Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Aug 2016, 23:50
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Manhattan GMAT Test Simulation Booklet w/ Dry Erase Marker

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 26

Re: Manhattan GMAT Test Simulation Booklet w/ Dry Erase Marker [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2010, 04:51
I ordered the booklet just to see how it looked like, then I have sent it back to amazon without using it. I think it's a good idea to see how it looks like before hitting the test.

Also I guess we can train on it during the "tutorial time" of the real test. I would advise to wear a disposable Tshirt as the ink of the pen will destroy your Gekko French cuff shirts :)
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 2.9
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 100 [1] , given: 5

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2010, 15:55
This post received
KUDOS
I think it is worth mentioning that you are not guaranteed to get a pad that resembles this one. Whilst I think in the US they will likely always be this format when I took the test in the UK the pads were laminated white A4 pages with a heavily ruled rectangular grid (each "cell" being approx 10mm wide by 7mm tall).

The pens were the same though and to be honest the colour / size of the paper shouldn't be that big an issue.

Good judgment comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgment.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 9

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2010, 17:51
bb wrote:
pardeepattri wrote:
Wow, this is nice to see the booklet before exam!

By the way, OG 12 is not included when you go to the exam. I put it next to the booklet to show the size of this monstrosity. :wink:

ha ha.....that would have been great if they provided OG12 in the main exam.... ;)

If you like my post, consider giving me some KUDOS !!!!! Like you I need them

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 18

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2010, 20:48
saxenashobhit wrote:
bb wrote:
pardeepattri wrote:

By the way, OG 12 is not included when you go to the exam. I put it next to the booklet to show the size of this monstrosity. :wink:

ha ha.....that would have been great if they provided OG12 in the main exam.... ;)

Not sure if it would be of great help then :wink:
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 562

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2013, 08:56
hi all

..Are we given limited scratch papers or can we ask for as many as we need. .

hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

My GMAT Journey : http://gmatclub.com/forum/end-of-my-gmat-journey-149328.html#p1197992

BSchool Forum Moderator
Followers: 123

Kudos [?]: 1300 [0], given: 142

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2013, 23:44
BSchool Forum Moderator

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2013, 23:45
pardeepattri wrote:
bb wrote:
pardeepattri wrote:

It won't make any difference even if they provide OG 12 :)

pardeepattri-you commented long back..but I really like it.. :P

UPDATED : e-GMAT SC Resources-Consolidated || ALL RC Resources-Consolidated || ALL SC Resources-Consolidated || UPDATED : AWA compilations-109 Analysis of Argument Essays || NEW !!! GMAC's IR Prep Tool

GMAT Club guide - OG 11-12-13 || Veritas Blog || Manhattan GMAT Blog

KUDOS please, if you like the post or if it helps :-)

BSchool Forum Moderator

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2013, 12:51
debayan222 wrote:
Can we expect more than two markers if required during test day...?

Folks-can anybody share any ideas on this?

UPDATED : e-GMAT SC Resources-Consolidated || ALL RC Resources-Consolidated || ALL SC Resources-Consolidated || UPDATED : AWA compilations-109 Analysis of Argument Essays || NEW !!! GMAC's IR Prep Tool

SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 99

Kudos [?]: 611 [0], given: 432

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2013, 18:09
From what I recall, debayan222, the proctors will provide you with additional markers if necessary. Should the need arise, raise your hand. And to save time, hold the marker in your raised hand to signal to the proctors that you want another one.
BSchool Forum Moderator

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2013, 20:50
BM wrote:
From what I recall, debayan222, the proctors will provide you with additional markers if necessary. Should the need arise, raise your hand. And to save time, hold the marker in your raised hand to signal to the proctors that you want another one.

Wow.....that's great!

Thank you BM :)

P.S: I really like the way we need to get the additional markers if required..it reminds me the elementary school days.. :wink:

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 40

Manhattan GMAT Test Simulation Booklet w/ Dry Erase Marker [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2015, 18:28
Do the same dry erasers that erase markers on big boards work on this booklet?

I wouldn't think so since these are wet erase markers, but melamine works...

Is melamine with a damp towel the best to erase, or something else?

That'd really help save me a trip to the sink and/or paper towels.

