Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 10:40

Flash Sale:

The Economist GMAT Tutor - 15% Off All Courses

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Manhattan GMAT Prep - worth the outrageous price?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Manhattan GMAT Prep - worth the outrageous price? [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2005, 09:32
Has anyone gone through the private tutoring at Manhattan GMAT? I inquired about the private tutoring package and they quoted me 15-hours at $2925, 20-hours at $3800 and 25-hours at $4625.

This seems outrageous compared to Kaplan, Veritas and Princeton. Almost a 50% mark up across the board.

What's so special? Do they take the test for you? :)
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 126 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2005, 19:46
MGMAT private tutoring is a bargain compared to this guy: http://www.perfectgmat.com/ Actually MGMAT (and Veritas) has the most stringent recruiting policies and all instructors are reputed to be the best in the industry. I took a Kaplan class last summer with a noncommitted instructor who only reiterated the basics- definately a $1200 waste. As a result I scored very poorly and regret forking out the cash. In hindsight, I should have paid the extra grand and gone with MGMAT.

Otherwise, save yourself the big bucks and put the time into this forum. There are several members here who are extremely talented in either math or verbal, or both. They will gladly give you advice on problem types that you are struggling with, FOR FREE! Just be sure to contribute in some way back as well 8-)
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2005, 23:12
I have no doubt that MGMAT is solid, but not that much. And I really don't understand how they could control information that's worth 50% more than Veritas.

With that said, I've decided to stick with Veritas - since I get a $100/hr tutoring rate since I attended a weekend course. MGMAT offered $215/hr with no min., but there's NO WAY they would provide twice the benefit Veritas does. I've been very pleased with Veritas - I was just playing the market to see what else was out there.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Re: Manhattan GMAT Prep - worth the outrageous price? [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2005, 11:31
consultinghokie wrote:
Has anyone gone through the private tutoring at Manhattan GMAT? I inquired about the private tutoring package and they quoted me 15-hours at $2925, 20-hours at $3800 and 25-hours at $4625.

This seems outrageous compared to Kaplan, Veritas and Princeton. Almost a 50% mark up across the board.

What's so special? Do they take the test for you? :)

Are you located in NYC? My Tutor charges $50 for one hour and he is very good. He worked for Veritas at one point.
PM me if you want the contact info
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2005, 17:07
I'm in LA and I have a Veritas guy for $80/hr. That seems to be a good rate.

In the end, you're the one that has to learn this stuff - paying $200+/hr for a tutor is not going to ensure at 700+ score.

I think Veritas is a great company and the tutors are very easy to work with.
Manager
Manager

Let me settle the issue [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2005, 12:15
I've gone through every tutoring route and veritas is good but there books are created from a mixture of OG/LSAT questions.

The call in phone no. they give you is a little bit of a joke, because you sometimes get busy signals and the person on the other end is very inpersonal.

MGMAT do have the best tutors in the industry, but really what does that amount to. You'll go through there study guides and then do the assigned OG problems. You'll have to get a hold of some quality CATs, because there stink,

Bottom line is you could pay good money but not all tutors are created equally.

If anyone has any questions about either of these companies services, please feel free to contact me.

thx,

wiseguy
Let me settle the issue   [#permalink] 10 Dec 2005, 12:15