Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 08:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Manhattan GMAT Quant books

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT Date: 10-22-2011
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Internet and New Media)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 12

Manhattan GMAT Quant books [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2010, 02:38
Hi all,

I recently bought the Manhattan GMAT set of 8 prep booklets.

I've almost finished the Number Properties booklet and I have 3 questions:

1. Is it just me or are most of the questions in the OG 12th Ed. that Manhattan Number Properties refers you to quite hard?
2. I failed half the practice questions in the number properties book the first time around, then I looked at the answers to find out why and understand the concepts I was weak on, and then I took the questions again and scored better. Is this a good strategy?
3. Some of the topics covered in their practice questions are quite obscure and not really covered in any detail in their material - has anyone else found this to be true?

Thanks!
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
2 KUDOS received
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Followers: 329

Kudos [?]: 1336 [2] , given: 194

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Manhattan GMAT Quant books [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2010, 04:56
This post received
KUDOS
Hey n2739178

1. I don't know if that's the case, but the OG12 has been known to be quite representative of the actual GMAT, so depending on what GMAT decides to be your score range, you may or may not receive such hard questions.

2. I think it's a good strategy as long as it doesn't get to a point where you're getting the answers right by memory rather than logic. Looking up the concepts you got wrong initially and finding out why you got them wrong is a definitely good strategy to follow! And maybe you can consider using an error log. There are many that have been posted on this forum. Just search for it

3. I've only looked through the Number Properties book but I think that it's a pretty good guide as far as GMAT goes, since most people who prepared for Quant through MGMAT are generally satisfied with the outcome.

Hope this helps!
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 53

Kudos [?]: 374 [1] , given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Manhattan GMAT Quant books [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2010, 06:57
This post received
KUDOS
See bolded responses below.

n2739178 wrote:
Hi all,

I recently bought the Manhattan GMAT set of 8 prep booklets.

I've almost finished the Number Properties booklet and I have 3 questions:

1. Is it just me or are most of the questions in the OG 12th Ed. that Manhattan Number Properties refers you to quite hard?
OG is in ascending difficulty order (meaning later problems are harder than earlier problems). MGMAT will tend to stick to 600+ level difficulty questions. If you do lower numbered problems on your own, you will find these problems easier.

2. I failed half the practice questions in the number properties book the first time around, then I looked at the answers to find out why and understand the concepts I was weak on, and then I took the questions again and scored better. Is this a good strategy?
If you do NOT remember when you redo the question, you will benefit. If you're simply rehashing from memory, you will not benefit. This is the point of an error log. To track deficiencies and work to improve them. Many people think he/she is improving when redoing problem done incorrectly, but really the person is doing the problem from memory and not actually benefiting from understanding WHY he/she was unable to solve it on the first try.

3. Some of the topics covered in their practice questions are quite obscure and not really covered in any detail in their material - has anyone else found this to be true?
If it is in OG, it is not obscure. The GMAC has a way of wording questions to make the question appear more difficult than it really is.

Thanks!

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manhattan GMAT Student Services Associate
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

Re: Manhattan GMAT Quant books [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2010, 07:37
Hi,

Thanks for using our books!

The previous posters have made good points. To this I would add the following:

If you're having trouble understanding some of the concepts in our Number Properties book, you may want to see if the Foundations of GMAT Math book would be helpful to you as well. You can take our free diagnostic here, to see: http://www.manhattangmat.com/foundations-math.cfm

What you're doing to study the problems is exactly what we suggest doing. Once you've done the problems, go over them again, using the concepts you learned. Then check to see if you could have solved that same problem differently using a different strategy. While you don't want to memorize problems (as previous posters have said) you do want to make sure that you can approach any problem from more than one angle, and that you really understand the content underlying each problem. That being said, you might find our Official Guide Companion to be useful to you as well: http://www.manhattangmat.com/official-g ... panion.cfm

Best,
Caitlin Clay
Student Services Associate
Manhattan GMAT

Caitlin Clay | Manhattan GMAT Student Services Associate | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT Date: 10-22-2011
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Internet and New Media)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 12

Re: Manhattan GMAT Quant books [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2010, 23:27
Great thanks to all who replied.

Yes my strategy so far has been to really understand the reasons I failed the questions, make a note of the questions I failed in an error log and the exact reason I failed them, and then when my memory of the question becomes more fuzzy after a week or so then I will go back and do the failed questions again after brushing up on my weaker areas.

Is this a good strategy?

From your experience, if one is able to really understand the concepts and do the questions well in the books, what sort of GMAT score is anticipated? I am aiming for +650, preferably 700+

Thanks!
Re: Manhattan GMAT Quant books   [#permalink] 21 Jun 2010, 23:27