Last edited by iPen on 28 Jul 2015, 19:42, edited 2 times in total.
Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Followers: 312

Kudos [?]: 2125 [0], given: 161

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2015, 19:36
Hi All,

A reasonable 'substitute' to the standard 'pad and marker' set is to take 6 sheets of yellow legal pad paper and staple them across the 'short side.' The front side of the first sheet would normally have instructions on it, so you can put a big 'X' across it, leaving you the normal 11 sheet 'faces' to write on. Along with a felt-tip marker, you have a decent approximation of what you'll use on Test Day.

This set-up has 2 advantages over using an actual pad and marker:

1) You can create several of these pads before starting your CAT, as swap them out as needed.
2) You can keep your notes from each CAT (for later review), instead of having to erase an actual pad every time you use it.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests

60-point improvement guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [1] , given: 40

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2015, 13:41
This post received
KUDOS
Reflecting on the MGMAT booklet, here are some insights I took away from using it that may be overlooked if you're still considering to study with it.

1) Use the booklet horizontally. It won't get in the way of the keyboard, or you, for that matter. You may actually like it better that way.

2) You'll discover (or rediscover) if you write big, and set yourself to train to write smaller. It's better to get used to writing smaller now than on test day!

3) You'll learn that if you write in an unorganized manner, the amount of space you waste is much more noticeable, because you may find yourself consistently moving onto the next clean page. This may sound like it's not such a big deal, but the booklet doesn't give you an unlimited number of pages - far from it. There are only several (10 or so) pages so staying organized matters more than if you were to practice on paper, which you may have more of to work with while practicing. Training yourself to be more organized may mean less time wasted waiting for a new booklet.

4) Don't write as much - at least for the verbal section. If you're able to do questions without writing, that's a good sign of where you're headed. This one you probably already knew or realized while writing on paper, but the less you write, the more time you have to read and think. I've personally realized how much I don't look at my notes for the verbal section.
EDIT: that is, if you write too much and your notes aren't efficient, don't write as much. Learn to make do with less and utilize efficient shorthand.

5. If you like writing with bold or gel pens, the test day marker will annoy you. Get used to it since that's what they'll give you on test day. It's an ultra fine point 0.4mm tip that sometimes doesn't write well if your writing angle is off. Not to mention, the marker may run dry while you leave it uncapped, or it may have dried out from the last test takers who used your marker.
Also, remember that these are not dry erase markers - they're wet erase. They both erase, but one comes off more easily with water, so you won't accidentally smudge it off (as much) - learning how to interact with something as minor as how the wet erase markers work may be something that'll make you more comfortable.

Last edited by iPen on 30 Jul 2015, 20:28, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Followers: 312

Kudos [?]: 2125 [0], given: 161

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2015, 17:52
Hi iPen,

I'm sure that your suggestions will prove quite helpful to Test Takers who are looking to hone their 'mechanics' for Test Day. However, point #4 is a BIG potential mistake. Silly errors and little mistakes tend to KILL Test Takers and they're almost always caused by NOT taking enough notes. Choosing to write less on the pad is a dubious gamble; if you're 'off' (even a little bit) or you miss some detail in the question (and don't factor it into the work you're doing 'in your head'), then you'll likely get the question wrong (and in the Verbal section, you have no way of realizing when you have done the work incorrectly). The solution to all of these little problems is to take MORE notes and do so in an organized fashion.

Rich

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests

60-point improvement guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 40

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2015, 18:20
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi iPen,

I'm sure that your suggestions will prove quite helpful to Test Takers who are looking to hone their 'mechanics' for Test Day. However, point #4 is a BIG potential mistake. Silly errors and little mistakes tend to KILL Test Takers and they're almost always caused by NOT taking enough notes. Choosing to write less on the pad is a dubious gamble; if you're 'off' (even a little bit) or you miss some detail in the question (and don't factor it into the work you're doing 'in your head'), then you'll likely get the question wrong (and in the Verbal section, you have no way of realizing when you have done the work incorrectly). The solution to all of these little problems is to take MORE notes and do so in an organized fashion.

Rich

I should have been more clear. I do write, I just write more concisely with more efficient shorthand that works for me.

On one extreme, writing everything down and paraphrasing will mean a lot of time will be wasted. On the other extreme, writing nothing means that some content will need to be reread, so for example, writing an efficient outline of each paragraph of the reading comprehension section will be good. I have my own system of writing, but compared to when I started, I don't write nearly as much down.

So, I should have stated that one will discover to write less and get more out of it, while developing one's best system of note taking.
Manhattan GMAT Test Simulation Booklet w/ Dry Erase Marker   [#permalink] 29 Jul 2015, 18:20

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 35 posts ]