Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Oct 2014, 04:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Manhattan GMAT - Prep Strategies

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT Date: 03-05-2013
GPA: 3.79
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 18

GMAT ToolKit User
Manhattan GMAT - Prep Strategies [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2012, 06:27
I just started preparing from the GMAT using the Manhattan guide. My initial plan is to allocate 6 weeks to the math section, 6 for CR and then a few additional weeks for the review. However, I have a dilemma on how to go over the math materials.

For instance, Manhattan has 5 math books, and each book lists problems from the OG that are related to that particular book. Do you guys think I should go over all 5 books first and then look at the problems in the OG, or should I complete one book, then work on the related problems, and then move on to the next book....

I am looking forward for some valuable advice.

Thanks
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools: XLRI (A)
GMAT 1: 570 Q49 V19
GMAT 2: 700 Q51 V31
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 58

Kudos [?]: 250 [0], given: 44

Premium Member
Re: Manhattan GMAT - Prep Strategies [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2012, 06:36
Hi,

I have not done Manhattan books but if I did then I would have completed one chapter and then would have done related problems from OG and also would have done problems from other sources like gmatclub and grockit!

Hope it helps!

ankit
you must believe

How to start GMAT preparations?
How to Improve Quant Score?
gmatclub topic tags
Check out my GMAT debrief
Thursdays with Ron link
Looking for a Quant tutor? Check out my post for the same!

Combined Formula Sheet :
Number Properties || Word Problems and PnC || Equations, Inequalities || Geometry

How to Solve :
Statistics || Reflection of a line || Remainder Problems

Manhattan GMAT Online Marketing Associate
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 7

Re: Manhattan GMAT - Prep Strategies [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2012, 11:49
mashableforce wrote:
Do you guys think I should go over all 5 books first and then look at the problems in the OG, or should I complete one book, then work on the related problems, and then move on to the next book....

Instead of reading through all the books and then going back to complete the OG problems, we recommend doing the In Action and OG problems after each section to test your understanding.

If you know that you don’t know the content covered in a Strategy Guide chapter, are shaky and/or rusty on the material, or feel that there must be a faster way than how you currently approach the subject, read the chapter. Create a cheat sheet for the chapter by taking notes on key points that you want to remember, but don’t yet have memorized. Then, test your learning by completing all of the In Action problems at the end of the chapter. Make sure to check your answer and review the solution after completing each problem—not after completing the whole set. There is no better way to internalize how not to do something correctly than to repeat an incorrect method fifteen times in a row!

If you know that you know the content covered in a Strategy Guide chapter, quiz yourself to prove it! Turn to the In Action problems at the end of the chapter. They are listed from easiest to hardest, so try numbers 3 and 8. If you do not get those problems right, read the chapter. If you do get those problems right, complete numbers 11–15. Make sure to check the answers after completing each problem. If you get them all right, move on to the next chapter. If you get them mostly right, skim the chapter and focus in on the pieces of information that you need to fill the holes in your knowledge.

If the Strategy Guide leaves you confused, it is likely that you have holes in the foundational knowledge on which the GMAT content is built. While reading the Strategy Guide, refer back to the appropriate chapters of the Foundations books, as needed, to fill in these gaps.

Once you test your knowledge of the concepts with the In Action problems, do the related OG problems to see how those concepts will be tested on the real GMAT. Complete OG problems in sets and time yourself (give yourself the same amount of time for each question that you would have on the GMAT) in order to better prepare yourself for test day.

Hope this helps.

Matt

Matt Mapplebeck | Manhattan GMAT Online Marketing Associate | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Re: Manhattan GMAT - Prep Strategies   [#permalink] 20 Aug 2012, 11:49