Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 00:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Manhattan GMAT CAT vs GMAT PREP

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 2

Manhattan GMAT CAT vs GMAT PREP [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2009, 20:14
Hi Guys,

I just took my first MGMAT CAT (the free version) and scored 710 (Q48 V39). I'm considering buying the whole set of MGMAT CATs but first wanted your expert opinion on some concerns:
-Verbal: I had 16 mistakes but still managed a scaled score of 39. How is this possible? With GMAT prep, I usually needed to get a maximum of 6 incorrect nos. to get a 39-40 scaled score. So now I'm not sure if MGMAT is a close predictor of actual GMAT score since the scoring method seems to be very different from GMAT prep.
-Quant: The difficulty level was way high! It seems even more difficult than GMAT club tests (am I right?). I also got 15 incorrect answers but managed a 48 scaled score. In GMAT prep I usually needed a maximum of 12 incorrect answers to get to a 48 level. This is a closer estimate though vs the verbal one. As for the difficulty level in quant, is this a realistic estimate of actual GMAT? The problems are quite lengthy I had to pause a few times.

Hope to get your advice guys! I'm deliberating whether to invest $39 for the whole CAT set. Unfortunately the books are not available in my country so I can't have free access by purchasing the books.
Is there an e-book option for Manhattan books?

Thanks! :)
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 20

Re: Manhattan GMAT CAT vs GMAT PREP [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2009, 20:59
I can't help you except to say that it matters where you got them wrong. If you got 16 wrong and all 16 from like 15 on, you may end up with a very good score. I'm not expert at this but I had a similar "problem". I got 12 wrong in verbal on one of my CATs with Kaplan. However, I got the first 11 in a row right. I ended up with a 45 and 98th percentile on that test. I, was however convinced that something was wrong.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2157

Kudos [?]: 7574 [0], given: 3623

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Manhattan GMAT CAT vs GMAT PREP [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2009, 22:08
Expert's post
See this discussion about Manhattan GMAT vs real GMAT score: are-mgmat-practice-exams-a-good-predictor-of-gmat-score-82514.html

As to the e-book version, MGMAT guides are not officially available.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Manhattan GMAT CAT vs GMAT PREP   [#permalink] 12 Sep 2009, 22:08