Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:30 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [0]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Manhattan GMAT test vs GMAT prep - Thougths? [#permalink]
GMATNinja wrote:
Jumsumtak is completely correct, as usual. :) The GMATPrep runs exactly the same algorithm as the actual GMAT, so it's generally a much better indicator of your progress than anything produced by test-prep companies.

Just a hunch: did you have far worse timing problems on your MGMAT tests? Are there a bunch of quant questions that took you 3 minutes or more? If so, that's pretty normal--you're probably getting stubborn on the toughest MGMAT questions, and that goofs up your timing on the entire section.

Anyway, 87% on the GMATPrep Question Pack sounds great, and the GMATPrep scores sound great, too. Keep working with official questions if you're doing any more studying before your exam, and you'll be fine. Good luck on Thursday!

Thanks for the response, hopefully i will reach my target tomorrow morning. But yes I had timing problems in the MGMAT quant section. I found their problems to be very long and needed far more computing of all kind of factors. The complete opposite on the GMAT prep software, if I knew the concept I would be able to solve the problem in 90 seconds but on MGMAT even if I completely knew the concept I was around 2-3 minutes solving it, and even more of course on the problems I found very difficult.

Also one thing! I found the critical reasoning part in the MGMAT test very frustrating, since I was very often left with two very similar answer choices, I had around 65-70% accuracy on the MGMAT but 85-90% on the GMAT prep! Anyone else who feels this way about the CR part in MGMAT?

Cheers guys!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1832 [0]
Given Kudos: 370
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Health Care)
Send PM
arnijon90 wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
Jumsumtak is completely correct, as usual. :) The GMATPrep runs exactly the same algorithm as the actual GMAT, so it's generally a much better indicator of your progress than anything produced by test-prep companies.

Just a hunch: did you have far worse timing problems on your MGMAT tests? Are there a bunch of quant questions that took you 3 minutes or more? If so, that's pretty normal--you're probably getting stubborn on the toughest MGMAT questions, and that goofs up your timing on the entire section.

Anyway, 87% on the GMATPrep Question Pack sounds great, and the GMATPrep scores sound great, too. Keep working with official questions if you're doing any more studying before your exam, and you'll be fine. Good luck on Thursday!

Thanks for the response, hopefully i will reach my target tomorrow morning. But yes I had timing problems in the MGMAT quant section. I found their problems to be very long and needed far more computing of all kind of factors. The complete opposite on the GMAT prep software, if I knew the concept I would be able to solve the problem in 90 seconds but on MGMAT even if I completely knew the concept I was around 2-3 minutes solving it, and even more of course on the problems I found very difficult.

Also one thing! I found the critical reasoning part in the MGMAT test very frustrating, since I was very often left with two very similar answer choices, I had around 65-70% accuracy on the MGMAT but 85-90% on the GMAT prep! Anyone else who feels this way about the CR part in MGMAT?

Cheers guys!

Hi,
Agree with gmatninja and jumsumtak above, 700+ looks comfortable. The MGMT CR questions are a bit trickier than those on the gmatprep and you need more time to solve them ,esp. the abstract and parallel reasoning questions.
I would recommend ,in quant, that you bail on the questions you think you will need 3+ minutes to solve this will give you more time to do more questions you actually can do in 2 mins with 100% accuracy and give you a score increase on 2-3 points at least. All the best for tomorrow. Do tell how it went.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
The exam went terrible!! Don´t know what went wrong.. I scored 600... (42Q, 29V) ... Feel like jumping off a cliff

The first quant example was a simple rate problem and I spent 4 minutes over it.. Could not solve it.. I solved it in 30 sec when I got home.. (I remembered the example).

What happened in my brain...
Retired Moderator
Send PM
arnijon90 wrote:
The exam went terrible!! Don´t know what went wrong.. I scored 600... (42Q, 29V) ... Feel like jumping off a cliff

The first quant example was a simple rate problem and I spent 4 minuites.. Could not solve it.. I solved it in 30 sec when I got home.. (I remembered the example).

Hey buddy really sorry to hear about your score drop. What I can gauge from your post so far that probably your timing went awry and you were pretty tensed going in to take the test (simple rate problem --4 mins)
V29 means you did poorly at least on 2 sections , may be fell in the traps?, timing was a serious issue? felt too stressed and fatigued?

well, you content knowledge was (rather is) a 700 but probably timing and stress management wan't up to the mark.
your disappointment and disbelief are valid BUT I would suggest that you don't give up

Please take few days off to refresh and give the test another try
Intern
Intern
Send PM
dentobizz wrote:
arnijon90 wrote:

The first quant example was a simple rate problem and I spent 4 minuites.. Could not solve it.. I solved it in 30 sec when I got home.. (I remembered the example).

Hey buddy really sorry to hear about your score drop. What I can gauge from your post so far that probably your timing went awry and you were pretty tensed going in to take the test (simple rate problem --4 mins)
V29 means you did poorly at least on 2 sections , may be fell in the traps?, timing was a serious issue? felt too stressed and fatigued?

well, you content knowledge was (rather is) a 700 but probably timing and stress management wan't up to the mark.
your disappointment and disbelief are valid BUT I would suggest that you don't give up

Please take few days off to refresh and give the test another try

Yes, stress was definitely a factor, however, I felt I was doing good on the verbal part, got 2 boldface CR questions... And found the SC question easy... But one thing that I thought was most frusturating was the notepad I was given and the pen to write with... First of all, if I didn´t write with the pen for 20 seconds it dried up, took 2-5 seconds making it work again. When I was at my 30 quant question I had used up all the notepad and the administrator was very long to notice my hand signal and finally came with a new one.. 4 minutes later or something..

So several factors ..Just feel very depressed now
Retired Moderator
Send PM
It only logical that you feel depressed after all the effort you made. If it makes you feel any better my score dropped frm 730 (mgmt and gmat prep mocks) to 600 actual exam , needless to say I was heartbroken, angry and disappointed.Later on I reflected with a fresh mind what could have gone wrong.But I remember Ron saying on the forums that if the test feels easy you most probably are falling into the traps and BF questions can appear at 650/700/750 levels so you can't gauge your performance by that alone. Some 750 scorers didn't get BF questions at all. Timing, Stress and, Stamina are the most underated and underprepared areas for most test takers and they can be deal breakers on the G-Day. And to make matters worse the delay with the pen and notepad do happen quite a lot if not always. A tip about the pen if you don't use it for sometime the tip tends to dry up, so one has to keep it caped most of the time.
Do try to get some mental rest and analyse what went wrong in a day or two. There is a good post about analysing your score drop will find and post it . Best

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Send PM
arnijon90,

When you took your MGMAT and GMAT Prep tests, did you complete all the sections (Essay, IR etc) with the breaks in between as well? If not, you should do that.
Also, since your GMAT PREP scores are slightly better, had you seen any of those questions before (in forums, Thursdays with Ron etc)? If so, your scores on GMAT PREP may be inflated a little bit.

Also, MGMAT Quant is harder than the actual GMAT's Quant. So, you could easily add another 2 points to your MGMAT Quant score. That's not true with MGMAT's Verbal though. It's the closest to GMAT Prep (but no way the same as that).
If I were you, I would take it easy and not be too hard on myself. Have a nice break for a week or so and give the GMAT again. Also, give another GMAT prep after a few weeks (properly timed). If possible, purchase the GMAT PREP question bank (350 additional questions or so). That is very helpful as well, given that they are totally new.

Good Luck.
GMAT Club Bot