Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 17:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Manhattan GMAT - HUGE WASTE OF MONEY

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Manhattan GMAT - HUGE WASTE OF MONEY [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2005, 13:02
i took the Manhattan GMAT class recently and took the GMAT twice. Both 620 score. The class is worthless. Several people who spend 1000 dollars to take the class said the same.

Their materials are mediocre as well. And the CAT test they use from Cambridge is the worst CAT test ever with tons of errors.

Lots of people liked Kaplan and said they improved. I should have done the same.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
CEO
CEO
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 435 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2005, 14:40
Just curious- did any students find the class useful?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2005, 14:49
Although I didn't take the MGMAT class, I wouldn't say that their materials were all useless.
I at least found the MGMAT SC guide quite useful.
Rumor has it that all Kaplan, Princeton and other GMAT prep companies are helping their participants to shoot for 500-650 score range. If you wish to get into the 700+club, I think you'll have to do more than what you're currently prepared for.

Just my 2 cents, no offense!
Best of luck :) !
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 139 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2005, 17:15
Honestly speaking, Kaplan wasn`t too good either. Read my thread "mortified by a low score" and you will understand what I mean. I think the test prep companies have become lazy and a little antiquated these days, relying on old retired questions and simple methodologies for the 20th century GMAT. The test has evolved, especially the quantitative section, (that`s why they use experimental questions) and prep companies just haven`t kept pace. For example, when I asked my Kaplan instructor (who incidentally had never taken an official GMAT) about advanced permutation/combination problems, he said "don`t worry, it`s not on the test." I am now seriously considering asking for my money back.

Probably best just to study on your own through questions on this forum.
CEO
CEO

[#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2005, 17:43
I know I've said this before but it is hard to believe how bad the pay is for many of the major test prep companies. There is little wonder why the results are underwhelming . . .
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2005, 09:53
I found their SC guide to be very helpful. The other guides and the class itself, however, were average. Definitely not worth the $1000. I'd say to buy the SC guide and study on your own and / or find another resource for the other sections.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Its What You Put In [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2005, 19:03
I previously took the gmat and scored a 640, currently I'm taking Manhattan GMAT in order to increase my score and I'm very happy.

I view the study class as a type of personal trainer, and as with a personal trainer if you don't have a positive "win-win" attitude and come ready to rock you will not do well. This is not to say the original poster didn't put in enough effort but I have noticed that many students in class treat the gmat as a joke. They are the late commers, those who never do their homework and those who skip class. Personally I've benefited a great deal from manhattan gmat and am glad I signed up (I also really l like the no-nonsense instructor).

In conclusion, I would recommend manhattan gmat but like anything else it is a tool and requires a lot of work on your part. If you are looking for a structured study plan with help, encouragement and resources check out manhattan gmat. If you are expecting a short cut or to learn everything from showing up in class then you won't benefit.

Napoleon : Victory belongs to the most persevering!!!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2005, 17:12
Hey guys, I was thinking about applying for the manhattan gmat class and am wondering wich cities you have taken the class in? Also, anyone know if the classes in the Los Angeles area are any good?
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 139 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2005, 07:00
I wouldn`t exactly consider this a bad hourly wage...

http://www.vault.com/job/$100_hr_Part-T ... 56648.html
CEO
CEO

[#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2005, 16:02
As in any line of work, the pay varies by firm and location. Note, however, that the instructor is not guaranteed any hours per week and must sign a noncompete so she cannot find clients on her own either (a pretty worthless agreement for the instructor). The starting rates that I have seen have generally been much closer to 10^1 than 10^2.

For instance, Kaplan notes that starting pay for graduate level tests (including the GMAT) in the same region is $18-24/hr and the best paid make "up to" $50/hr.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2005, 19:22
Edmond - I took the class in Irvine and it was okay. It really depends on what you put into it, you know? Let me know if you have any questions.
  [#permalink] 07 Oct 2005, 19:22