Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Dec 2014, 22:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Manhattan GMAT Books how different are 2007 and 4th edition

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 13

Manhattan GMAT Books how different are 2007 and 4th edition [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2009, 06:05
Hello,

How different are Manhattan 2007(3rd edition) from 4th edition books. Particularly, I am interested in finding out about following books:

Number Properties GMAT Preparation Guide, 4th Edition
Equations, Inequalities, and VIC's, GMAT Preparation Guide, 4th Edition
Word Translations GMAT Preparation Guide, 4th Edition
Sentence Correction GMAT Preparation Guide, 4th Edition

I have above book's 2007(3rd) edition. Shall I buy the new edition as I believe they have introduced some advanced stuff for these books? I feel comfortable in Quant (47 - 49 level). Will I be missing some important tips if I don't buy these ones?
Shall I spend that money elsewhere e.g. GMATClub tests or Jeff Sackmann Quant stuff?

Please advise as I have few weeks left for the exam.

- getmba
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 426 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Manhattan GMAT Books how different are 2007 and 4th edition [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2009, 07:37
Hello getmba,

This topic regarding the MGMAT books is being discussed here:

manhattan-gmat-books-3rd-4th-edition-conversion-tables-91671.html

and here
manhattan-gmat-4th-edition-79546.html

As for the remaining questions, that depends on how much you need in prep.

Feel free to provide more information so we may provide more directed guidance.

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Manager
Manager

Re: Manhattan GMAT Books how different are 2007 and 4th edition [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2009, 07:49
Thanks Mohater for the link. I am shaky in Probability/Combinatorics. Rest of the Quant seems OK except for more targeted practice.
Director
Director
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 442 [0], given: 56

Re: Manhattan GMAT Books how different are 2007 and 4th edition [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2009, 09:13
I have just seen the SC book. Its same, except for the fact that 3rd edition refers to OG 11 ed questions and 4th edition refers to OG 12 edition.

ISB 2011-12 thread | Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB
All information related to Indian candidates and B-schools | Indian B-schools accepting GMAT scores
Self evaluation for Why MBA?

SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 74

Kudos [?]: 690 [0], given: 548

Reviews Badge
Re: Manhattan GMAT Books how different are 2007 and 4th edition [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2009, 11:08
getmba wrote:
Hello,

How different are Manhattan 2007(3rd edition) from 4th edition books.

Basic knowledge taught is virtually the same, regardless of the edition. People found success on GMAT using both 3rd and 4th editions in the past.

What you should know is that regardless of which edition you use to study for GMAT, you should use MGMAT guides as a "starter" guides.

All the practice should be done using Official Guide problems. MGMAT guides do a fine job breaking down the fundamentals, but it's too easy for test takers aiming for 650 and above.
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 426 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Manhattan GMAT Books how different are 2007 and 4th edition [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2009, 11:56
getmba wrote:
Thanks Mohater for the link. I am shaky in Probability/Combinatorics. Rest of the Quant seems OK except for more targeted practice.

Make sure you understand the rules/concepts. Simply doing practice problems w/o a solid grounding in the concepts doesn't usually yield solid results.

bigoyal wrote:
I have just seen the SC book. Its same, except for the fact that 3rd edition refers to OG 11 ed questions and 4th edition refers to OG 12 edition.

Actually, the SC book is beefed up, with many more pages of content.

The 4th ed has the same material as the 3rd ed, and more.

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Manager
Manager

Re: Manhattan GMAT Books how different are 2007 and 4th edition [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2009, 13:45
Thanks guys for your valuable input!!
I will go ahead with SC 4th edition and keep 3rd edition books for Quant as I don't see much value in putting more money in Quant ones.
Re: Manhattan GMAT Books how different are 2007 and 4th edition   [#permalink] 21 Aug 2009, 13:45