own brand name. You can find the arco cd & book for much less than $40 at amazon
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2004, 09:31
I purchased the full set of Manhattan GMAT books on the recommendation of a friend. The set consists of 5 math workbooks and 2 verbal workbooks. The workbooks each contain around 8 chapters drilling down into various topics. Each chapter has a problem set of 15 non-OG questions that reinforce what you just learned. The workbooks also include OG problem sets. It gives you a pretty good workout.

I've gone through all the math workbooks, and I am just finishing the verbal workbook on sentence correction. My experience has been quite good, particularly with the math books. As someone mentioned, the math is at the higher end of the scale. If you need to review the fundamentals, start with one of the Kaplan or PR books.

I recently took the GMAT but ended up canceling my score, and I have found that quite a few of the example problems in the workbooks are similar to the actual problems I encountered on the test. In fact, I was shocked to find one that was exactly the same.

The entire set is expensive (around $150), but I think it's worth the price. If I had used these my first go around, I wouldn't have had to cancel my score (at a price of $250). Some GMAT prep books are likely to be the cheapest part of your MBA experience.

Hope this helps!

G
  [#permalink] 05 Jun 2004, 09:31