Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 08:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Manhattan GMAT SC set-Good one

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 35 [1] , given: 52

Reviews Badge
Manhattan GMAT SC set-Good one [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2010, 13:05
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

52% (01:55) correct 48% (01:13) wrong based on 216 sessions
Question:

Famed for his masterful use of irony, many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories have become classics due to the author slowly revealing at the end of each piece a tragic twist of fate.

A) Famed for his masterful use of irony, many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories have become classics due to the author slowly revealing at the end of each piece a tragic twist of fate.
B) Many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories have become classics because of how he famously and masterfully uses irony, evident in the slow revelation of a tragic twist of fate at the end of each piece.
C) Famed for using irony in a masterful way, many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories have become classics because of the author slowly revealing a tragic twist of fate at the end of each piece.
D) Many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories have become classics because of the author's famed and masterful use of irony, evidenced in the slow revelation of a tragic twist of fate at the end of each piece.
E) Many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories have become classics because he slowly revealed a tragic twist of fate at the end of each piece, demonstrating his famed and masterful use of irony.

Source: MGMAT SC Question Bank Set
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Cornell AMBA, Kellogg, Oxford, Cambridge
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 4

Re: Manhattan GMAT SC set-Good one [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2010, 13:39
This post received
KUDOS
A and C - Modifier error - "Famed for his masterful use of irony" should modify "Guy de Maupassant" and not his stories
B and E - Pronoun error - "He", a subject pronoun, cannot serve as an antecedent to the possessive noun "Guy de Maupassant" (Possessive poison rule)
Manager
Manager
Schools: Admitted: IESE($$),HEC, RSM,Esade
WE 1: 3.5 years international
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 18

Re: Manhattan GMAT SC set-Good one [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2010, 06:42
amirdubai1982 wrote:
Question:

Famed for his masterful use of irony, many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories have become classics due to the author slowly revealing at the end of each piece a tragic twist of fate.

A) Famed for his masterful use of irony, many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories have become classics due to the author slowly revealing at the end of each piece a tragic twist of fate.
B) Many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories have become classics because of how he famously and masterfully uses irony, evident in the slow revelation of a tragic twist of fate at the end of each piece.
C) Famed for using irony in a masterful way, many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories have become classics because of the author slowly revealing a tragic twist of fate at the end of each piece.
D) Many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories have become classics because of the author's famed and masterful use of irony, evidenced in the slow revelation of a tragic twist of fate at the end of each piece.
E) Many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories have become classics because he slowly revealed a tragic twist of fate at the end of each piece, demonstrating his famed and masterful use of irony.

Source: MGMAT SC Question Bank Set

I will pick D. Thsi question mainly deals with modifier usage and ambiguity of pronouns.
A and C are out because the sentence is modifying the wrong part.
D is out because the "he" cannot refer to the possessive antecedent. possessive poison rule.
E- Incorrect Possessive poison rule.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 5

Re: Manhattan GMAT SC set-Good one [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2010, 15:32
Fell for E, because I did not notice the pronoun error in D and preferred the use of 'Because' as a conjunction rather than as a Preposition.

Please give me kudos, if you like the above post.
Thanks.

Current Student
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 65

Re: Manhattan GMAT SC set-Good one [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2010, 16:10
I fell for E as well. :evil: sigh.... Answer is clearly D.

Kudos for the question and explanations.

Every time you see a possessive, you gotta check for a pronoun error!!!

Consider KUDOS if my post was helpful. :-D

My Debrief: 750-q49v42-105591.html#p825487

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE 1: IT 1 Yr
WE 2: Supply Chain 5 Yrs
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 136 [0], given: 11

Re: Manhattan GMAT SC set-Good one [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2012, 06:26
[quote="amirdubai1982"]Question:

Famed for his masterful use of irony, many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories have become classics due to the author slowly revealing at the end of each piece a tragic twist of fate[/u].

A) Famed for his masterful use of irony, many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories have become classics due to the author slowly revealing at the end of each piece a tragic twist of fate. Possessive antecedent
B) Many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories have become classics because of how he famously and masterfully uses irony, evident in the slow revelation of a tragic twist of fate at the end of each piece. Possessive antecedent
C) Famed for using irony in a masterful way, many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories have become classics because of the author slowly revealing a tragic twist of fate at the end of each piece. run on
E) Many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories have become classics because he slowly revealed a tragic twist of fate at the end of each piece, demonstrating his famed and masterful use of irony. Possessive antecedent
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Manhattan GMAT SC set-Good one [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2012, 00:36
Fell for answer E, didn't realize the possessive poison rule, thanks
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 14

Re: Manhattan GMAT SC set-Good one [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2012, 14:17
many options in this question also have modifier error, instead of modifying the author they are modifying "many of author's stories". so misplaced modifier error along with Possessive poison rule
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: Manhattan GMAT SC set-Good one [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2012, 12:57
Doesn't D change the intended meaning? I also recall that the possessive poison rule is a controversial issue that GMAT will almost certainly avoid, as per MGMAT reference itself!
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 11-02-2012
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 17

Re: Manhattan GMAT SC set-Good one [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2012, 07:23
BDSunDevil wrote:
amirdubai1982 wrote:
Question:

Famed for his masterful use of irony, many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories have become classics due to the author slowly revealing at the end of each piece a tragic twist of fate[/u].

A) Famed for his masterful use of irony, many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories have become classics due to the author slowly revealing at the end of each piece a tragic twist of fate. Possessive antecedent
B) Many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories have become classics because of how he famously and masterfully uses irony, evident in the slow revelation of a tragic twist of fate at the end of each piece. Possessive antecedent
C) Famed for using irony in a masterful way, many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories have become classics because of the author slowly revealing a tragic twist of fate at the end of each piece. run on
E) Many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories have become classics because he slowly revealed a tragic twist of fate at the end of each piece, demonstrating his famed and masterful use of irony. Possessive antecedent

I got the right answer, but in regards to your explanation above I don't think that C is a run on sentence. It just has a modification error.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Manhattan GMAT SC set-Good one [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2012, 01:54
Qassam wrote:
Doesn't D change the intended meaning? I also recall that the possessive poison rule is a controversial issue that GMAT will almost certainly avoid, as per MGMAT reference itself!

I agree with you. D changes the intended meaning of the statement.

Original: "Famed for his masterful use of irony, many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories have become classics due to the author slowly revealing at the end of each piece a tragic twist of fate. "

OA: Many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories have become classics because of the author's famed and masterful use of irony, evidenced in the slow revelation of a tragic twist of fate at the end of each piece.

The original statement implied that GDM's short stories became classics due to slow revelation of a tragic incident.
The OA implies that GDM's short stories became classics due to his "famed and masterful use of irony".

The choice is not clear. Experts, any take on this perspective?
SVP
SVP
Followers: 279

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Manhattan GMAT SC set-Good one [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2014, 20:04
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Manhattan GMAT SC set-Good one   [#permalink] 13 Aug 2014, 20:04