Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 10 Jul 2014, 18:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Manhattan GMAT CAT Tests

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 13

GMAT ToolKit User
Manhattan GMAT CAT Tests [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2010, 11:07
Hello Everyone,

Wanted to get everyone's opinion. I've heard the Manhattan GMAT CAT test's are a bit harder than the real thing, is this true? I'm doing a retake of the GMAT as I bombed the first shot (didn't respect my opponent enough [GMAT], among other things).

So test #1
Overall: 530
Q 28
V 35

Now that I got that embarrassing statistic out of the way :| I want to note that I've been away from academia for a little while (7yrs) and needed to brush up on Quant. Although I was doing MUCH better on my Kaplan practice quizzes and attribute the low score on test #1 to nerves and all the classical mistakes.

So I have two reasons why I ask about the difficulty of the MGMAT CAT and Quizzes as compared to the real thing;

REASON #1;
I'm taking an MGMAT course (9 session) and before starting you have to do a math diagnostic quiz to see if you need supplemental Quant studies, I scored 90% (18 out of 20), it wasn't luck as all of my solutions matched almost exactly to the MGMAT solutions. This was a timed quiz with exactly 2min allocated per problem (20 Q's in 40min), so just like the real thing. According to this quiz I don't need any supplemental Math studies outside the scheduled 9 session course, although my first GMAT experience would say otherwise (Q 28).

REASON #2;
The second exersise to prep for the 9 session course is to take a full CAT exam to see where you are (for benchmarking purposes, pretty standard practice). Well, I took it last night and although I skipped the AWA to get straight to Quant and Verbal problems, I did take the test right after a full day of work (and I mean FULL), so there was some mental exhaustion. I didn't do great but noticed a sizeable jump overall (except verbal). Overall: 590 Q37 V34. Although I'm far from pleased by this performance my Quant score jumped substantially, if I could realize an equal jump in my Quant score during the 9 week session (9pts -> 46) while shoring up Verbal I'd be extremely pleased.

Just wanted to get some opinions on this, everything I did was timed, quiz and CAT test. I've done some studying with MGMAT materials since my first GMAT but nothing overly intense.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!!!

"Effort only fully releases its reward after a person refuses to quit." - Napoleon Hill

If my post helped you in any way please give KUDOS!

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 204 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: Manhattan GMAT CAT Tests [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2010, 06:43
hi cgl7780, I know it's a bit late, but I wanted to get back to you on this one.

The MGMAT's CAT is a known to be harder, especially the quant section. Some of the questions require you to do a 5- or 6-step process, which is impossible to do on the real GMAT under 2 minutes. You are starting with a kick-butt verbal score, keep it up! If I were you, I'd focus heavily on the quant section. With a Q25, even on the MGMAT, means to anyone that you don't have your foundation down just yet. I'd start looking over some of the fundamentals, such as algebra, exponents, PEMDAS, fraction, number properties, etc, and once the initial quant preparation is finished, you can tackle the harder questions. I wouldn't even worry about combination/permutation at this point as you probably have seen on the MGMAT's CAT.

Best of luck!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Manhattan GMAT CAT Tests [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2010, 09:28
cgl7780 wrote:
Hello Everyone,

Wanted to get everyone's opinion. I've heard the Manhattan GMAT CAT test's are a bit harder than the real thing, is this true? I'm doing a retake of the GMAT as I bombed the first shot (didn't respect my opponent enough [GMAT], among other things).

So test #1
Overall: 530
Q 28
V 35

Now that I got that embarrassing statistic out of the way :| I want to note that I've been away from academia for a little while (7yrs) and needed to brush up on Quant. Although I was doing MUCH better on my Kaplan practice quizzes and attribute the low score on test #1 to nerves and all the classical mistakes.

So I have two reasons why I ask about the difficulty of the MGMAT CAT and Quizzes as compared to the real thing;

REASON #1;
I'm taking an MGMAT course (9 session) and before starting you have to do a math diagnostic quiz to see if you need supplemental Quant studies, I scored 90% (18 out of 20), it wasn't luck as all of my solutions matched almost exactly to the MGMAT solutions. This was a timed quiz with exactly 2min allocated per problem (20 Q's in 40min), so just like the real thing. According to this quiz I don't need any supplemental Math studies outside the scheduled 9 session course, although my first GMAT experience would say otherwise (Q 28).

REASON #2;
The second exersise to prep for the 9 session course is to take a full CAT exam to see where you are (for benchmarking purposes, pretty standard practice). Well, I took it last night and although I skipped the AWA to get straight to Quant and Verbal problems, I did take the test right after a full day of work (and I mean FULL), so there was some mental exhaustion. I didn't do great but noticed a sizeable jump overall (except verbal). Overall: 590 Q37 V34. Although I'm far from pleased by this performance my Quant score jumped substantially, if I could realize an equal jump in my Quant score during the 9 week session (9pts -> 46) while shoring up Verbal I'd be extremely pleased.

Just wanted to get some opinions on this, everything I did was timed, quiz and CAT test. I've done some studying with MGMAT materials since my first GMAT but nothing overly intense.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!!!

May be u are true. But i feel, GMAT Prep is more harder than Manhatten test. In manhatten gmat i always score more than 45 in math, but in gmat prep i am not scoring more than 42......
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 13

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Manhattan GMAT CAT Tests [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2010, 09:02
Thanks for the replies guys, no problem on late response. I truly feel like my nerves got to me on the actual GMAT, resulting in a Q28. I do have the fundamentals down pretty well because I feel like I understand 95% of the quant material I am studying in the MGMAT books (5% allowed for getting stumped on sly "tricks").

So really the second test I took was MGMAT's CAT test in which I got a Q37, so the disparity there was Q28 -> Q37 with little to no study inbetween. This is what prompted me to ask if the MGMAT CAT tests were actually easier. So based on this information do you still think I need to really focus on the fundamentals? I've always enjoyed math, but my test anxiety is probably the bigger issue here. Any suggestions for that?

Thanks so much!

"Effort only fully releases its reward after a person refuses to quit." - Napoleon Hill

If my post helped you in any way please give KUDOS!

Re: Manhattan GMAT CAT Tests   [#permalink] 09 Jul 2010, 09:02