Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 06:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Manhattan GMAT CATs -- HUH?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Manhattan GMAT CATs -- HUH? [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2007, 16:02
Hi,

I am new to this forum but have very much enjoyed reading them over the past few weeks. I recently completed a Princeton Review course, took the GMAT for the first time, and am unhappy with my result. Back to the drawing board and I am hitting the books once again.

Looking for new material (and tougher material, as I found the actual test MUCH harder than the PR tests), I purchased five Manhattan GMAT CATs and just completed my first one. I am somewhat baffeled and am looking for some comments on the accuracy of these exams.

I scored a 690 (46 Quant, 38 Verbal). However, I am not sure why. Look at this break down:

Quant:
19 correct, 18 wrong
Verbal:
27 correct, 14 wrong

How can this be? How accurate are the Manhattan GMAT CATs? Was my good score (yes, I consider it good and it is my target) simply a result of only dealing with questions in the 700-800 range?

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross 2010
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Somewhat Accurate [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2007, 09:50
In my case the overall score of MGMAT cats were accurate, but the breakdown was not. On both MGMAT and GMAC practice cats I scored lower on verbal and higher on math than the real thing by several points. Maybe it's just me, who knows. However, the overall scores on both were on target.

Generally people say that the math on manhattan is a lot harder than the real thing, but the scoring is more generous so it's kind of equal in the end. I know they recently recallibrated the verbal scoring so it's now lower than it used to be.

The bottom line is use the tests for practice nothing will be a perfect indicator of how you will do.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2007, 19:13
Had the same question. I guess it may have to do with the # of questions you get right in the beginning. The scoring curve depends a lot on the initial questions rather than how many you get right overall.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2007, 10:55
I just took 2 MGMAT CATs and agree. I think it also depends on how many difficult questions you got right vs. wrong.
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2007, 17:33
Thanks for the info. I am taking a MGMAT Cat this weekend. If you really want a quant brainbuster, try the Gmat club challenges.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2007, 16:31
Hi again:

Okay, an update. I took my second Manhattan GMAT CAT this weekend and did well:

720 (44 Quant, 45 Verbal)

Here is the breakdown:

Quant - 21 Correct, 16 Wrong
Verbal - 29 Correct, 12 Wrong

I am obviously very pleased and encouraged by this result, but am a bit worried that something fishy is going on. I am re-taking the test in a few weeks and am worried about false confidence.

Is there anyone else who can chime in on how MGMAT CAT Scores compare with the real thing?

Thanks in advance.
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2007, 16:54
Your total scores seem to be off by 10. I don't know if the test is wrong or my calculator from 800Score.com

http://www.800score.com/score2.php
  [#permalink] 01 Jul 2007, 16:54